Vaccine, Covid, and reopening updates

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good news although I'm hearing of other artists not restarting yet or canceling tours that hadn't been cancelled yet. I don't think it's been fully confirmed that they will be at full capacity but rather no capacity was mentioned. That can mean no capacity at all or it can mean that hasn't been worked out yet. All venues have to agree to full capacity too. But the farther out you go in dates the more likely that is.

Yep. Halsey and Disturbed both cancelled their summer tours already, and I don't expect Alanis Morrisette will happen as (re)scheduled in September either. It is nice to hear at least some artists are planning on going back out on tour this year, though. Less time in the car means I don't listen to enough radio these days, and I hadn't heard about Chris Stapleton but now that I have, I'm definitely getting tickets.

I'm watching what's happening with big concerts around the country very closely. We were supposed to see BTS at Soldier Field in June of 2020. It's still just "postponed". Since they perform in outdoor stadiums, they can't schedule over the colder months. Very curious to see if there's any way to still get this done this year or if we'll be into 2022.

Only if one of them has full approval from the FDA which is actually not that likely, to go from EUA too Full needs more than 3-6 months. Remember they had hoped for April and not a word, full is typically after years of studying and following .
The California state universities start the semester very late, usually the end of September/beginning of October. By then Pfizer will certainly be fully approved.

They are aiming for June, according to my husband's government sources at the DoD. The military brass are desperate to be allowed to mandate vaccination for servicememvers. Their decline rate is a massive force readiness problem.

EDIT: most recent timeline as of today is end of July/early August for Pfizer approval.
So just to update, I heard on the radio on my way home that it's full approval OR Fall semester 2021. If that's true, then I think they'll make it mandatory for any summer session if approved prior to Fall.

The health experts still are preaching caution. Several states, Minnesota, Pennsylvania, Florida, New Jersey and New York are still at risk of spikes.
Remember, the vaccine does not stop the spread of covid, it just means those vaccinated aren't going to get as sick, require hospitalization or die. And now booster shots may be needed on an annual basis.

https://www.healthline.com/health-n...-2#block-7560b4e1-bf82-4661-a1f2-4efa99fc9604
Well, given we are only 5 months into vaccines for the general public, probably way too soon to reach a conclusion
No, they actually do know this. And have reported on it quite a bit. It's not a 100% of course, but I think the last I read was Pfizer was about 90% effective against getting & spreading it after both doses.

So just to update, I heard on the radio on my way home that it's full approval OR Fall semester 2021. If that's true, then I think they'll make it mandatory for any summer session if approved prior to Fall.

The UC press release says it would go into effect once there is full approval, though the wording is a little goofy. It sounds like they are expecting full approval soon though (consistent with what others have said here already), if they’re saying with with regards to fall 2021.

https://www.universityofcalifornia....university-communities-while-reviewing-policy

No, they actually do know this. And have reported on it quite a bit. It's not a 100% of course, but I think the last I read was Pfizer was about 90% effective against getting & spreading it after both doses.
Well, CDC as of today apparently didn't know this.
"
What We are Still Learning
  • We are still learning how well vaccines prevent you from spreading the virus that causes COVID-19 to others, even if you do not have symptoms."

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/201...cdc covid vaccine:sem.ga:p:RG:GM:gen:PTN:FY21

I'm watching what's happening with big concerts around the country very closely. We were supposed to see BTS at Soldier Field in June of 2020. It's still just "postponed". Since they perform in outdoor stadiums, they can't schedule over the colder months. Very curious to see if there's any way to still get this done this year or if we'll be into 2022.
We don't really have concerts in mind but I do know my husband is watching what shows and how they come back for Vegas in case we make it back there again this year. Shows are tied so much to the Vegas experience. We missed out on Penn & Teller in 2019 (the one week one of them had an illness and had to cancel) but he's hoping to eventually see them.

I live in Maine. As of 10am on 4/22, 52.2% of the eligible population has had one dose, 40.4% are fully vaccinated. Ages 16 and up are eligible. I think those numbers are pretty good. We are still masking/distancing and indoor venues (movies, restaurants, theaters, etc) are limited to 50% capacity (going to 75% at the end of May).

Last edited:
In NJ, we have 2,631,691 fully vaccinated adults, which is 38% of our adult population. That's kind of disappointing this far into the game. I just heard our Governor say today that their goal is to hit 70% vaccinated by the end of June. So...we're a little over half way to his goal, and it'll be interesting to see if we can get there.

It's really something how Covid is still circulating in my area. I had two customers reach out this week to give me a head's up that they each had a high schooler home with Covid. It's really running through the schools here.
At 38%, your state is above the average. Hang in there and let's see where things end up at end of May. That is going to tell us just how many anti vaxxers there are compared to what polls are telling us.

Yep. Halsey and Disturbed both cancelled their summer tours already, and I don't expect Alanis Morrisette will happen as (re)scheduled in September either. It is nice to hear at least some artists are planning on going back out on tour this year, though. Less time in the car means I don't listen to enough radio these days, and I hadn't heard about Chris Stapleton but now that I have, I'm definitely getting tickets.

Dierk's Bentley is still on a Firekeepers right now (fingers crossed). I still have my 6 tickets from last year's cancelled concert.

Pfizer's study showed it was 97% effective in not getting Covid and 93% effective in not spreading. Further the CDC last week announced that of the 66 million fully vaccinated there were a total of 5800 people who have been confirmed to come down with COVID, or only .008%--way better than most expected. Bottom line is the vaccine has been incredibly effective.

At 38%, your state is above the average. Hang in there and let's see where things end up at end of May. That is going to tell us just how many anti vaxxers there are compared to what polls are telling us.

Knowing that polling has been garbage for the last decade, I think we'll all be very happily surprised by the end of May:)...

Cases are still dropping and taking big drops each day! It really might end up looking like Israel in ways since they did the same big drop for weeks and tiny looking increase and back to steep dropping.

Michigan yesterday reported half as many cases as one week prior, and hospitalizations are down by about 10%. I'm sure that's having a big effect on the national numbers since we've been worst for so many weeks now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter