>> Using Pools at Other Resorts - FAQ and Questions Thread (No Debate) <<

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can someone please tell me which pools are sandy bottom pools like at SAB? We stayed at the YC a few years back and loved the sandy bottom pool. I was just wondering if that is the only one or if other resorts also have the sandy bottom?

TIA

Can someone please tell me which pools are sandy bottom pools like at SAB? We stayed at the YC a few years back and loved the sandy bottom pool. I was just wondering if that is the only one or if other resorts also have the sandy bottom?

TIA

We've stayed at many resorts (they are listed in my signature) and I do not recall any other pools having a sand-bottom like SAB.

We've stayed at many resorts (they are listed in my signature) and I do not recall any other pools having a sand-bottom like SAB.

What about Blizzard Beach or Typhoon Lagoon? Do either of those have a sand bottomed area?

Overly frequent Deluxe Disney resort guest here. I've never truly understood the desire to "pool hop", in terms of traveling from one resort to the other to experience the same body of water wrapped in a different theme.
I CAN understand visiting other resorts, viewing the grounds, the theming... even the pools. I CAN understand taking pictures there or getting ideas on where you might like to stay next time. I just can't fathom why someone would go out of their way to actually swim in a pool that is not their own resort's.
There was only one case, in which I was interested at all in even viewing a different pool area, which was Kidani Village's new water play area. Yet my family (me, wife, 2 kids) were staying at AKL Jambo House, and was offered to go over and check it out from various cast members. Needless to say we never did, nor was it a huge priority to do so. I'm sure the kids would have enjoyed it a great deal, but I can't for the life of me figure out why adults feel the desire to actually romp around property looking for the "cool" pool to wade around in, doing much the same thing (sightseeing) as they would just visiting the resort.

Can someone please explain the interest in this?

Overly frequent Deluxe Disney resort guest here. I've never truly understood the desire to "pool hop", in terms of traveling from one resort to the other to experience the same body of water wrapped in a different theme.
I CAN understand visiting other resorts, viewing the grounds, the theming... even the pools. I CAN understand taking pictures there or getting ideas on where you might like to stay next time. I just can't fathom why someone would go out of their way to actually swim in a pool that is not their own resort's.
There was only one case, in which I was interested at all in even viewing a different pool area, which was Kidani Village's new water play area. Yet my family (me, wife, 2 kids) were staying at AKL Jambo House, and was offered to go over and check it out from various cast members. Needless to say we never did, nor was it a huge priority to do so. I'm sure the kids would have enjoyed it a great deal, but I can't for the life of me figure out why adults feel the desire to actually romp around property looking for the "cool" pool to wade around in, doing much the same thing (sightseeing) as they would just visiting the resort.

Sometimes the themeing of a resort makes a real difference in the atmosphere and mood it puts someone in. Some pools are more relaxing than others. I personally love the quiet pool Grandstand at SSR. Its my favorite. But we'll be staying at the Pop on our next trip, so I'm not sure we'll make it to SSR. It is our HOME Resort though.. and we've stayed there enough that it feels like home! :eek: Some people might like the slides at other pools. For instance, that maniacal clown slide at Boardwalk is appealing to some people. :clown: scares me to bits!!

For me it would be the slides, especially since we're staying at the POP. But with the water park passes, it's not a big loss if we don't get to experience Stormalong Bay. If we were allowed to check out the pool area, we would have done it at least once.

But we're not "overly frequent Disney resort guests" and most likely will never be. Checking out other resorts would be an attempt to experience as much of Disney as possible in a few trips. So we decided to give up staying at a Deluxe since we don't see the value in it. When it comes to what the Disney parks have to offer, pool-hopping is very low on the priority list.

For me it would be the slides, especially since we're staying at the POP. But with the water park passes, it's not a big loss if we don't get to experience Stormalong Bay. If we were allowed to check out the pool area, we would have done it at least once.

But we're not "overly frequent Disney resort guests" and most likely will never be. Checking out other resorts would be an attempt to experience as much of Disney as possible in a few trips. So we decided to give up staying at a Deluxe since we don't see the value in it. When it comes to what the Disney parks have to offer, pool-hopping is very low on the priority list.

Disney resort guests are not allowed to pool hop according to Disney rules. This rule is slightly different for Vacation Club members as we're allowed to Pool Hop to any other Disney resort pool unless:
1. its Stormalong Bay or Uzima Pool or BLT (not allowed)
2. its not a pool hopping black-out period
3. the life guard doesn't make an on-the-spot decision to limit hopping because of crowding
4. The DVC member has to be staying in a DVC resort using their points (not even using cash)

Stormalong Bay NEVER allows pool hopping for anyone even DVC guests. You have to be staying at the Beach Club. They have pool bouncers at the entrances and walkways to the pool area and they look at your resort ID and issue wrist bands! Yes, they're that strict! The only time I was able to walk around and LOOK at that pool area was when I was with my DVC Sales CM. So, whether or not you visit a water park, you will not be able to visit Stormalong Bay since you're staying at Pop. That said, I'm a DVC member and I'm staying at Pop this August. No Stormalong Bay for me either... or any other pool other than the one at the Pop for that matter. :eek:

My daughter (who will be eight) and I are staying at Old Key West Resort Jan 2 through Jan 7. This is our first trip since becoming owners. We have carefully read the pool hopping rules and will avoid resorts we are not allowed to hop over and visit. We will leave any pool that appears to be full. We are staying in our home resort on points. I will have my blue card with me. It is not a blackout date.

My princess is more excited about the visiting the pools than the parks. Now I just need to figure out which pools to plan to visit. I'd like to try a different one each day. I'd really like to hear suggestions about which ones are must visits.

So far it looks like we will plan to visit GF's pool because of a great water slide. Someone else has mentioned POFQ has a dragon water slide.

(If the post seems familiar its because I posted it in a wrong place and it got closed. :confused3 Won't do that again... this week.)

We are changing hotels from BC to Pop the last day of our trip. We're going to let Disney move our luggage over to POP for us and will do on-line check in for Pop ahead of time. I was planning on hanging out at SAB until we see my husband off around 3:30. Do you think we will have a problem using SAB after our checkout at BC and check-in at Pop?

Thanks!

My daughter (who will be eight) and I are staying at Old Key West Resort Jan 2 through Jan 7. This is our first trip since becoming owners. We have carefully read the pool hopping rules and will avoid resorts we are not allowed to hop over and visit. We will leave any pool that appears to be full. We are staying in our home resort on points. I will have my blue card with me. It is not a blackout date.

My princess is more excited about the visiting the pools than the parks. Now I just need to figure out which pools to plan to visit. I'd like to try a different one each day. I'd really like to hear suggestions about which ones are must visits.

So far it looks like we will plan to visit GF's pool because of a great water slide. Someone else has mentioned POFQ has a dragon water slide.

(If the post seems familiar its because I posted it in a wrong place and it got closed. :confused3 Won't do that again... this week.)

Hi, I've been a DVC member since 2007, so I think I can help. Your blue card has no black-out dates because its your membership card. It has nothing to do with the pool. They won't need to look at it. Its your room keycard that matter. The room keycard will stay DVC member on it. It'll show the dates of your stay. The Grand Floridian pool is ok. I wouldn't say its slide is special. The Poly pool looks neat. I am a member at Saratoga Springs. I think our pool slide at our feature pool is nicer than the GF slide. If you're not scared of clowns :clown: the Boardwalk pool has a big slide that looks like an old fashioned roller coaster. You can't use BC's pool. I like OKW's pool, and that's where you'll be staying. There is a pool at Port Orleans that I think has a King Triton on it. I never went to it, but I cruised by it on the river and could see it partially. Wilderness Lodge has a nice pool to try. Saratoga is planning a 2nd feature pool that will be built in the Paddock area, so look for that in the future. Coronado Springs has the pool with the big pyramid. That's a nice theme to try too. I'd skip the contemporary. We can't hop to BLT's pool and the hotel one is boring. Keep in mind it takes time to pool hop because you have to use transportation. The week you're going is likely not to be crowded. The lifeguard will likely only ask for identification if the pool is crowded and you look out of place. Nobody ever asked me for ID at the GF pool and it was spring break and technically a black-out period for pool hopping.

We are changing hotels from BC to Pop the last day of our trip. We're going to let Disney move our luggage over to POP for us and will do on-line check in for Pop ahead of time. I was planning on hanging out at SAB until we see my husband off around 3:30. Do you think we will have a problem using SAB after our checkout at BC and check-in at Pop?

Thanks!

Your room keycard, will list the date of your check-out. It doesn't matter what time you actually leave. As long as it is still that day or earlier, you can hang out there. Lots of people hang out at the resort after check-out time. It doesn't matter where you're going, home or to another resort. You can double check with the desk, but I don't think it'll be an issue.

From the member website:

Pool Hopping Information
Whenever you are staying on your Membership at Bay Lake Tower at Disney's Contemporary Resort, Disney's Animal Kingdom Villas, Disney's Beach Club Villas, Disney's BoardWalk Villas, Disney's Old Key West Resort, Disney's Saratoga Springs Resort & Spa, Disney's Vero Beach Resort, or The Villas at Disney's Wilderness Lodge, you and any Guests staying with you, are permitted to use most of the other Disney Vacation Club and Walt Disney World® Resort hotel pools (in addition to the pool at the resort hotel at which you are staying) if they are not at capacity. If the pool you are visiting reaches capacity, you may be asked to leave in order to accommodate Guests of that resort hotel. Please check with a Host or Hostess at the Front Desk of the resort hotel you wish to visit before you go to find out about pool-access availability. You must present your current "Key to the World" card with your "DVC Member" designation on it to use the other resort hotel pools.

Pool hopping is not available at Bay Cove Pool at Bay Lake Tower at Disney's Contemporary Resort, Uzima Pool and Samawati Springs Pool at Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge, Stormalong Bay at Disney's Yacht & Beach Club Resorts, and the leisure pool at Disney's Beach Club Villas. There are no exceptions to this policy. As a reminder, during times of high occupancy, please be mindful of the limited number of pool chairs available, and refrain from leaving towels or personal items on unoccupied pool chairs.

Resort hotel pools may become unavailable from time to time due to capacity limitations. Due to the high occupancy that is expected, Disney Vacation Club Members and any Guests staying with them may not pool hop during the following dates*:

February 14-20, 2010 (Sun – Sat)
March 27 – April 10, 2010 (Sun – Sat)
May 28 – 31, 2010 (Fri – Mon)
June 27 – July 5 (Sun – Mon)
Sept 3 – 6, 2010 (Fri – Mon)
Nov 22 – 28, 2010 (Mon – Sun)
Dec 12, 2010 – Jan 2, 2011 (Sun – Mon)

*Other restricted dates may be added based on projected pool capacity

Mindy, thank you for the great reviews of some of the pools we should consider. As I said, my DD8 is very excited about the pools. Truth is she'd be happy with spending half of our vacation swimming in different pools. I'm actually looking for a digital camera that can get wet to take some great shots of her at different pools.

Maybe I'll have her write reviews of the pools and her favorite things about each one. We have a vehicle so transportation isn't an issue. I've already programmed every resort address into the GPS system. Each trip we seem to focus on something different. We spent a week on Deluxe Dining Plan and never ate at the same place twice. Trust me that was 18 different restaurants.

Since this is our first trip as owners, I want to enjoy some time not in the parks. We purchased APs for the first time and since we are only six hours away by car we will make several shorter trips during 2010 where we see the parks. This trip is about being able to swim in the middle of the winter in a variety of different pools.

Mindy, thank you for the great reviews of some of the pools we should consider. As I said, my DD8 is very excited about the pools. Truth is she'd be happy with spending half of our vacation swimming in different pools. I'm actually looking for a digital camera that can get wet to take some great shots of her at different pools.

Maybe I'll have her write reviews of the pools and her favorite things about each one. We have a vehicle so transportation isn't an issue. I've already programmed every resort address into the GPS system. Each trip we seem to focus on something different. We spent a week on Deluxe Dining Plan and never ate at the same place twice. Trust me that was 18 different restaurants.

Since this is our first trip as owners, I want to enjoy some time not in the parks. We purchased APs for the first time and since we are only six hours away by car we will make several shorter trips during 2010 where we see the parks. This trip is about being able to swim in the middle of the winter in a variety of different pools.

Keep in mind that this past winter's freaky weather, you needed a layer of whale blubber to swim in the pools!:cold: :rotfl2: Remember that Orlando even got snow flurries!:scared1: Hopefully that won't happen again this January because I really can't handle another winter with my 48" picket fence completely buried in the snow! :eek: That said... when I was a teen in the 70's, I remember laying out in a bikini at Christmas by my grandmother's pool near Ft. Lauderdale. :beach:

We've done a couple trips in the winter where we swam in the pools. My experience was that the pools were well heated but there is that point from when you come out of the nice warm water until you make it to the poolside bathroom to get dressed that is a bit nippy.

Your room keycard, will list the date of your check-out. It doesn't matter what time you actually leave. As long as it is still that day or earlier, you can hang out there. Lots of people hang out at the resort after check-out time. It doesn't matter where you're going, home or to another resort. You can double check with the desk, but I don't think it'll be an issue.

Thanks Mindy, I wasn't sure if they would re-key us when we made the switch. I'll double-check when we get there, but good to know we can plan to hang out--if there's no hurricane! :laughing:

Thanks Mindy, I wasn't sure if they would re-key us when we made the switch. I'll double-check when we get there, but good to know we can plan to hang out--if there's no hurricane! :laughing:

I believe that at some point after check-out, the key you were issued becomes de-activated. but that is for opening the door. The actual date printed on it will still be the current day. The pool "bouncer" will check the date on your key card, he won't know if its active or not. You're allowed to hang out at the resort the day you check-out. Most of the pools have shower facilities, some nicer than others (the GF has hairdryers). Lots of people check out, but then go to the parks, or hang out at the pool for a bit before they hit the road.

If we are staying at BCV, can we use Stormalong Bay at the BC/YC? I fully understand the no pool hopping policy, I just wasn't sure how it applied in this situation.

If we are staying at BCV, can we use Stormalong Bay at the BC/YC? I fully understand the no pool hopping policy, I just wasn't sure how it applied in this situation.

Yes, BCV is part of the BC/YC complex and shares SAB.

Friends of ours will be staying at WL overlapping with our stay at POFQ for a couple of days the end of August. Will Disney permit us to visit them and swim in the WL pool or, alternatively, have them do the same at POFQ?

Also, could we bring our car and park it at the WL or will this be a difficulty as well?

Friends of ours will be staying at WL overlapping with our stay at POFQ for a couple of days the end of August. Will Disney permit us to visit them and swim in the WL pool or, alternatively, have them do the same at POFQ?

Also, could we bring our car and park it at the WL or will this be a difficulty as well?

Yes, that is pool hopping. What is usually suggested is to meet up at a waterpark if you want to be able to swim together. I recommend that as well....both Disney waterparks are great fun!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter