V-E-R-Y Disappointed with Wireless Internet

I spent time today thinking of this problem, and came to the conclusion that if Internet is vital to my job, I would get a hot spot, or something like that. I come here to comment, and see that it's been suggested. That would be my solution.

Bobbi:goodvibes

Ill be sure to pack My spare router and plug into the wired connection.

The nature of WIFI is that the more users that are connected the more channels get used the more distribution there is the more bandwidth needs to be allocated. When a router reaches its peak it will drop the weaker connections to keep the stronger ones connected. The more bandwidth needed the more power is needed as well.

If someone is transmitting or Downloading a large amount of Data it is going to use a larger amount of space on tat WIFI router add to that multiple users doing the same thing and you have limited access or very slow access.

Walt Disney World has not allowed EVERYONE to access WIFI for free. The amount of has just increased exponentially.

I always Travel with a Length of CAT5 or Ethernet cable to Plug in if there is an outlet in the room. If the WIFI is bad and there is no outlet available I make my T-Mobile Android Phone a Hotspot and use my 4G data connection with it.

We are pretty busy when we get to Walt Disney World and tend to not use the computer much and wouldn't at all when they charged. Now that it is Free you can bet everyone uses it.

Goofymac

I got a call back from DVC. The wired connection is not an option anymore. That's another company who handled the wired and Disney has stopped that contract. All the internet will now be thru the company handling the wireless. He said using wired will not be possible.

He also said DVC is fully aware of the issue of the WIFI not working properly. My description nailed it exactly. There is not a problem with bandwidth as I had an excellent connection and he confirmed that. DVC had gone into our previous room and ran tests, getting the EXACT SAME RESULTS. He said Disney is aware of the issue and says it is a SERVER issue and they are working towards rectifying the situation. He hoped it would be fixed before the next time we visited but said that our fate lies with Disney as they are the ones with the contract with the third party WIFI.

I have not heard back from my Disney email, just DVC. I also did a survey for my last trip thru Disney and hit Disney hard with the WIFI issue on the survey to try to get their attention to the problem. I hope they FIX IT SOON!

This past Feb we stayed at 3 resorts. VWL had terrible wireless service but AKL and OKW had great service at any time of day.

I got a call back from DVC. The wired connection is not an option anymore. That's another company who handled the wired and Disney has stopped that contract. All the internet will now be thru the company handling the wireless. He said using wired will not be possible.
Well, darn. I s'pose that means I won't be using my points at BWV anymore ... I'll be booking the Dolphin for Lotusphere 2013. (Do Dolphin/Swan still have wired internet? I'm pretty certain they must have something fairly reliable given the number of tech conferences hosted at both/either?)

Just back from OKW in building 25. We had 2 Iphones, an Ipod Touch and Ipad all using the wireless (we don`t use data roaming in the U.S. - too pricey for us) and it worked just fine. We went to Cape May Cafe one evening and reception in the Beach Club Lobby and Cape May Cafe was pretty spotty.

At BWV you can still call down to housekeeping and have them bring up an ethernet cable. It is complimentary as well.

At BWV you can still call down to housekeeping and have them bring up an ethernet cable. It is complimentary as well.

The post above says the wired is shutoff. Can anyone who stayed at BWV recently confirm? I have a trip arriving on 4/28 and planned to pack my router just in case.

I also often have to work on the road. There is NO WAY I would rely on hotel networking infrastructure to get my job done; too often, hotel connectivity, whether wired or wireless, paid or free, is just horrible. Instead, I rely on a cellular hotspot---I recently upgraded to a Verizon 4G LTE hotspot, and have been very satisfied with both speed and coverage. Prior to that, I would swap between a Virgin Mobile 3G card (VM uses the Sprint infrastructure) or tethering through my ATT iPhone.

If you travel even semi-frequently, you really ought to have something like this so that you don't have to rely on hotels to get your work done.

Edited to add: what Dano said.
Im assuming OP isnt away from the office enough normally to justify the added expence of a smart phone. It might be worth looking into a prepaid option for your next trip. Just so you have a back up.

The post above says the wired is shutoff. Can anyone who stayed at BWV recently confirm? I have a trip arriving on 4/28 and planned to pack my router just in case.

The vendor who provided the wired connection lost their contract and they are removing the network at their leisure. Some resorts had the cord removed from the rooms buy Mousekeeping and others didn't.

:earsboy: Bill

I wanted to chime in on this important issue, because I too need reliable internet access while at DVC resorts. On my recent visit to WDW in late Feb 2012, I undertook a first-time experiment to stay at WDW in the depths of Minnesota winter (not much of one this year) to play 1/3 of time and work the other 2/3.

I spent 3 days at BCV with my brother (from San Diego who happened to be attending a conference at WDW - his first visit), followed by 5 days at AKLV by myself (1-bedroom at Kidani-ultimate luxury) expecting to use my "home-away-from-home" office at AKLV. I absolutely love AKL and Kidani Village in particular.

I almost never take any me-time, with two active teens and a busy law practice. This trip was an attempt to slow down, get a good chunk of work done, enjoy the awesome weather, pools, sunshine, and food (Sanaa, Boma), and just do what I wanted to do. In short, expand use of our DVC membership in a different way, by allowing a near 50 year old patent attorney a viable excuse to enjoy the many benefits of DVC while still putting in a decent work week. I've never done this before, BTW.

Here's a summary of my "home office" experience while at Kidani: Access to my office server in MN was dreadfully slow (e.g., 103 seconds to open a folder, 48 seconds to right-click copy a file to release the function, let alone the many minutes to transfer it to my laptop). Remote desktop was not possible. Work Gmail was the only mode of "reliable" internet access to my clients, allowing me plenty of time to watch the zebras grazing between send and receive operations.

I contacted the front desk and was routed to a "tech" rep who said she needed to talk to the higher tech reps. The tech rep got back to me fairly quickly (within the hour) with their explanation for the problem.

It wasn't a connection problem or a server problem per se, it was an intentional bottleneck placed on each wireless router to throttle back bandwidth through the router for files larger than 256K bytes. There seemed to be some logic in this explanation because web surfing on my iPhone via in-room wireless was pretty fast. The tech said the same restrictions were applied to the in-room wired connection as well.

My experience at Kidani was exactly the same as at BCV. I was hoping the newer infrastructure at Kidani would have resulted in much better internet performance, but it was not to be.

I considered an AT&T hot spot or tethering option, but AT&T coverage is so completely unreliable at WDW that this was not a viable solution. Note that I purchased a pre-paid Verizon burner phone ($39) in Orlando that worked fabulously (an excellent inexpensive work-around for phone service since AT&T Iphone cellular service is essentially non-existent). I was able to hold hour+ long telecons with my clients via Verizon - thank you Verizon.

Lastly, my final solution to the DVC Wi-Fi problem was to purchase a new Ipad with 4G Verizon as the carrier (a fun business purchase) which I can use as a hot spot for my laptop (in addition to using many business Ipad apps). I need only activate the Verizon 4G service on a month-to-month basis (via the Ipad) and for an expected volume of data transport needed ($50 for 5 GB). I haven't tried this out yet, but hope to repeat a more productive working vacation in the coming months.

Disney and DVC have been such an important part of our family history, and whether the responsible entity is DVC or Disney Resorts, please remember the first rule in business - "keep your [existing] clients happy" - new ones are much harder to find if you let down your current clients.

It worked pretty well for us at OKW in November, but we always bring our MIFI with us anyway ( the size of a credit card, it is easy enough to bring along) for insurance. And I can also use my iPhone as a hotspot. I just never feel completely sure the resort wifi will be adequate, but so far it has been okay.

Mndisfam,
I used to have an AT&T iPhone and switched to a Verizon iPhone after getting pretty lousy service at WDW and in Door County, WI (we like to vacation there also and could not even get Edge on AT&T). I also got a new Verizon iPad as a backup when WDW wifi is poor.

Another AT&Ter that has terrible experience at WDW. On our trip a couple weeks ago MK was an entire dead spot one day. Couple trips ago I couldn't get a signal in BLT. So much for using Lines or other internet related functions.

We should start a rumor that Disney/Verizon is blocking AT&T because of the Disney/Verizon partnership.

I am a graphic designer and I NEVER had an issue with the WIRED internet service at Disney. I was always able to download/upload/transfer and work with email just as quick as in my home office. Now, with the wireless, it is USELESS for the business person who wants to combine work and pleasure. I have always enjoyed working at Disney because of the evening perks of fireworks and pleasant weather. Now that their wireless is messed up, I'm still trying to figure out what to do. I don't normally travel a lot besides going to Disney so a smart phone is not really necessary as kerriemiller pointed out so I'm still trying to figure out what to do to ensure I can work effectively during my trips. I WANT THE GOOD INTERNET SERVICE I ALWAYS HAD AT DISNEY!!!

When we were there in January the wired connection was still working. Started with the wireless. Switched back to wired because of speed issues and having to login repeatedly.

We had our own router with us and that works fine to set up our own wireless network off of their wired connection.

AT&T connectivity on property has always been sub-par - before and after we got iPhones.

I know Vero has always has had wireless but was there last week and it was horrible. Could never get on line. Switched to AKV Jambo and was much better.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter