UPDATE: Please read. Please remind me... Animal Kingdom Villas questions

Disney Dreams

Proudly afflicted with TDMA!
Hi Everyone,

It has been two years since we have been to AKV and I can't quite recall where it is we like to stay. I am wanting to put in a room request and cannot find the resource I am looking for here.

Previously, I used an amazing map that another DIS member had posted that shows the Villas, which ones are studio, 1 bdrm, etc... and sit on which savannas. Is anyone aware of the map I am referring to and where I can located it? I thought there was an entire AKV thread. Hmmmm..... A point in the right direction or links would be so appreciated. Thanks!

For what it's worth, we have a savanna view, studio and want to request an area which will increase our odds at seeing giraffes.

Thanks in advance,
Dreams

UPDATE: Based on everyone's input, I called today and asked if I could make a room location request. After being reminded it was simply a request, I told her I would like to request "Near the Community Hall and -- ...." She interrupted and said, "Hmmm, I don't think we have that selection. Let me look...."
Me: Selection?
Her: Yes. We hate various categories with auto-fill options like "near lobby," "high floor" and so forth. I don't think I have a selection for "Near Community Hall."
Me: How about "Sunset Savannah." Can we put that?
Her: I don't have a selection for the savannas, either. I can put notes in the reservation, but those who do room assignments may not see them as it is not in the pre-set preferences that pop up for them.

So we wrote in "Near Comminity Hall, Sunset Savanna, Lower floor," but I fear that I truly have no room location request at all.

I am confused by the conversation I had and the discussion / guidance here. Did I miss something? Did I not specify correctly what I am trying to do? Is she wrong? Did the system change? Does anyone know? (In short... HELP! :) )

Thank You!

Last edited:
If you google touring plans room finder, you can follow the link and go to the AKL/AKV page. On the left side of the page put in type of room, and click submit (might not be the actual word used, but you get the idea). On the right you will see an outline map of the resort. Once you input your data, parts of it will turn red. Click on a wing of the building, and then the individual rooms will show as little rectangles. You can adjust the floor by using the pull down menu above. Click on the rooms to see the view. If they don't have the exact view from the room you choose, they will show you a view from a nearby room. Hope that helps.

Good luck finding what you're looking for and have a great trip!

Thanks, Bill & xlsm! The info I'm looking for was previously on DIS, but I found a helpful map in the google search link you offered, Bill. I appreciate it. xlsm, that's a cool tool! Thanks!

For Bill, xlsm, and anyone else:

So...
For a request with hopes of seeing lots of giraffes at Kidani (ressie is for a studio, savanna view):
Sunset savanna
Near elevator
Lower floor (Should we specify 2nd or 3rd floor instead of "lower"?)
- Our goal here is to NOT have the trees blocking our view.

I'd make it:
Sunset Savannah
Near Lobby (because some of the outer areas have less animal activity I believe.
lower floor

Usually the best you can hope for is your main request is filled and maybe the second. By the time it hits number three they may have moved on to other people's requests.

Great maps, thanks! I'm trying to figure out what to request too. We have 2 little ones, ages 5 and 3, so I'd love to not be toooooo far from the lobby. Any suggestions for us?

Just be aware that there are no guarantees. I was on the Sunset savannah at Kidani all week, and yet, I didn't see any giraffes. However, I was WAY out (7 rooms from the end) even though I'd requested near lobby, and I was on the main floor. By the way, now I can't find where it was that led me to believe you were staying at Kidani. In case I'm wrong, I've seen many giraffes (often several at a time) from the DVC studios at Jambo.

The units near the lobby are mostly H.A. We have been way out on the west/left side in the last block of units and had many giraffes, zebras and those big horned cattle (name ??)

For a request with hopes of seeing lots of giraffes at Kidani (ressie is for a studio, savanna view):
Sunset savanna
Near elevator
Lower floor (Should we specify 2nd or 3rd floor instead of "lower"?)
- Our goal here is to NOT have the trees blocking our view.

Sounds like you are at Kidani not Jambo. They attempt to meet the requests in the order you give them. "Near elevator" without naming the elevator is a pointless request at Kidani because there are three sets of elevators along each of the two wings and a "near elevator" request can be met by putting you anywhere in the building.

Requesting near the lobby is now also one you probably want to avoid. What has happened is that many have now stayed in rooms far from the lobby at Kidani and concluded they never want to do that again (undoubtedly you have walked from the base of World Showcase to Germany; that is about the same distance as walking from the Kidani lobby to the end rooms on its north wing and that walk is down an internal hallway), with the result that near the lobby has become the most common request made by DVC members. Moreover, near the lobby is an allowed request during online check-in and thus those who have reserved for cash from Disney can also make that request. What has happened is that many who now request near the lobby do not get it (see. e.g., Simba's Mom's post above). Moreover, when the resort cannot meet a location request, it does not try to find something close to your request but instead just puts you anywhere in the building that happens to be open, with the result that you can easily end up at the end of the wings (see again Simba's Mom's post above).

You thus might want to try a different request if you have a savanna view studio. One would be "near Community Hall" or instead "near the Timon elevator." Either of those requests would put you on the south wing (the one closest to Jambo), fairly close to the lobby and to the door that leads directly to the bus stop. Granting of either of those request means you would be on the Sunset savanna, so you do not need to make that your lead request or even include it as a request. Although you might want to make Sunset Savanna your second request just in case the near Community Hall or Timon elevator is not met. As to floor, do not request a specific floor but instead just "lower floor" (which is 2 or 3) or "higher floor" (4 or 5); as to which is better, we actually think both are just fine.

Note that if you would rather be on the north wing close to the pool and not far from the lobby, you could request "close to pool" or "close to the Rafiki elevator" (down that elevator to the ground/parking lot floor gives you the shortest possible walk from the building to a gate to the pool). However, if you make that request, you definitely should also request view of the Sunset Savanna because some rooms overlooking the Pembe savanna could also satisfy a near pool or near Rafiki elevator request.

Last edited:
Okay, given everyone's input (thank you very much!), how's this look?

Near Community Hall
Sunset Savanna
Lower Floor

Thanks again,
Dreams

I'd make it:
Sunset Savannah
Near Lobby (because some of the outer areas have less animal activity I believe.
lower floor

Usually the best you can hope for is your main request is filled and maybe the second. By the time it hits number three they may have moved on to other people's requests.
Thanks for your input. It's appreciated.

Just be aware that there are no guarantees. I was on the Sunset savannah at Kidani all week, and yet, I didn't see any giraffes. However, I was WAY out (7 rooms from the end) even though I'd requested near lobby, and I was on the main floor. By the way, now I can't find where it was that led me to believe you were staying at Kidani. In case I'm wrong, I've seen many giraffes (often several at a time) from the DVC studios at Jambo.
Thanks for the caution. We have stayed at Kidani before and know the animals are free-wandering. We just would like to try for an area we liked previously, but could not remember how to best word room requests as it has been two years.

The units near the lobby are mostly H.A. We have been way out on the west/left side in the last block of units and had many giraffes, zebras and those big horned cattle (name ??)
Thanks!

Sounds like you are at Kidani not Jambo. They attempt to meet the requests in the order you give them. "Near elevator" without naming the elevator is a pointless request at Kidani because there are three sets of elevators along each of the two wings and a "near elevator" request can be met by putting you anywhere in the building.

Requesting near the lobby is now also one you probably want to avoid. What has happened is that many have now stayed in rooms far from the lobby at Kidani and concluded they never want to do that again (undoubtedly you have walked from the base of World Showcase to Germany; that is about the same distance as walking from the Kidani lobby to the end rooms on its north wing and that walk is down an internal hallway), with the result that near the lobby has become the most common request made by DVC members. Moreover, near the lobby is an allowed request during online check-in and thus those who have reserved for cash from Disney can also make that request. What has happened is that many who now request near the lobby do not get it (see. e.g., Simba's Mom's post above). Moreover, when the resort cannot meet a location request, it does not try to find something close to your request but instead just puts you anywhere in the building that happens to be open, with the result that you can easily end up at the end of the wings (see again Simba's Mom's post above).

You thus might want to try a different request if you have a savanna view studio. One would be "near Community Hall" or instead "near the Timon elevator." Either of those requests would put you on the south wing (the one closest to Jambo), fairly close to the lobby and to the door that leads directly to the bus stop. Granting of either of those request means you would be on the Sunset savanna, so you do not need to make that your lead request or even include it as a request. Although you might want to make Sunset Savanna your second request just in case the near Community Hall or Timon elevator is not met. As to floor, do not request a specific floor but instead just "lower floor" (which is 2 or 3) or "higher floor" (4 or 5); as to which is better, we actually think both are just fine.

Note that if you would rather be on the north wing close to the pool and not far from the lobby, you could request "close to pool" or "close to the Rafiki elevator" (down that elevator to the ground/parking lot floor gives you the shortest possible walk from the building to a gate to the pool). However, if you make that request, you definitely should also request view of the Sunset Savanna because some rooms overlooking the Pembe savanna could also satisfy a near pool or near Rafiki elevator request.
Yes, Kidani. Thanks for your thoughts. They make a lot of sense.

Update at end of first post. Please read and advise. Thank you all very much! :)

- Dreams

Disney and DVC for reasons that they only know have some strange pre-defined room request selections and they don't care to change them. We can see some of them when checking in online. Online check-in can overwrite MS pre-defined entries. The only way to add free form requests is to have MS add them as a note and as far as I know, room assigners check the reservation notes.

:earsboy: Bill

I have never had a cast member from member services say that. Maybe someone new? I think you still have a good chance to get at least one of the three. I often think the assigner will look at the first item requested and then look to see if that is available and then not look at the other items. So I always list the one that is most important to me first. And if you get near the Community Hall you will be on a low floor hopefully facing sunset savanna.

Good luck!

Update at end of first post. Please read and advise. Thank you all very much! :)

- Dreams

Yes, that is typical. The standard requests in the prepared lists are terribly generic. Most requests I do go in the note field. Usually the room assignor has seen them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter