VA baggage allowance (2) this bloomin' stinks!

We booked tickets in March this year for December trip... really hoping the 2x 23kg baggage is still applicable as I was planning on a lot of Christmas shopping while in WDW!!

You will be OK. I contacted VA as I was concerned about the word 'ticketed' (we booked with VH) although DH thought I was just being paranoid. I have had an email back to say it will be honoured but I am going to print it and take it with me to be on the safe side.

Virgin weighed our hand luggage when we flew last month, i was quite shocked, as they have never done this before. Fortunately it was well under the limit.

There are three of us, we manage with 2 cases, travel very light, as I love doing my washing and ironing over there. I usually do it in the afternoon, whilst sitting around the pool.

When I come home, I just put all the clothes away and only have to wash a few bits.

I can't stand taking loads of clothes and then having to wash it all when you come home.

I can understand those peeps points of view who go for three weeks or more and have a cruise too.

I'm going to repeat my comments on Virgin's new allowance, I do every time if crops up:flower3:

When we travel to Florida, it's not so bad because we only need a few clothes and I'm one of the wash as we go types because I can't bear to have to face piles of it when we get back home:laundy:

However, we also ski in the US and this means because of the size restiction of bags -v- winter clothes, footwear, ski clothing etc. we all need to take 2 x 23kg bags each (plus all our ski equipment). There are normally 8 of us (4 adults, 4 teenagers) so this means 16 cases/large holdalls, let alone hand luggage.

We use two cars when over there for convenience.

Even with a luxury size car, the trunks in the States just aren't big enough for 8 cases plus ski equipment.

It's becoming a nightmare and I can feel the stress levels rising even thinking about our next ski trip:scared1:

We're flying American Airlines in October and they're starting to charge $50 for extra bags over your one alloowance, but wenaren't affected since we booked the seats before the cut-off date so get our 2 bags still. We're also only going for a quicky - 9 nights - down to the gulf coast so won't need that many clothes. However, Xmas shopping was going to be high on the list so will need to pack carefully coming home:)

This new baggage allowance been coming for quite a while, there's nothing much we can do about it. But when you have to travel in the school holidays (I work in a school) there's never ANY hope of getting cheap flights, so now Virgin would have to offer something seriously special for me to consider flying with them again and we've been loyal to Virgin for 10 years, over 36 flights with them:sad2: to different parts of the world.

Hiya

we have 2 holidays booked

one through virgin and one through charter travel with virgin, fr march and october 2010, because they are already booked doe that mean they baggage will be honored even though they are not while next year

I also read about virgin introducing the ability to book extra bagge? is this happening?

thanks in advance to anyone who knows

oh and one more thing

I read that you can only take one car seat or buggy for each adult? we will need to take 2 car seats and a double buggy will we have to pay?

thanks anna

from further down the page:

*Any passenger holding a ticket, booked and ticketed before 25 November 2009, will be entitled to Virgin Atlantic's existing baggage allowance.

Emphasis on "holding a ticket booked and ticketed", not booked and not paid

hiya so if its booked and not ticketed it doesnt count right?

wish I hadnt booked virgin now

Mushumadness,
I would contact Virgin to get confirmation officially, but yes, my interpretation is that if it is not booked and paid off by that date you get the new reduced allowance.

You can book an extra 23Kgs for £32 online or £30 at the airport.
HOWEVER if you go over the 23Kgs they will cahrge you for 24-32kg £30 on top

thanks obi

Im guessing the pushchair car seat thing is going to involve a charge too.

typical, serves me right for booking through virgin holidays!

I manage this. DH takes My laptop, charger and lenses which go in my lowepro bag and the DSLR goes in a camera bag which he take as a 2nd piece of hand luggage (in the hand luggage section it says you can do this.) We have done this on 3 trips now with no problems. Then I have a piece of hand luggage with the books, camera chargers, satnav and charger in and my handbag with the ipods, iphones, sunglasses and passports in. We always manage to stick under the limit (I check the bags before we leave), but having said that we also haven't had our hand luggage weighed the past few trips either.

DanaUK,
You must be talking about Upper Class hand lugagge allowance?

The Virgin pages state:-

"Upper Class

Upper Class passengers may take two pieces of hand baggage onboard. Individual dimensions not to exceed 23 x 36 x 56cm, (approx 9 x 14 x 22 inches) and 16kg (35lbs) in combined weight, with no bag weighing more than 12kg. This can include 1 garment bag, 20cm (8ins) thick when folded, not exceeding 12kg in weight.

Economy and Premium Economy

Economy and Premium Economy passengers may take 1 piece of hand baggage on board. Individual dimensions not to exceed 23 x 36 x 56cm, (approx 9 x 14 x 22 inches) and 13lb/6kg in weight."

It then goes on to say:

"In addition to the cabin baggage allowance, the following personal items may be carried on board:

A handbag, pocketbook or purse i.e. which is appropriate to normal travelling dress and is not being used as a container for the transportation of articles which could otherwise be regarded as baggage.
An overcoat or wrap.
An umbrella (pointed or/and sharp prohibited) or walking stick.
A small camera and/or pair of binoculars.
A reasonable amount of reading matter for the flight.
Infants food for consumption in flight.
A small amount of duty free goods.
Personal headphones may be used as long as they are fitted with the standard 3.5mm jack."

Thats not an DSLR/SLR with all its gubbins. Get a jobsworth on the checkin and you could be in trouble

thanks obi

Im guessing the pushchair car seat thing is going to involve a charge too.

typical, serves me right for booking through virgin holidays!

Not the way I read it:

"Infants are entitled to one piece of hand luggage weighing no more than 6kg. This is over and above the buggy or bassinet or car seat, which are carried free of charge."

they also in the new world get their own baggage allowance of 1 X 23Kgs

hiya

thanks again obi its just I read in the virgin answers

Passengers travelling with children or infants, will be entitled to take one fully collapsible pushchair or a car seat in addition to their free checked baggage allowance.

Infants not entitled to a seat, are now entitled to one piece of checked luggage weighing no more than 23 kilos. They are also entitled to one piece of hand luggage weighing no more than 6 kilos.

it was the or that worried me lol

I would email VH as when I did they emailed me & said that VA confimed I would get the old allowance.

I would email VH as when I did they emailed me & said that VA confimed I would get the old allowance.

Hi - could you let me know the email address as I booked a while ago for next year with VH & would like to confirm if we will still get the 2 bags. If I have a reply then like others I will take it to the airport incase of dispute. Thanks :thumbsup2

Hi - could you let me know the email address as I booked a while ago for next year with VH & would like to confirm if we will still get the 2 bags. If I have a reply then like others I will take it to the airport incase of dispute. Thanks :thumbsup2

Contact Virgin ATLANTIC direct.
the rerason i say this and not Virgin holidays is that Virgin Atlantic is the carrier, not Virgin holidays.
Virgin Holidays could tell you that you can take as many bags as you like for example, however it is the Carriers decision as to what is allowed, not the travel company.
Not much use turning up at the airport with a letter from Virgin holidays if Virgin atlantic then say no, they are wrong.

They are two seperate companies, regardless of have Virgin in the name, the baggage allowance rules are set by Virgin atlantic NOT by VH

US Airways have also introduced restrictions on 2nd bags, effective from 4th November, unless you bought your ticket before 26th August.

Fortunately, we have already booked our flights for next year, but it will obviously have an impact when we decide on carriers for subsequent trips.

Ok, so now what. Virgin are overpriced and unreasonable. It seems to me that everyone else is just unreasonable. I cannot find anything out about flights to Florida with Thompson or First Choice. TCD have told me that we would get the 2 bags at 23kgs each but they don't know if that will change.
I also thought that they did the DTD drop off, but was told that they do not offer this.

I just don't know who to fly with now. Do I fly with Virgin and get ripped off just to get the DTD drop off? Do we fly with First Choice and fly premium but not know how much extra we would pay for an additional case with them?

Right now, I am at the point where I am rethinking the whole thing and not bothering at all.

DanaUK,
You must be talking about Upper Class hand lugagge allowance?

No I was talking about the economy allowance. They have always allowed my DSLR camera to be counted as seperate. It is in the smallest bag possible with no extra lens cases attached and they have always said that was OK. I have travelled this was on 3 trips now (2 in Economy 1 in PE). My extra lenses go in my lowepro bag with my laptop.

I cannot find anything out about flights to Florida with Thompson or First Choice.

Thompson baggage allowance is here.

First Choice is here.

Find an airline that gives you the allowance you want, or find the cheapest. Simples.

Contact Virgin ATLANTIC direct.
the rerason i say this and not Virgin holidays is that Virgin Atlantic is the carrier, not Virgin holidays.
Virgin Holidays could tell you that you can take as many bags as you like for example, however it is the Carriers decision as to what is allowed, not the travel company.
Not much use turning up at the airport with a letter from Virgin holidays if Virgin atlantic then say no, they are wrong.

They are two seperate companies, regardless of have Virgin in the name, the baggage allowance rules are set by Virgin atlantic NOT by VH

good point, VH contacted VA about my question so probably quicker getting a reply from VA too.

I was worried as I booked out of the 11 month booking window which doesnt open till after the new luggage allowance comes in to place.

Hi Zara

We sure do.:eek:

We travel as a family of 6 and usually go for 3 weeks over Christmas.

We have 2 children in our party so have christmas presents and it is also our DD birthday whilst we are there, so we have birthday gifts also as well as bringing presents home for family.

Certainly won't we using VA next year if that is the case.:mad::mad:

Come on Virgin sort yourselves out:mad::mad:
come on guys, no one needs 2 bags each for a two week holiday to Florida.
never heard of washing machines....
I've never ever taken two bags...:confused3...

come on guys, no one needs 2 bags each for a two week holiday to Florida.
never heard of washing machines....
I've never ever taken two bags...:confused3...

It depends what you are doing for those 2 weeks. We are going for 17 nights, including a 4 night DCL cruise for which we need extra clothes and MNSSHP for which we are dressing up.

Add in all the stuff you bring back and it can easily add up to 2 cases per person.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter