Up!!!

We loved Up....but see if you agree with me here. While Pixar tells a wonderful story and their animation is spectacular, they are missing something that Disney movies have always excelled at, in fact it's something that makes Disney so sentimental, and that is the music and songs. Besides a couple from the Toy Story movies "you got a friend in me" and "When somebody loved me", Pixar lacks in the song Department. Just compare even Bolt to Up, song wise......see what I mean?........popcorn::

The interesting thing is before I read your post Mortimer Mouse I was going to say how "Up" feels so much like a classic Disney film to me. While I see your point about the songs, I think the overall feel of the Pixar films is just like the classics. I think the big thing is they aren't dumbing down their films, I like that the whole family really can watch a pixar film and enjoy the film, unlike some kid's films that parents (and sometimes even kid's) have to slug through, but then I seriously hate stupid humor.

Yes, I think there is more going on in this film then just a silly time, I think its a way to look at our lives see what we are holding on to and to talk to our kid's about the fun parts of the film including talking about friend's. I have to say while I thought it was emotional I actually didn't cry really and that is saying something since I am pregnant, but I did find the film touching and funny!

I love Dug!!!!!!!!!!

My DS14 went with friends and did not like it. They just thought it was too sad. One said yesterday "she's still waiting for the happy feeling". My ds does not get emotional in movies, but said he almost cried twice during this one. He says he'll never watch it again. :confused3

Knowing my son the way I do, I'm so surprised that he got so hung up on the sad parts. I'm afraid to see it now.

I think that's what I was waiting for too - the "happy" moment - it just never came for me - sorry folks:confused3

We saw it today - it had a very slow and sad start, and then the ending was just sort of melancholy. One of those movies I would watch once, and then probably not get excited to see it again.

I agree DianneMcLean, I saw it yesterday and was so hoping that the ending would of been different. I kind of wanted the two old guys to go off together in future adventures :) Loved the dog and Kevin! popcorn::

I loved it! I laughed, I cried, it was great all around. After hearing about adult undertones in the beginning (don't want to post a spoiler!) I was unsure how my youngest would deal but it went right over his head! Which was good. ;)
SPOILER POST!!!!!

Adult undertones? I can't recall any, unless you're referring to Ellie's miscarriage. I can't remember if it was on this board or IMDB, but someone online thought that having Ellie miscarry was too over the edge for a kid's film. I didn't think so though.

The film was great, albeit not perfect. I put it on par with Finding Nemo. Similar plot structure (main character loses wife, ends up on adventure far far from home). My friend mentioned that he thought it was darker than other recent Pixar films, since Charles Muntz actually tried to kill Carl with a sword, and eventually fell to his doom.

OH and I must say this!!

There was one thing that almost ruined the film for me that wasn't even part of the film itself. The previews.

Before my anticipation to see Up!, I had to sit through trailers for yet... another talking animal film... from Disney. I'm disgruntled that WD Pictures has continued to take this path, despite the fact that these films 1) are never box office hits, 2) end up being lackluster and poorly received 3) make Walt roll over in his grave. Between Enchanted, Pixar Animation, and the upcoming new princess film, we've had nothing except films with talking animals and things like Hannah Montana in concert. I am thoroughly disappointed that they've ignored the original classic canon and have chosen to break away in the wrong direction.

Does anyone else feel this way? :confused3

I just came back from watching it right now. AMAZING!!! I even started to tear up a little bit. Any movie that makes a teenage guy cry has to be good.
:sad:

We just got back, and we absolutely loved it! My DD4 laughed at all the jokes and was blissfully unaware of the more emotional stuff, while both boys "got" the sad parts but weren't bogged down by it. Both DH and I cried.... I think it is one of the sweetest and most sentimental AND funniest and most well-told stories I have seen in a long, long time....animated or not!

I should mention that there really is a Fenton's ice cream shop, in Oakland California. It was a place I frequented during my days in the bay area and now understand that the Pixar animators frequent the place themselves. Glad to see it! Be sure to try the Banana Special if you visit! :banana:

I know that I'm biased, but I LOVE the way that Pixar always throws in little Bay Area shout-outs in all of their movies. I grew up very close to Fenton's. Best ice cream ever!

We saw it 2 weekends ago in 3D I just loved it. It was touching and so funny. Wall-E was my favorite and I think this one is tied with it now. :thumbsup2

We loved Up....but see if you agree with me here. While Pixar tells a wonderful story and their animation is spectacular, they are missing something that Disney movies have always excelled at, in fact it's something that makes Disney so sentimental, and that is the music and songs. Besides a couple from the Toy Story movies "you got a friend in me" and "When somebody loved me", Pixar lacks in the song Department. Just compare even Bolt to Up, song wise......see what I mean?........popcorn::

I remember reading an interview with John Lasseter that he didn't want his movies to be "musicals" like most Disney classics were. Maybe that's why?

Squirrel!

Point!!!

:rotfl:

I just came back from watching it right now. AMAZING!!! I even started to tear up a little bit. Any movie that makes a teenage guy cry has to be good.
:sad:

Aww. :hug:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter