Vacations this summer

Doing a 16 day road trip, staying somewhere different each night.
All new to us locations.
Did not want to deal with flights this year despite we have tons of frequent flyer points piled up.

I am going over to Cocoa Beach for a couple weeks in Early September, and then I will be home for a few days and head to Disney for the anniversary weekend. Then I will be starting my job hunt in earnest and probably won’t be going on vacation for a while if it’s successful (although I have a week at Disney booked for January in case I’m still free . . . ;) ). Summer vacations in Florida are too hot for me.

We got back from 2 glorious weeks on Maui in July. I have 3 weeks left that I can use this year. I should just to back to Maui by myself and have some me time. (DBF just started a new job so he can't go lol).

I should just to back to Maui by myself and have some me time.

That sounds lovely...sometime soon I'm going to do something similar I think. I've traveled plenty for work by myself, but I've never traveled for vacation by myself. Would probably be a very relaxing experience!

I live in the DC metro area and everywhere I've been people never stopped wearing masks - I'd say 70-90% of folks in places not required to wear them were still wearing them. Now most surrounding counties and DC have gone back to indoor mask mandates as of this week. I've been fairly cautious about going out pre-vaccine and still cautious post-vaccine and I'd feel comfortable going downtown to the museums, etc. especially being masked up (and I'm vaccinated). I hope they have a great trip!

I was considering a trip to Asheville to visit the Biltmore for a couple of days but I'm on the fence about it now. One tour we wanted to do in the Asheville area has cancelled already due to the resurgence of covid. I had considered an August WDW trip before that and cancelled it because the crowding was just too intense for me - and I really wish they had brought fast passes back. I'm supposed to go in December and I don't plan to cancel that one unless things are worse than they are now - which I don't expect!

Thank you, Selket. Just got a photo of my sister's granddaughters outside near a statute all masked up. Personally I wish they good have whipped them down for a second to see their beautiful grins but that's me. They're have a great time which is what counts. :goodvibes:

That sounds lovely...sometime soon I'm going to do something similar I think. I've traveled plenty for work by myself, but I've never traveled for vacation by myself. Would probably be a very relaxing experience!
In 2019 I attempted a solo vacation to WDW. It ended up being me, DD, DGS, my sister and her family. lol So much for that! Next time I want a solo I'm not telling anyone!

School started on a Friday? Seems counterproductive.
From a teacher: The BEST day to start school is a Thursday. Friday is second best. Why?

- Kids aren't focused on academics that first day. They're all about what they're wearing (and what everyone else is wearing), who's in their classes, and the biggie: with whom will they sit at lunch? When they start on a Thursday or Friday, those two days are kinda "throwaways" to get these social things out of the way -- and THEN kids are ready to focus. When they have 1-2 days of back-to-school, then a weekend break, they have a natural "starting point" for academics. When we start on a Monday, the kids kinda treat the whole five days a "throwaways'.
- When kids start on a Thursday or Friday, they go the first day, get their list of school supplies, and have the weekend to get their stuff together.
- When kids start on a Thursday or Friday, those first days are for meeting the teachers, learning their way around to their classes, learning classroom routines, reviewing how to check their school email and log into online work. The first days are for class meeting with the principal and learning-your-names games in class. Then Monday is when academics kick in.
- Kids aren't used to getting up, coming in early ... so 1-2 days, then the weekend is perfect to kinda kick them back into the routine. When they start on a Monday, the kids are dragging by the end of the week.

Last edited:
Leaving on Saturday and headed to the Cape (ie Cape Cod) for a week. We rented a cottage right on the beach. I’m hoping for beach weather all week. I’m pretty excited. I haven’t had a full week off since last August.

I live in the DC metro area and everywhere I've been people never stopped wearing masks - I'd say 70-90% of folks in places not required to wear them were still wearing them. Now most surrounding counties and DC have gone back to indoor mask mandates as of this week.

I guess "DC Metro" is a pretty big area because I'm in Maryland and only PG and Montgomery counties have gone back to inside masks. Gov. Hogan had a press conference maybe Friday and said he had no plans to bring back mask mandates. I would say I see maybe 25-30% of shoppers wearing masks. Masks are optional at work, in court (had jury duty last week), etc.

Florida got our tourism dollars twice during the pandemic simply because they were open. Now that we can finally go to California, we are doing so over fall break in October. We are fully vaccinated and more than ready to go!

I guess "DC Metro" is a pretty big area because I'm in Maryland and only PG and Montgomery counties have gone back to inside masks. Gov. Hogan had a press conference maybe Friday and said he had no plans to bring back mask mandates. I would say I see maybe 25-30% of shoppers wearing masks. Masks are optional at work, in court (had jury duty last week), etc.

Im on the Eastern Shore and I’ve got 2 neighbors drive into DC for work. I don’t know how they do it…. Anne Arundel County has just put a mask mandate back on, inside all public bldgs & other places. I can’t recall at moment the other specifics but t that’s the jist of it.

Last edited:
Sigh. I've had several vacations scheduled that we wound up cancelling. One with my parents to the Maryland shore in July. Dad was diagnosed with terminal cancer in January, so we canceled because he was going to be in the midst of treatments, etc. I wound up staying with them February through April (they're in MD, I'm in IL).

Then he was doing better so DH and I planned a trip to the Upper Peninsula in August. Then it was determined that my dad needed radiation, and that nixed that plan. I've been in MD since July 30 - going home Saturday. We'd just moved DD into her college apartment and had a bunch of my husband's family over. Sad that driving 13 hours from IL to MD counts as a vacation for me.

Glad our office is still working remotely so I can do this -- he doesn't need help per se, but they like the company (to an extent...). Now with the virus getting worse again, it's likely we won't go anywhere. Our last trip was to upper Wisconsin, and my mother got sick and hospitalized in the middle of that.

And my brain is completely fried. I really need a chance to disconnect completely, and that's not going to happen for quite a while. I've got a bunch of vacation to use before losing it at the end of the year (physically and psychologically).

tl;dr No.

Last edited:
My district is officially back to school today so no more vacations for us. Next closest thing? Labor day in Disney.

. Spent the 4th of July hiking and picnicking with the finale being fireworks in Poughkeepsie.
Bastille Day, at a friends‘ property upstate NY for a three day weekend of outdoor movie screenings, dancing and of course, good eats. We won’t do any group celebration of David Bowie’s life for the second year in a row but there is always next year.

August 15th, I hope to see most of my family during a mammoth canning session at elder sister’s house, masks required. Mom and the man won’t be there but I’m sure they’d appreciate the continuance.

Have a short trip planned for Labor Day at Indian Lake for some primitive boat only access camping.None of my family is remotely interested in going (lmao!) so it’ll be 6 to 10 unrelated friends celebrating the man’s life. I wish times were different but think he’d understand.

Betwixt and between, DGD and I have scheduled visits to various local museums.
Oh right, just notified that the SHSAT test is rescheduled for mid August and we are discussing if DGD will take it. She’s mentally settled that Columbia is where she wants to go whilst I’m still “dreaming” of BX Science. Decisions, decisions. One way or the other, I don’t need to pay for schooling so that’s a good thing.

Last edited:
I live in Montgomery County, even though there was no mask mandate, most people were still wearing them in places I went. Montgomery County has reinstated indoor mask mandates now so everyone should be wearing them again.

No FL for me. I want to head to the Northeast this fall. Just need to figure out where.
We visited relatives in Cape Cod one October and it was just beautiful. Great weather, no crowds, perfect. The only downside was that some places were closed until the summer tourist season, but most things were open.

We had planned to go to Galveston for a long weekend and cancelled. We had previously planned to spend a week in the mountains for a week and cancelled that too. I'm hoping by Spring Break it's settled back down and we can get on the road again.

Latest posts

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter