USPS employee disney discounts?

King Tritan

Mouseketeer
I was wondering if USPS employees got any sort of Disney discounts? I know other branches and services of the govt. does but with our ever popular "private" public service I didnt know if we get any type of discount. I am not able to find anything out.
Thanks

Any discounts you'd get would be through your Human Resources department. The USPS is entirely a private, non-government business.

Yeah I didnt know if anyone knew off hand.
I find it odd that this private business gets govt. tags for vehicels and there are also postal inspectors that will charge you with crimes if you use the usps for something illegal and yet there are no fedex inspectors or ups inspectors or DHL ones.
;)

kaytieeldr said:
Any discounts you'd get would be through your Human Resources department. The USPS is entirely a private, non-government business.

Not sure where you got this info from (maybe you thought the original poster meant the United Parcel Service?), but the United States Postal Service is characterized as semi-private or semi-governmental, most often referred to as a semi-independent government agency. It's partially funded by taxpayers, and pays no taxes on any profits it generates.

To the original poster: I think your best bet would be to check with your union about any discounts they might have for union members.

kayebee said:
It's partially funded by taxpayers.

That is not my understanding. The only money the government gives to the USPS is for the franking privileges of the Senators etc. Other than that, they pay their own way, even though they are constrained by regulations that make it difficult to adjust their pricing.

Sheila

Since personnel issues are handled by OPM (i.e. health insurance, hiring, etc) I would say they are government employees. Disney itself only offers discounts to military and DOD (Shades of Green and thastis DOD run--not really Disney). I've used www.getravelop.com (excess condos for $264 per week); and using the government rate at hotels. Car rentals can be tricker-- some require official orders--others don't. Of course the government contract rate on airline carriers is usually higher than private sector fares--and they do require orders. Also--don't forget the "discounts"/budget savers that everyone can use: www.skyauctions.com and check the resort board for codes.

I just went to the opm website for careers in the Federal Government--USOPS is listed as a potential EMPLOYER--therefore I would say they are Government employees.

not for disney tickets but how about an off site resort?

http://getravelop.com/html/ge_index2.asp

you can get a week at a condo for $264 total

this works like AFVC & skyauction (without an auction)

Welcome to Government Employee Travel Opportunities (G.E.T.O.), a leisure travel benefits program sponsored by Resort Condominiums International (RCI), a leader in vacation rental. G.E.T.O. is a "Space Available" program that offers Federal, State and Local Government employees the opportunity to take affordable condominium vacations at resorts around the world. G.E.T.O. makes this possible by utilizing marketable inventory at condominium timeshare resorts. Marketable inventory consists of condominium units that resort owners do not use, which generally means off-season or short-notice travel. Thank you for your service and we hope you enjoy this tremendous vacation opportunity.

Eligibility

You are eligible to participate in the GETO if you are 21 or older and a:

Current or retired employee of a U.S. or Canadian governmental agency -- Federal, State, County, City, Provincial, Territorial or Municipality

As the wife of a letter carrier I can tell you we were able to use the gov. discount for the Swan and Dolphin. Our health insurance is one used for federal employees. I also checked the postal web site and it says this about the post office, "The United States Postal Service® is an independent establishment of the Executive Branch of the United States Government. It operates in a businesslike way." The post office gets there money from the sale of postage items and gets none from the government. Hope this helps.

When Dh was a letter carrier we got a free membership to the Disney club. That gave us discounts on hotels. Since then, Disney has discontinued the club and as far as I know their are no discounts available to USPS employees. However, I'm glad to hear that the government rate applies for the Swan and Dolphin.

Wow was not really wanting to get into a debate on USPS govt. status that is why i kind of dropped it. but there are a couple of good sites. GETO didnt have avalibility. But I will keep that site in mind.

The USPS has some of the benefits of govt. employees but not all. That is why I asked the question. They are considered as Govt. employees for the most part. (It is a federal offense to hurt or kill them. Not a local (state, county, or city) crime)
The reason the USPS is not fully govt and why I put "private" that way is because someone wants to make money. For year the USPS did not make money and they were talking about making it a full private seperate company or let someone else have it. (Bush may yet do that) And if the USPS makes money then they can pay mgrs. and such a bonus. Yes the USPS gets money from the federal govt. not all there money is from the sale of stamps. They do have shortfalls. And when they have these shortfalls of money the feds step in and give them extra cash. I think last year they lost a few million $$ but still paid enough in bonuses to cover that shortfall but why when the feds will make up the difference.
Sorry for the ramble. Yes we can even get the same health plan as the secret service if we want. (I hear it has a great hearing aid plan :D)
Thanks for the info. checking into the swan now.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts