Using DVC Points on DCL ??

repeatcruiser

3x - 1 more booked
Does it make sense? We looked into buying a few years back, and at the time thought the price for DCL was too high (in terms of points needed). I see from other threads that there is an upcoming DVC member cruise, so what do you think?

I think the "exchange rate" is horrible--the cruises are waaaay to many points. Most of the time, for what they want in points, you could rent your points at $10 per point, pay for the cruise, and still pocket a profit!

If you're looking at DVC purely for the cruise benefits, I would think again!

We used our points to book a cruise. It kinda stinks b/c we have to basically use two years worth of points for a seven night cruise for a cat. 10! It's nice to get it, but it's just a lot. I've heard people say they sell their points and just pay cash for the cruise. We might do that next time. :tigger: :mickeyjum

I also agree that if you're buying DVC just for use on DCL, it's not a good deal. We own DVC and love it, but we mainly use it for staying at the WDW DVC resorts. However, we have used it for a few cruises too, including last year's member cruise and I used 1/2 points for this year's member cruise.

We used DVC points for 3 cruises, and they charge alot of points... That was before I found out about the disboards 2 months ago and realized we can rent out our points, then pay cash for a cruise. The other disadvantage about exchanging DVC points for DCL is that by the time we booked at 11 months out, the choice of rooms was not good.

Hey, I'm smarter now. Thanks to all you nice folks here for giving so much helpful tips. :cheer2:

We also rented points to do an Eastern 2 years ago. It would have cost us about 550 points and the cruise cost us $2900. No brainer for us.

Another big thing to consider is that if you have to cancel your cruise at ANY TIME your points go into a holding status and cannot be used at DVC resorts.

That's enough to make me rent my points!

pearlieq said:
I think the "exchange rate" is horrible--the cruises are waaaay to many points. Most of the time, for what they want in points, you could rent your points at $10 per point, pay for the cruise, and still pocket a profit!

If you're looking at DVC purely for the cruise benefits, I would think again!

FYI -at $10/point no one's making a profitnot even breaking even.

However, renting our DVC points have allowed us to cruise including on the PC Repo and will assist in our planned Med Repo cruise
:yay: :yay: :yay:

Okay, it took me a minute to done my flame retardent suit but here goes.....We bought into DVC MAINLY to use the points for cruising. It's so nice to call, pay my $75 and I'm done. I don't want to mess with renting out my points, it's just not something I want to do. We bought enough points that we could easily bank or borrow the few extra points that we may need.

As I said, we like the ease of just calling and booking and we're done. By the way, buying to cruise was my DH's idea.

I recently booked a cruise using points. I will never do it again because DVC messed up my ressie twice! Otherwise, I wouldn't mind using points for cruising as I bought the points for vacations.

bridgemanva said:

I disagree. Take the poster right before you. Her cruise would have cost 550 points. The cash fare was $2900. If she had rented @ $10/pt, she would have pocketed $5,500. After paying the cruise fare, she would still be up $2,600. Even if she backs out maintentance costs of $4/pt, ($2,200) she's still up $400! Looks like a profit to me...

Whatever you feel about renting out points is your business. The simple truth about DVC and DCL is that the cruises are disporportionately expensive when you are paying with points.

If you want easy, book cruise before you get off the ship, get 10% off and $200 in ship credits. I am DVC Member and rent points to pay for cruise. It is a savings that is worth the effort, however; I had the points before I started cruising. Any use of points out of the DVC are reduced value, but if yu have the points you have to do something with them you have so much vacation.

Schiffy

bridgemanva said:

However, renting our DVC points have allowed us to cruise including on the PC Repo and will assist in our planned Med Repo cruise
:yay: :yay: :yay:

:thumbsup2 Hi bridgemanva, :wave:

We want a ride on the ship too. Yup, I have to charge at least $15 a point to pay for the cruise..... :lmao: :lmao:

How many years can you bank points, and what do you mean borrow. Does that mean you can bank points from year to year and then borrow from a different member. My other question is how hard is it to rent out points and why aren't people renting them for more $. $10 doesn't seem like much.

OK, I am also a DVC member and am also donning my flame retardent suit.
1. DVC is great. DIS runs boards on DVC and you can check those out. Trading your points in for cruises is one of many ways you can use them.
2. When you buy in DVC, you purchase a set amount of points which you can use in many different ways during a one year period. You can borrow your points from your next use year and bank your points from one year to the next.
3. Many DVC member buy about 220-250 points. A DCL cruise takes at least 400 points depending on the time of year, accomodations, and number of persons traveling. Therefore, many DVC members need about two years of points to take a cruise.
4. The DIS boards for DVC claim the average price for a point is $10. I have no way of verifying that. Also, renting out your points is not as easy as some people make it sound.
5. I also can only go by my experience as to whether or not it's a good deal. We went on an Eastern 7 Day cruise in Jan 06. Total points for myself, DW, and DD-4 in a Cat 6. Total points were 491. Using the $10 number, that was $4,910. Price on DCL website was $4850. Not a signficant difference, even accounting for the $75 booking fee.

My overall opinion is that DVC is a great deal and being able to take a Disney cruise, even once every two years, is just one of the options that makes it a great deal. But I suggest you visit the DIS boards for the DVC. It's as great a resource as the DCl boards with some really great moderators.

I will now go and put away my flame repellent suit.

On the plus side of using points:
1) Selling your points is a taxable event and does constitute income that you should report. Depending on your tax bracket it could cost you more to sell your points than use them, especially if you're in the 35% tax bracket.
2) If you use points for the cruise there is no sales tax charge that you pay using cash.

On the negative side:
1) If you cancel the cruise you must use your points in the remaining use year window. You should definitely buy insurance.

I have used points once and paid for a dcl cruise 3 times. I would use points again without question.

We used DVC points for two cruises, then realized it we really weren't saving much at all. We sold our DVC timeshare and are paying cash for the cruises now. If you want to go to DW, the DVC accommodations are terrific, but I would not buy DVC to use for the cruises.

Hey WiscBill--no flaming--just a note! I've "loaned my points" to another DVC member, while they're "loaned me the money" to cover the cost of my cruise. It was incredibly easy--I did loan them at $10 per point, which seems to be the going rate, though you can loan them for $11 or $12 per point if you're willing to wait for as long as a week (there's always someone who won't be splitting hairs with you, and is perfectly willing to pay it, since you're taking care of the details). There's a certain amount of trust involved in the transaction, but that can be mitigated with contracts and escrow and split payments, if either party so desires. My transaction was as easy as "check received--what's your account number so I can transfer the points?" That seems to be the going method for almost everyone I've seen make the "loan" on the Rent/Trade board. I highly recommend it, and then you don't have to worry about cancellations putting your points in limbo! Also, I think that nearly-$5000 pricetag must have been for a cruise departing within a closer timeframe than many people book with DCL. Yes, with points, it's the same number of points whether you book 2 years out, or two months out. If you book far enough out, that $5000 cruise was probably closer to $3300, which means you would have put money in your pocket. The 7-night Western I just booked would have cost me 424 points, plus the $75 fee. I booked cash price for $2600. That's a pretty good savings!!! :thumbsup2

BCV2002 said:
We used our points to book a cruise. It kinda stinks b/c we have to basically use two years worth of points for a seven night cruise for a cat. 10! It's nice to get it, but it's just a lot. I've heard people say they sell their points and just pay cash for the cruise. We might do that next time. :tigger: :mickeyjum

Same here - we are using 2 yrs points for this summers 7 night cruise and 7 nights @ SSR.

We only have 150 points and they are worth more to me at WDW. That said we're cruising again next Feb as graduation gift for DS17. I hoped to get him to go for RCCL, but he had such a good time in Feb 2005 he opted for Disney again.

We used 388 points to go on the 7 night Caribbean in a Category 11 in January for 4 people. Since the DVC gave an incentive of 100 Extra 1 time use points, it worked out since we only really used 288 points. It would have cost $3800 to buy the cruise, so the points worked out about the same.

We are paying cash for the DVC member cruise since we are using our points for other trips.

We just booked a 7 night Western Caribbean cruise for 12/15/07 and paid with cash. It was approx $4800 for the 4 of us in a Category 6. I rented 1 years points (320) for $10/pp so got a good portion of the money for the trip with 1 years points. It would have cost over 2 years worth of points to book it via DVC and I would have had to wait until 01/07 to even book.

I have friends who added on 240 points to their 300 just to do cruises. I think it is better to rent points out and pay cash for cruises when the numbers work out that way. It really depends on the time of year you are going, when you are booking, what discounts are available (although it looks like as of April 1st, there will be no real discounts), etc. It isn't as easy as making a phone call to book...but the extra time I take to rent out or transfer my points gives us extra $$ to spend on the cruise.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter