Update....bad feeling about a new dentist

I am a dental hygienist and I refuse to work in a corporate owned dental office for many of the reasons posted above. For most patients that have insurance, that is an HMO, many of the corporate practices take. I have never worked for a private dentist that is a member of an HMO or PPO. I have had many patients switch back to private practices after visits w/ corporate. It is a little more out of pocket for work, but I believe in the long run it may be cheaper. Less people trying to sell dentistry that is not needed. I know of workers in those practices that make bonus based on production.
I hope this didn't offend anyone just my opinion. Hope that the new dentist works out for you.

I have a dental HMO. 7 out of 9 dentists within 5 miles of my zip code are private dentists NOT corporate practices. I've never gone to a corporate dentist and every dentist I've ever gone to is a member of my HMO or PPO (I switched back to the HMO side of my insurance when I figured out the $$ savings to me on it.)

So...while you didn't offend me in any way, your statement about private dentists not being PPO or HMO members isn't accurate - in my area, at least.

I am in the don't use the HMO dentists group.

I tried one once and when they couldn't figure out WHICH tooth needed the filling that was the FINAL blow.

I pay more for the plan that lets me pick my own dentist and I pay more for the out of pocket, but.... my care truly is MUCH better!

I learned the hard way (there were other issues) that most of the offices that accept these HMO plans have issues! The amount they get paid is just too low.

I am in the don't use the HMO dentists group.

I tried one once and when they couldn't figure out WHICH tooth needed the filling that was the FINAL blow.

I pay more for the plan that lets me pick my own dentist and I pay more for the out of pocket, but.... my care truly is MUCH better!

I learned the hard way (there were other issues) that most of the offices that accept these HMO plans have issues! The amount they get paid is just too low.

Well, in my case, I saw the same dentist the whole time and switched to the HMO side of my plan....my care didn't change w/ this dentist at all.

HMO isn't a dirty word. His reimbursement changed slightly (like $2 on preventative per person and 10% on fillings, etc. but his reimbursement was better on the flouride end and some xrays....it's about even in the long run) HMO dentists agree to a set reimbursement schedule of R&C charges. So to PPO dentists but they can charge some of the overage...my HMO dentist can't. Again....not all dentists in HMOs are out to get you. I've been to 3 with this insurance in 3 different communities. Never been taken. ever.

Now when I visited a private dentist who wasn't in my PPO or HMO- he overcharged me, got me for services I didn't authorize and deliberately did panoramics on 3 people despite me telling him we weren't eligible for them yet (to the tune of $1000 oop....) I'll happily take my dentist who happens to be a member of my HMO.

I have a dental HMO. 7 out of 9 dentists within 5 miles of my zip code are private dentists NOT corporate practices. I've never gone to a corporate dentist and every dentist I've ever gone to is a member of my HMO or PPO (I switched back to the HMO side of my insurance when I figured out the $$ savings to me on it.)

So...while you didn't offend me in any way, your statement about private dentists not being PPO or HMO members isn't accurate - in my area, at least.

We take the HMO insurance in our practice, but they do not pay as well as if you went to their provider. More out of pocket expense to the patient. I have also had this with my medical coverage. I have worked in 4 large cities in 2 states and that seems to be the norm, in those areas. Luckily for you, you have choices. It is often more difficult for small practices to be a member due to the practice writing off any amount over usual and customary.
Thanks for pointing that out- i wasn't very clear on my post.

Finding a dentist is like any other profession- there are ones that are good and bad. My advice is to be proactive, ask questions, know what your insurance covers. Check you EOB when your insurance pays and verify that the insurance was charged for what you had done. If at anytime you feel uncomfortable, find a new practice. Coworkers, family, and friends are the best way to find a good dentist. they will tell you what they really think.

They're being quite generous and giving us 60 days to pay. :rolleyes:

We are in a fortunate position to be able to handle unexpected bills like this, but it ticks me off that they are either so unprofessional or a bit dishonest.

They also charged us a deductible of $50.00 each and it turns out our policy does not have a deductible.

You need to find a new dentist and tell them that the $50 deductible they took from you will go toward the $500 that they charged you in their bait and switch scam.

I would pick up the phone and report this to the HMO, the BBB, and the ADA. Trust me, they knew exactly what it would cost the FIRST day you went. There is no way, no how they didn't know. They have the info right there. The $40 was to get you in.... once they did the work, they tell you it's $500???? Are they crazy????? They're obviously running a scam operation.

I just found out there is a $25.00 fee for canceling an appointment. I wonder if that still applies when the office manager asks you not to come back for questioning her book work? :rotfl2:
It would appear to me that the dental office owes YOU the $25.

Contact your state's department of consumer affairs. If you can't find it, contact the Illinois State Attorney General's office for contact information.

Wow. My dentist put flouride on my kids' teeth, and then later found out our insurance had changed and it wasn't covered. They refused to allow me to pay for it because I wasn't informed that it wasn't covered :goodvibes
He's nearing retirement age now, but the hygienist is almost through dental school and I've heard he'll be taking over the practice.

I'm not a big fan of small towns for many reasons, but in this instance I think it works in our favor.

When we paid our outstanding bill we wrote on the memorandum portion "amount in dispute". We received a notice in the mail today that Bright Now has fired us. We have the option of apologizing in writing and may be reinstated in thirty days...yeah, sure.

Here's my husbands blog of what we've been through.

http://blog.lfsh.com/2009/07/05/to-fight-or-not/

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter