Utilizing DME to MCO but staying out of WDW the last night

moreisgood

Falling in love
We will be staying at the Poly, but on our last night, we will be staying with friends outside of WDW. We would still like to use MDE, and check our luggage at the Poly, the day AFTER we check out.

Is that possible?

Let me phrase my question differently, because I am familiar with the published rules...
Has anyone ever been granted the exception of riding MDE with a gap at the end of their stay?

You can call and ask for an exception, but I think you already know the answer you'll get.

Do report back though. Maybe they will tell you something different.

From experience, I had a friend check her luggage, and ride MDE with me, when she had checked out of a Disney resort 4 days before. But, I was just checking out that day. And I've had conflicting answers from the airline people about checking your bags at a Disney resort, even though you hadn't stayed there. So, I get the feeling it's possible, as an exception. I'm just wondering if anyone has actually done it.

Even if it is possible as an exception (which is what it would be) it is not something you can depend on. If they tell you no, what is your plan B?

Let me phrase my question differently, because I am familiar with the published rules...
Has anyone ever been granted the exception of riding MDE with a gap at the end of their stay?
Not that has been indicated publicly in the almost 13 years (anniversary May 5!) Disney's Magical Express has been in existence.

Magical Express and Remote Airline Check-in are benefits offered to WDW onsite resort guests. A guest is a guest until 11:59 PM of the day they check out.

From experience, I had a friend check her luggage, and ride MDE with me, when she had checked out of a Disney resort 4 days before.

Anomaly. Circumventing the rules and requirements. Bucking the system.

If you want to be assured of being able to use RAC on the day you're flying out, you could rearrange your plans to spend the night with friends earlier in your trip.

The exception you're asking for would likely violate the contract between Disney, Mears, and the airport (city of Orlando?). DME is a hotel transfer service. If you aren't transferring from a stay at that hotel on that day, then they can't take you. It's the same reason you can't hop on a DME bus to a different resort, nor can you catch the DME bus to the airport from a different resort.

The "exception" you list about someone who checked out four days prior was likely allowed because they could be added within the occupancy of the person who did have a room reservation.

If I was making odds, I'd give this "exception" less than a 2% chance of working out for you.

From experience, I had a friend check her luggage, and ride MDE with me, when she had checked out of a Disney resort 4 days before. But, I was just checking out that day. And I've had conflicting answers from the airline people about checking your bags at a Disney resort, even though you hadn't stayed there. So, I get the feeling it's possible, as an exception. I'm just wondering if anyone has actually done it.
Well, clearly your friend has done it, by accompanying a guest on the day that guest checked out. But that would apparently be the only incident in the 13 years - and genuinely, it seems to have worked due to misrepresentation.

Curious why you think airline personnel who've likely never utilized RAC would have accurate and aligning responses. Airport management might be most accurately informed and aware of luggage checking policies.

So without knowing where off-site the friends are... you're going to Über to their home or have them pick you up, then Über back (or again, they drive you) back to the Poly enough more than three hours prior to your flight departure with all your luggage on both legs - to save $25?

Even if someone told you yes, the person working RAC or driving the DME bus would likely say no. DME transportation and RAC are both tied to your reservation. You must be on an active reservation in order to use either one. The rules should apply to everyone. Once exceptions start being made, everyone wants to get in on that exception, and then it's chaos!!! We've seen it many, many times with Disney!! A few people get something, then tell others about it. Pretty soon, the system is swamped, and that 'exception' is taken away, and the rules changed..usually in a not so good way.
Either book an on-site room for that night and then do what you want, or take your bags with you, and get them to the airport the next day, via a cab/Uber.

I have a similar but different question. I am arriving 1 day early to my disney reservation. Can I use DME one way just to get to the airport the day we check out?

I have a similar but different question. I am arriving 1 day early to my disney reservation. Can I use DME one way just to get to the airport the day we check out?

Yes you can book DME one way. You can set it up when you arrive to your Disney hotel or call before hand and let them know you only need return service.

Well, clearly your friend has done it, by accompanying a guest on the day that guest checked out.

Bingo!

We are a community here, so it would be great if someone would step up to help out the OP. If the OP posts the date they want to ride the DME, and the resort they want to ride from, then a DISer who recognizes that they can help can contact the OP privately via DM, and make the the appropriate arrangements, similar to what the OP's friend experienced.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter