Vacuum recommendations

Okay, I know this thing is expensive, but I've had my Miele for 20 years and it still works perfectly. I expect unless I have some crazy need to buy a new vacuum just because that I'll still have it 20 years from now. My BFF has one too and she's had hers maybe a year longer than I've had mine and she vacuums way more often than I do. Hers is also in perfect shape. I mean, cosmetically, the canister isn't pristine, but the thing works, which is what counts. And, yeah, one has to cut the long hair out of the rollers. I don't know that there's any vacuum that's long-hair friendly!

How long are you talking? I've never had to cut hair out of any of my Shark vacuum rollers. The hair goes straight into the dust canister and spins around and around and when I dump it out, it's one big ball of hair. My hair is about 12 inches long at its longest.

My update - I like it so far. I really like it on the hard floors. That extra little soft brush really dusts the floors as it cleans. On the carpet it is super hard to maneuver. It wants to go so fast that I have to hold it back. I feel like if I let go, it would go flying across the room! Doesn't feel like that on the hard floor. It did a good job with the carpet. I liked this lift away function better than my old lift away. My old one you lifted it off the floor head and you could use the wand to get higher places. This one, you lift it off the wand but you can still use the floor head, if that makes sense. It goes under furniture great that way! But the plug is on the part you lift away so you still have to carry that around while trying to control the vacuum. I think the cup on this one smaller than my old one, or my carpet much dirtier than I thought. lol

How long are you talking? I've never had to cut hair out of any of my Shark vacuum rollers. The hair goes straight into the dust canister and spins around and around and when I dump it out, it's one big ball of hair. My hair is about 12 inches long at its longest.

I have definitely cut hair out of my old shark roller. So gross to do.

I know this one is expensive too, but our Rainbow E-Series is great. We purchased it about 12 years ago now and it picks up more dirt/hair/other than anything else we have ever had.

Okay, I know this thing is expensive, but I've had my Miele for 20 years and it still works perfectly. I expect unless I have some crazy need to buy a new vacuum just because that I'll still have it 20 years from now. My BFF has one too and she's had hers maybe a year longer than I've had mine and she vacuums way more often than I do. Hers is also in perfect shape. I mean, cosmetically, the canister isn't pristine, but the thing works, which is what counts. And, yeah, one has to cut the long hair out of the rollers. I don't know that there's any vacuum that's long-hair friendly!
Bissel Pet Hair Remover. The way they’ve designed the brush I never have to cut hair from it. It’s not high end but it’s a beast when it comes to dog hair and two girls with almost waist length hair. It’s hard floor and hose capabilities leave something to be desired but I’d replace it in a heartbeat for the high pile carpet downstairs.
My Shark (Lift Away) could not handle the combo of dog, two girls with very long hair and high pile carpet. I banished it upstairs for the lower pile. I still have to sit down and cut the hair from it after every use and that’s mostly my younger DD’s hair. The dog isn’t allowed upstairs and older DD is rarely up there. That said, that thing is worth it’s weight in gold for window shades, dusting high up, the stairs and hard floors. We’ll be getting the same carpet upstairs sometime this year but I’ll keep the Shark just for those things.

Every vacuum we have ever had we had to cut hair out of. My hair is at it's longest, now but usually is shoulder length as well as DD. I have three boys with short hair. LOL. I haven no idea where all the hair is coming from. I would say once every four months we cut the hair out or the roller brushes stop turning.

Every vacuum we have ever had we had to cut hair out of. My hair is at it's longest, now but usually is shoulder length as well as DD. I have three boys with short hair. LOL. I haven no idea where all the hair is coming from. I would say once every four months we cut the hair out or the roller brushes stop turning.
Never had to do this with the kenmore

Never had to do this with the kenmore

This is good to know :)

I've been the proud (and sometimes not-so-proud) owner of three dysons and we've always had to cut the hair off the roller on a pretty regular basis. There are three girls in this house with long'ish hair and apparently, we shed a lot. I feel like Dysons do not handle that well. Just got my shark navigator lift-away so we'll see how it does. I'd love a vacuum that didn't require constantly cutting hair off the roller!

This is good to know :)

I've been the proud (and sometimes not-so-proud) owner of three dysons and we've always had to cut the hair off the roller on a pretty regular basis. There are three girls in this house with long'ish hair and apparently, we shed a lot. I feel like Dysons do not handle that well. Just got my shark navigator lift-away so we'll see how it does. I'd love a vacuum that didn't require constantly cutting hair off the roller!
I have long hair too so I know what you mean. My vacuum is pretty old and there is nothing fancy about it. I can remember my vacuum I had before this one would get stuff wrapped around the roller. I don't know what the difference is but it's really not an issue.

I will say my husband hates this vacuum. He gets mad because it doesn't roll straight. But how often does he really use it anyway.

We've had a Dyson (DC-7? I think? It's red and purple) for goodness, close to 20 years I guess. It was the only thing that was a point of argument in my divorce, LOL, seriously! I love that thing. It still has great suction. I called the help line just the other day for a telephone check-up. Those techs are FABULOUS and in the past had me look in one of the hidey-holes and there was a stick ballpoint pen in there. KIDS.

We have a dog, and a granddog who visits, and long hair, so we DO have to cut the hair off the roller. I've called a moratorium on animals in the house once the elderly dogs die, and at that point I'll get new flooring and a new Dyson.

Hi. Just saw this now. My hair's at least twice as long as yours--it's 4"-5" below my waist and I'm 5'4".

I had to come back and tell one more vacuum story. On a whim my daughter got the wifi Roomba vac and she is enchanted. She called last night talking about how awesome it was and that she had spent a good portion of the evening just watching it. :rotfl:

She has a small apartment, long hair, and a large dog that sheds constantly, and a mixture of hardwood, carpet, and area rugs and it was handling it all like a champ. Dark hardwood floors + white dog shedding constantly = aggravated daughter LOL

I had to come back and tell one more vacuum story. On a whim my daughter got the wifi Roomba vac and she is enchanted. She called last night talking about how awesome it was and that she had spent a good portion of the evening just watching it. :rotfl:

She has a small apartment, long hair, and a large dog that sheds constantly, and a mixture of hardwood, carpet, and area rugs and it was handling it all like a champ. Dark hardwood floors + white dog shedding constantly = aggravated daughter LOL

my daughter has wanted a robotic vac for years and finally broke down and bought one on Prime Day. no dog, but 2 daughters will very long hair, all hardwood floors, some area rugs and she is a clean freak. She loves hers, the kids named it "Poppie". they are fun to watch:rotfl2:

I once heard a story about a robotic vac that was used while away and a sick dog. The story did not end well. lol Has me scared of those, or I guess the lesson is don't use while you are gone if you have a pet at home.

my daughter has wanted a robotic vac for years and finally broke down and bought one on Prime Day. no dog, but 2 daughters will very long hair, all hardwood floors, some area rugs and she is a clean freak. She loves hers, the kids named it "Poppie". they are fun to watch:rotfl2:

My daughter named hers Fernando!

I once heard a story about a robotic vac that was used while away and a sick dog. The story did not end well. lol Has me scared of those, or I guess the lesson is don't use while you are gone if you have a pet at home.

:crazy2: :eek: :faint:

Oh my! That sounds like a bad, bad day.

Had my Dyson canister for almost a decade. Replaced multiple parts and still going strong. I love that it's bagless (a must for me). And it's powerful. I have hardwood floor and pets. I heard Miele is great too.

I bought my Shark last year on black Friday and have no complaints! I absolutely love it. Picks up my long hair, picks up after my messy tennage son. I would never get anything else.

My update - I like it so far. I really like it on the hard floors. That extra little soft brush really dusts the floors as it cleans. On the carpet it is super hard to maneuver. It wants to go so fast that I have to hold it back. I feel like if I let go, it would go flying across the room! Doesn't feel like that on the hard floor. It did a good job with the carpet. I liked this lift away function better than my old lift away. My old one you lifted it off the floor head and you could use the wand to get higher places. This one, you lift it off the wand but you can still use the floor head, if that makes sense. It goes under furniture great that way! But the plug is on the part you lift away so you still have to carry that around while trying to control the vacuum. I think the cup on this one smaller than my old one, or my carpet much dirtier than I thought. lol
If you don't want it to seem to pull as you use it on carpet adjust the switch on the handle (the same one you use to switch to hard floors), this will release some of the suction and it won't pull so hard and be more controllable, my wife was having the same problem.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!