Upgrade to Savannah view? worth it?

We have stayed at ALK many times and always standard. One of our favorite things to do is go down to the lobby early and get coffee and then sit in the rockers outside the lobby and watch the animals be released onto the savanna. Once it was like a stampeed and so awesome to watch!
But you can't do that in your pajamas.

We are AKV owners. We booked Savannah views when our kids were younger (first two trips). On our last AKV trip we booked a standard room and did so again this year.

I personally don't think any of the animals are interesting enough to warrant the added points cost of Savannah view rooms. I'd rather use the points for longer trips. Granted, both times we had Pembe Savannah rooms and there are no giraffes there. But I have been to zoos dozens of times and seen giraffes dozens of times, so I don't think having a sunset savannah view would really be that much more interesting.

For most of our trips (even non WDW), we never spend enough time in a room where I feel paying extra for things like better views is really worth it.

Animal Kingdom is our favorite of all the resorts. And Savannah view makes it extra special. It was Animal Kingdom that convinced me to buy into DVC and now I have 4 DVC memberships, with 2 of them at AKL. I own at Kidani, Jambo, BLT and Poly.

In the first week of February, I am going to be staying with some of my family at Riviera (Preferred View) for a week, and just today may 35 year old daughter said, "Too bad we can't switch over to Animal Kingdom. I'm going to miss it, and Zara [her daughter] won't be able to get her face painted, or do the animal activities." But I reminded her I have a room booked for her, her husband and my 2 grand children at a Kidani Savannah view in the fall. And she confirmed again today that she also is going to buy into DVC this year and guess where?

We always go for Savannah View rooms if available. They don't cost that much more than Standard, and yet to me, that is what Animal Kingdom is all about. (Well, that and African decor and folk art and African/Asian/American fusion food.)

I agree that both buildings are MASSIVE with Kidani being especially LARGE.

If you are in Jambo, ask for Kudu Trail, and the Sunset Savannah side of the building, whether you have Savannah view or Standard.

If you have Standard view at Kidani, you will be able to look out over the streets, or over the pool, unless you request a room far far to the north end (about 1/4 mile walk) near the Pembe Savannah, in which case you MIGHT get a partial Savannah View. But I would never do that. Standard View at Kidani, i would request near the Timon elevator, the Rafiki Elevator (the two elevators nearest the lobby) or a pool view.

Of the 2 buildings, Kidani is our favorite. Kidani has 2 Savannahs - the Sunset Savannah (amazing) and the Pembe Savannah, which I will be very disappointed in if I ever have to stay there. Pembe is the smallest of all the Savannahs, and they don't even let most animals wander around there. Not to mention that it is at the far far far FAR north end of the building. Pembe is NOT worth it, if you ask me.

For Savannah View rooms at Kidani, I would ask for the Sunset Savannah, and to be near the Timon or Rafiki elevators. that will get you closer to the lobby and keep you away from the Pembe Savannah (hopefully). Sunset Savannah is the largest Savannah and it is so incredibly nice to just be able to sit out there on your balcony and watch the animals wandering around.

So, yeah, if you are just looking for a hotel room, and you will be gone all day and you never stop to smell the roses, then DON'T bother with a Savannah room. Better yet, go somewhere else. It's cheaper. But if you want the Animal Kingdom Experience then Savannah room is definitely worth it. That is NOT to say that people can't see animals from the lobby or the viewing areas near the lobby, but it just isn't quite the same, and almost nobody bothers.

Last edited:
We have stayed both Savannah view and standard. I'm sure some would disagree, but after 5 minutes of sitting on the patio watching whatever animal happens to be there at the time, we kind of forgot about being in a Savannah room, and hardly spent any time on the patio. The point/ price difference is significant enough that I'd rather put that money towards a meal at Jiko instead of the Mara.

I am old school and go by the old axiom, a happy wife is a happy life. My wife fell in love with the Savannah views at Animal Kingdom. So much so, I bought a direct contract there when they were offering special discounts during the final close out sales. And yet again my first and only retail contract to make sure we had enough points for extended visits. She loves sitting on the decks and watching the animals, every morning before we head off and every evening before bed time. Her enjoyment is well worth it to me. Plus, my favourite 2 bedroom is Kidani Village with its 3 bathrooms-no one needs to wait in the morning to shower/get ready for a busy day at the parks.

If you are going park Commando, or not spending any time in the room, I would say go cheap.

That being said, any time I have stayed at AKV I have gotten a Savanna view, and probably would not take anything else, unless that was all that was available.

We have done both. Felt the Savannah view is not worth the extra Points. We saw so few animals and after the first day there was little interest to spend any time on the balcony in the heat. Some folks love it but I am not one of them.

In july I am taking my cousins family with us in a 2 bedroom... another family was coming and I had a studio booked for them.. but they are cancelling so I am considering upgrading to Savannah view with points saved for this trip my second time staying at AKV, first time having savannah view.. I wouldn't be questioning it but I am afraid to get the not so great savannah view vs. the one with giraffes etc. We are staying 7 nights. Advice appreciated...
In july I am taking my cousins family with us in a 2 bedroom... another family was coming and I had a studio booked for them.. but they are cancelling so I am considering upgrading to Savannah view with points saved for this trip my second time staying at AKV, first time having savannah view.. I wouldn't be questioning it but I am afraid to get the not so great savannah view vs. the one with giraffes etc. We are staying 7 nights. Advice appreciated...

But you can't do that in your pajamas.
Yes, that’s the rub. Our stay in December was with friends in their 80’s and they had “after noon” tickets. We were able to relax, watch the animals before going out, before getting dressed. We also had excellent night viewing right from our balcony.

So basically if you are staying in Jambo your gonna get either a partial Savannah view or a Pool view with a Standard view studio, right? But that does not hold true if you are staying at Kidani, where you could get a view of the parking lot, right?

So basically if you are staying in Jambo your gonna get either a partial Savannah view or a Pool view with a Standard view studio, right? But that does not hold true if you are staying at Kidani, where you could get a view of the parking lot, right?
There’s a value villa at Jambo that is on the parking lot side.

There’s a value villa at Jambo that is on the parking lot side.
Oh, ok. Wouldn't be looking for one of those, but this post made me realize that the standard view villas at AKL-Jambo are probably not going to have a bad view at all. Surprised I didn't know this already.

If you are willing to roll the dice, there are a number of standard view rooms that have at least partial view of the savannah. We have had good luck getting good views when asking upon check in. Granted we stay in studio so I am unsure about the 2bed inventory. Here was a map I found on another site. I can’t speak to its accuracy but have had success with studio Standard view.

https://easywdwforums.com/threads/room-views-at-animal-kingdom-villas-jambo.35532/

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter