Vacation Tips for Women! :)

not for everyone, esp.very heavy flow.... you kind of just...know.... it feels very 'clean' in comparison to other options in general,but for me, there are times when I have to check every hour to be sure,and wear a liner for protection there is nothing else as great as this item when it's hot outside and you're traveling! I suggest getting used to it for a couple of months before a trip....

I was just browsing through and loving the talk on the Divacup as this sort of product changed my life 7 years ago and I haven't looked back!
I always feel guilty for not talking about it more as it makes such a positive impact on the environment and is so much healthier for women than the chemical laden pads and tampons (which in my, and my friends experience- actually make you bleed more!!).

Definitely try it out before any trip as pp have suggested it has a learning curve. Also look into other brands. If you are at all a smaller person or a virgin or just very sensitive down there- try a softer brand. I always had trouble with tampons, any pads that weren't all natural and organic, etc. as I am generally super sensitive.
I love the ladycup brand cups as they are a bit smaller and softer. This does mean I have to go to the bathroom every 3 hours on the heaviest flow day but I truly don't feel it and half the time forget I have my period! It's important to test around as each woman is shaped differently. My skinny sister needs the large size lady cup or she has trouble with leakage. It all depends on how you are shaped down there and how heavy your flow is.

The lack of chemicals means less cramps for a lot of people too! I can also say my gynecologist was very pleased I was using this. Said it's the best!

I recommend taking the flushabale toilet paper wipes in the beginning when out. Eventually you get the hang of it and it is not as messy. I wash my hands before always and use the paper towel to open the stall door and close it.
I also empty it in the shower every morning in the hot water and find it a nice start. For sterilizing I use a quarter of a milton tab in a mug- that's all you need. One box of milton tabs lasts at least 2 years.

So now you all know waayyy too much about me but if I can convince even one person to try out cups I'll consider it a success! I haven't bought anything but a pack of sterilizing tablets for my period in 7 years. Not only are the economical and environmental benefits great- it also is healthier. I never worry about going swimming. I never stress about having enough with me or where to buy pads if I am camping or in Egypt. I never feel it unless it's getting full.. I never run out of stock, I never care if there isn't a trashcan in the toilet I'm using (you're really not supposed to flush tampons)... and don't need one in my toilet at home, and it is not an item in my budget!

Have I convinced anyone yet? ^_^

I was just browsing through and loving the talk on the Divacup as this sort of product changed my life 7 years ago and I haven't looked back! I always feel guilty for not talking about it more as it makes such a positive impact on the environment and is so much healthier for women than the chemical laden pads and tampons (which in my, and my friends experience- actually make you bleed more!!). Definitely try it out before any trip as pp have suggested it has a learning curve. Also look into other brands. If you are at all a smaller person or a virgin or just very sensitive down there- try a softer brand. I always had trouble with tampons, any pads that weren't all natural and organic, etc. as I am generally super sensitive. I love the ladycup brand cups as they are a bit smaller and softer. This does mean I have to go to the bathroom every 3 hours on the heaviest flow day but I truly don't feel it and half the time forget I have my period! It's important to test around as each woman is shaped differently. My skinny sister needs the large size lady cup or she has trouble with leakage. It all depends on how you are shaped down there and how heavy your flow is. The lack of chemicals means less cramps for a lot of people too! I can also say my gynecologist was very pleased I was using this. Said it's the best! I recommend taking the flushabale toilet paper wipes in the beginning when out. Eventually you get the hang of it and it is not as messy. I wash my hands before always and use the paper towel to open the stall door and close it. I also empty it in the shower every morning in the hot water and find it a nice start. For sterilizing I use a quarter of a milton tab in a mug- that's all you need. One box of milton tabs lasts at least 2 years. So now you all know waayyy too much about me but if I can convince even one person to try out cups I'll consider it a success! I haven't bought anything but a pack of sterilizing tablets for my period in 7 years. Not only are the economical and environmental benefits great- it also is healthier. I never worry about going swimming. I never stress about having enough with me or where to buy pads if I am camping or in Egypt. I never feel it unless it's getting full.. I never run out of stock, I never care if there isn't a trashcan in the toilet I'm using (you're really not supposed to flush tampons)... and don't need one in my toilet at home, and it is not an item in my budget! Have I convinced anyone yet? ^_^
I just bought one and started using it. It's a challenge to get it just right at the beginning. But I agree these are way better than any product out there.

I was just browsing through and loving the talk on the Divacup as this sort of product changed my life 7 years ago and I haven't looked back! I always feel guilty for not talking about it more as it makes such a positive impact on the environment and is so much healthier for women than the chemical laden pads and tampons (which in my, and my friends experience- actually make you bleed more!!). Definitely try it out before any trip as pp have suggested it has a learning curve. Also look into other brands. If you are at all a smaller person or a virgin or just very sensitive down there- try a softer brand. I always had trouble with tampons, any pads that weren't all natural and organic, etc. as I am generally super sensitive. I love the ladycup brand cups as they are a bit smaller and softer. This does mean I have to go to the bathroom every 3 hours on the heaviest flow day but I truly don't feel it and half the time forget I have my period! It's important to test around as each woman is shaped differently. My skinny sister needs the large size lady cup or she has trouble with leakage. It all depends on how you are shaped down there and how heavy your flow is. The lack of chemicals means less cramps for a lot of people too! I can also say my gynecologist was very pleased I was using this. Said it's the best! I recommend taking the flushabale toilet paper wipes in the beginning when out. Eventually you get the hang of it and it is not as messy. I wash my hands before always and use the paper towel to open the stall door and close it. I also empty it in the shower every morning in the hot water and find it a nice start. For sterilizing I use a quarter of a milton tab in a mug- that's all you need. One box of milton tabs lasts at least 2 years. So now you all know waayyy too much about me but if I can convince even one person to try out cups I'll consider it a success! I haven't bought anything but a pack of sterilizing tablets for my period in 7 years. Not only are the economical and environmental benefits great- it also is healthier. I never worry about going swimming. I never stress about having enough with me or where to buy pads if I am camping or in Egypt. I never feel it unless it's getting full.. I never run out of stock, I never care if there isn't a trashcan in the toilet I'm using (you're really not supposed to flush tampons)... and don't need one in my toilet at home, and it is not an item in my budget! Have I convinced anyone yet? ^_^

I could have written this myself! I switched to the diva cup a year ago, and have never looked back. One of the best decisions I've ever made in my life...no exaggeration.

Just read this entire thread this week and I will now be trying the BC trick and even talked to my GYN about getting an endometrial ablation. I wish I had read it earlier, I could've gotten it done before my trip. I really hope to not have to deal with my period on vacation. Even with the Diva Cup (which I love), I still have to empty every 4 hours on my heavy days. It would be nice to swim with the kids instead of watching in the hot sun :(.

Yes, you'd just go back to the normal way you take your pills the following month. It's not uncommon to do this regularly. I used to continuous cycle so I'd only take the placebo and have my time every three months. I've switched to non-pill bc now but it worked great.

A couple things to be aware of though. It may take your body time to adjust so even if you skip the placebo week and jump right to your next pack you may still have issues (it's likely you won't just an FYI)

Also, this works if you have monophasic pills (all pills have the same amount of hormones). If you take triphasic pills (each week has different levels) you can't just start the new pack. You can still try to skip but have to take the pills not from the first week (the Internet is your friend if you're on those kinds of pills).

Good luck!

I have tried this many times over the years, and I always end up spotting when my period would normally come. :headache: Now, I can understand that if you have a heavy flow typically, this would be a definite improvement. But since I don't usually, it is really annoying to me to still have to wear a panty liner, and never know when or how much bleeding I might have. I would just as soon suffer through my four days and know when I'll be starting and finishing with no surprises.

I was just browsing through and loving the talk on the Divacup as this sort of product changed my life 7 years ago and I haven't looked back!
I always feel guilty for not talking about it more as it makes such a positive impact on the environment and is so much healthier for women than the chemical laden pads and tampons (which in my, and my friends experience- actually make you bleed more!!).

Definitely try it out before any trip as pp have suggested it has a learning curve. Also look into other brands. If you are at all a smaller person or a virgin or just very sensitive down there- try a softer brand. I always had trouble with tampons, any pads that weren't all natural and organic, etc. as I am generally super sensitive.
I love the ladycup brand cups as they are a bit smaller and softer. This does mean I have to go to the bathroom every 3 hours on the heaviest flow day but I truly don't feel it and half the time forget I have my period! It's important to test around as each woman is shaped differently. My skinny sister needs the large size lady cup or she has trouble with leakage. It all depends on how you are shaped down there and how heavy your flow is.

The lack of chemicals means less cramps for a lot of people too! I can also say my gynecologist was very pleased I was using this. Said it's the best!

I recommend taking the flushabale toilet paper wipes in the beginning when out. Eventually you get the hang of it and it is not as messy. I wash my hands before always and use the paper towel to open the stall door and close it.
I also empty it in the shower every morning in the hot water and find it a nice start. For sterilizing I use a quarter of a milton tab in a mug- that's all you need. One box of milton tabs lasts at least 2 years.

So now you all know waayyy too much about me but if I can convince even one person to try out cups I'll consider it a success! I haven't bought anything but a pack of sterilizing tablets for my period in 7 years. Not only are the economical and environmental benefits great- it also is healthier. I never worry about going swimming. I never stress about having enough with me or where to buy pads if I am camping or in Egypt. I never feel it unless it's getting full.. I never run out of stock, I never care if there isn't a trashcan in the toilet I'm using (you're really not supposed to flush tampons)... and don't need one in my toilet at home, and it is not an item in my budget!

Have I convinced anyone yet? ^_^

You convinced me. Wow! It is awesome! Wish I knew this a decade ago. All set for the next decade! Can take my stock of surplus supplies now (bought in bulk when on sale) and pass out to the poor unfortunate souls not in the know.

thanks for the info.... those cups have gotten a lot of advertising on this thread..... I got a Diva years ago after reading here:thumbsup2 I am going to try out the ladycup brand..looking to see if any differences and ease of use...and I totally agree with all the 'plus' points for using these! travelling is 1000 times easier without worrying about all that other 'stuff' to bring along

Lots of great tips of what to carry' but my question is what type of bag do you carry?

I still haven't found the perfect one! I actually ended up just carrying a backpack last time, because I get tired of having everything crammed into a small bag.

I usually wear Brooks Ravennas, which are my walking shoe of choice. If it is really hot I wear Orthaheels flip flops.

I LOVE Brooks Ravenna and have a pair in my luggage now (we leave Sat!), but I hate the crazy colors. I wish they had plain white as an option. I guess I'm boring! :rotfl2:

I used to always carry my Baggalini bag(wide strap, kind of like a small half backpack) because it's so dang convenient to travel with...just not....pretty.:rotfl2: I even took some advice from here, and dyed it's ug;y khaki green self eggplant purple. (it came out way cool, with the green still visible in places, but lots of purple now too,I call it the 'eggplant bag'):rotfl:
Then I got a VB disney Hipster last week (ebay) and I have to decide which to carry. All I need is my phone,wallet,and room to roll up a jacket for weather fluctuations throughout the day. So we shall see.
On those 'cups'..... I tried a brand on Amazon called "Sckoon"...(?) it is smaller and softer than diva, and for me,less reliable. So I am sticking with that super reliable Diva cup,unless it's a real light day....:thumbsup2

makeup / skincare / tanning?

Being fair skinned and a redhead I can't get away with not wearing sunscreen. Believe me I was stupid enough to try and was walking like Frankenstein for a while. I *used* to pack some aerosol sunscreen but no matter what the packaging said (Will not clog pores, yada yada) it broke me out into red bumps. So this trip (June/July 2015) I'm packing my moisturizer that has, I believe, an SPF of 30. It doesn't leave you all greasy and shiny, or even worse: a white ghost face glow. While that should be good for my face and hair part I have yet to find the perfect body sunscreen. That will be my mission!

How do you choose clothing to wear / shoes?

Many a trip has been slightly ruined by wearing uncomfortable (but cute) shoes. If I'm going to be in the park all day I'll wear sneakers. Sneakers that I've been wearing for a while and are broken in. One trip I wore nothing but my New Balance "minimalist" type of sneaker. Never again! Such painful shin splints I could barely walk. Now I know that cushioning is your friend. If I'm hanging around the resort I'll wear flip flops (sometimes). Don't want to wear sneakers to a fancy restaurant? I bring a big enough bag to squish my sneakers in because guaranteed once dinner is over I'm off to the parks again.

Blisters. I am extremely prone to blisters. No matter what. Bring moleskin but make sure to pre-cut them at home or bring scissors strong enough to cut through them. Last time I had to hobble up to the check-in desk to borrow scissors. I was also considering buying this stuff called RunGoo (I think that's what it's called) it's supposed to basically lubricate your feet so to cut down on friction. You can use it when you wear sneakers, heels, sandals, flip flops, etc. Score! I also considered buying tincture of benzoin to make the moleskin stick better so it's not flopping around in your shoe.

I go for comfort with clothing. I look horrible in shorts. I won't wear them in public where I live but somehow it doesn't matter when I go to WDW. I usually pack tshirts, button down shirts, shorts, capri pants, and MAYBE a skort. I usually go to WDW in the spring or summer but a couple of times I've been there in November and December and it was FREEZING! The first time I went in November I didn't bring any pants or jackets so I had to spring for a $65 Disney sweatshirt jacket. Live and learn!

*Also* I'd stay away from wearing a white shirt unless you have a bathing suit on underneath. Florida rain can be ridiculous. I think you can see where I'm going with this...

Bags

I bring my Travelon brand bag with me. It's slash proof, it has locking zippers and has RFID blockers or whatever they're called. They look small but can fit a lot of stuff in there. It also has an LED light so if you're at the parks at night you're not dumping everything out looking for your camera, wallet, tickets, etc.

Packing my suitcase is a lot easier now since I've started using those vacuum space saving bags. They have ones made especially for suit cases where you don't even need a vacuum. You just "roll" the air out by hand. Very handy if you plan on stopping by Italy and taking advantage of the Bvlgari perfume. I have a serious addiction to Bvlgari perfume. It's sad.

How do you manage your hair? ( that florida humidity and heat is so unforgiving! Speaking of...)

I can't manage my hair in NJ so what the heck makes me think I can manage it in sunny Florida? It has a mind of it's own. So in vain I bring my instyler. Expensive? yes but it cuts down the clutter and hassle of bringing a flat iron and curling iron. Leave in conditioner is a must or else my hair will either turn into hay or look like cotton candy. Not attractive. I have very long hair and since I'm a DVC member I usually only get one bottle of shampoo (which I think is silly but that's neither here nor there) so instead of having to jack a few bottles from the housekeeping cart when no one's looking I just bring a cheapy bottle of shampoo from home and usually just toss it before I leave for home.

I also noticed that out of all the DVC resorts I've stayed at only OKW has hand lotion so I just pack my own. Nothing more irritating (pun intended?) than dry hands. Ick.

What are your tips for dealing with the heat?

I find myself going to the American Adventure in Epcot more and more. Boring? Yes. But that air conditioning is amazing! Either that or I head over to "the Ellen ride" (that's what I call it) and I can get 37 minutes of a/c. Problem is is that I find myself getting sleepy in there so sometimes I have to literally pinch myself to keep from passing out. Terrible. Hehe.

In addition to the rides/attractions I bring a towel (forgot the name of it) that you soak in water and it stays cool for a while. Water spritzer fans are also nice.

DRINK WATER! So you'll have to use the restrooms a lot more but it's better than dry heaving or fainting! I also bring some kind of candy or snacks with me. I'm not diabetic but walking around in the heat all day can certainly reek havoc on one's body.

How do you deal when "that time of the month" suprises you on your vacation!?

Seeing that everything in my life in unpredictable I ALWAYS bring supplies with me. I think Flo knows when I'm on vacation. Better safe than messy! I find myself extremely tired during that time of the month and I also have hypothyroidism which means I can barely move some days. I take Midol with caffeine or just regular caffeine pills (I take half because I'd rather not twitch all day). The waiter at Tusker House practically had to wake me up cuz I was wiped out. While I'm not condoning taking pills to stay awake, they're just caffeine pills. I take them when drinking coffee is not an option.

I buy several cheap pairs of underwear from walmart. I believe they're about 97 cents a pair. I wash the heck out of them and pack those up. If I find my suitcase can't bare anymore space or weight I just toss the underwear. Bring extra bras! If you don't take any other advice just please do this!

Transportation

Transportation to and from the parks can be a nightmare (can we say Pop Century?) If I'm heading to the bus stop and see a crapload of people waiting to board I'll walk slowly just to avoid having to stand on the bus. I don't know about you but after holding onto the poles or rope handles on the bus my arm wouldn't stop shaking for at least an hour.

The monorail can also be a nightmare. I tend to go towards either the back or the front. Usually it contains less people but not always. Standing on the monorail (I think) is a lot easier than standing on a bus.

I try to stay at resorts where I know I can walk to a park. I like staying at either the Boardwalk Villas, Beach Club Villas, or Bay Lake Tower. Having stayed at all the DVC resorts except the Grand Floridian, I've learned which resorts have the best transportation and those three really can't be beat.

Saving for the trip

As much as I want to stay in bed and skip work on some days I get my butt up and out the door. I need to earn my vacation time and unfortunately working is the only way to do it.

I have two bank accounts. I use one for bills, groceries and other essentials and I use the other to save for big things. I'll leave the bank card for the "savings" (it's actually just another checking account at a different bank) at home so I'm not tempted to use it.

Dealing with those around you...

I'm fortunate because I usually visit WDW alone. Which is good because I can stop when I want to, eat when I want to, etc. Does it get lonely? Sure but it doesn't get me down.

My whole mentality changes once I enter WDW. If someone where I live were to hit the back of my heels with an EVC I'd give them a piece of my mind but in Disney I just shrug it off. Don't let the little things ruin your vacation. :cool2::banana:

urgh.Much as I love My disney VB hipster bag, it's just not roomy enough for a full park day.wish I had the $$$ for a Lesportsac disney bag.... I am def. bringing the trusty baggalini-(eggplant) simply b/c it does double duty as a purse,yet has enough room for my rolled up jacket and (now) my food that I must carry with me every day. Oh well, It has held up perfectly for at least 15 years now, and I stuck a couple of cute Disney pins on it to make it cuter...:upsidedow

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter