Up Where They Walk, Up Where They Run: Going the Distance with Disney & My Dissertation (comments welcome!)

Based on previous data, I've got your 10k around 1:14 under ideal conditions. SS is unlikely to be ideal conditions.
True. I will have CRD earlier corral and a faster friend who has agreed to pace me. But you are thinking of weather?
So if you want to peak at 8 hrs in the MW training plan, then you need to be comfortably doing 4 hrs. So maybe:

-Princess/SS (7 weeks of speed training after Princess)
-RAGBRA
-Base
-MW training
Sounds great!
Yes! I love bringing new people to this.
this was also the perspective of my friends.
I would not recommend planning to haul a trailer. Maybe if she could fit in a basket?
She’s too big. And I agree— but hopefully I can do Ohio to Erie with her (an overnight on it as training). That is mostly flat, at least near my house.
We LITERALLY just kept missing each other on 5k day!
So sad! I wanted to meet you. But prob for the best bc I would have definitely been sick that day before I knew it.

Princess Weekend Training
January 23-January 29

Wow, it was painful to realize it is January 29. Quick training update:

I officially started training for princess post-COVID. @DopeyBadger advised me to lower my run interval time so I have been experimenting with that this week and have found my runs to be even easier. I ran/walked 13 miles this week, all easy. It felt good.

I also started a new strength training program app called Stronger by the Day. It reminds me of the strength program led by a popular person in the runDisney community (who I adore by the way) but I like the app this uses much much better— it’s very easily adaptable. I have only been doing about 2-3 days a week (and sometimes not the full workout) but hope to do 4. And wow I have been sore! A new “cycle” starts this week so I’m interested to see how that goes. I don’t have goals with it— just seeing how it feels to add strength and if it helps.

DH and I are also doing an intermediate Pickleball class on Fridays. It was a tough workout this past week! I am getting better though.

I am also trying to cycle on my Peloton at least once a week through princess until RAGBRAI training officially starts. I did a 30 minute class last week— a little over 5 miles.

This week I have a virtual dissertation writing retreat where I will be writing like 4 hours a day on top of my two jobs and training… pray for me. Then the weekend of the 10th I have an in person writing retreat through my university. It’s going to be a lot of tough work but I am hoping to have a draft of my dissertation (minus the conclusion) done before PW.

But you are thinking of weather?
SIL and I did the SS 10k last year, when it was on April 2. It was 73 degrees, with a 71 dewpoint and 93% humidity at 6am.
The humidity was 97% at 7am.
You couldn't see across the lake in World Showcase because of how hazy/humid it was.
We were almost sweating just standing in the corrals.

WDW Marathon Weekend 2023 Trip Report
Friday, January 6 (10K) + rest of weekend...

Well, I guess it is time to write about the 10K. I present to you, exhibit A:

@The Expert what’s your emotion for today again? bc I can probably relate to it haha I am so tired and have a headache.

Me yesterday: I love 90s music!! I love the vibe. This is so fun!
Me today: my head hurts and “mmbop” is an assault to my soul

PSA: If you find that one day you enjoy Mmbop, and the next listening to it feels like you are being stabbed in the brain, you, friend, might have COVID!

Anyway...

As far as I remember, I slept pretty well. I woke up not feeling great, with a headache and slightly sore throat, but I thought it was because of weather changes and the lack of rest. I got dressed in my favorite costume of the weekend, got on the 3 AM bus again, and hung out near the bathrooms by EPCOT security with my neighbors until I used the bathroom and made my way in. I decided to opt out of the DIS meet up this morning and made my way to the corrals with my friends.

I was pretty obsessed with my 10K costume. The vision was a mash-up between Belle and Cher from Clueless (her iconic yellow suit). I carried a sign that said "Madame Gaston? As if!" After Jack died, I decorated the back of the sign with a tribute to him. He was my very own Beast. My friends were dressed as Cogsworth and Lumiere (and another Belle but I don't have pictures with her). C printed the sign for me but I needed to figure out a stick-- I was able to use the stick from those fans they were giving away at the EXPO, which worked perfect.

Belle books.jpg
(Image description: Me posing in my 10K Belle costume in front of the bookstore in France. I am holding a sign that says "Madame Gaston? As if!")

Jack.jpg
(Image description: The back of my sign with its tribute to my dog Jack juxtaposed against some flowers.)

For the race itself, I ran like I trained with 75:30 intervals. On top of unknowingly having COVID, I had also started my period and was experiencing pretty bad cramps. Basically I was a disaster. But I kept with my intervals. I was proud of myself for being able to do them up the incline too! In past years I had to walk up the inclines. Yay me.

I left my friend while she went to the bathroom and kept running, but she caught up to me later (around the beginning of the Boardwalk). I remember that the band there was playing What's My Age Again? by Blink-182, which I loved. Generally I had a fun time even though I was in various sorts of pain. I met another instagram friend IRL for the first time during the race also which was cool!

Belle SE.jpg
(Image description: One of my favorite Photo Pass photos from the weekend. Me running in front of Spaceship Earth. Since I didn't get a castle shot this year, I'll take this one.)

Overall, the 10K was fun, and I loved the course. I can see why the Disney 10K distance appeals to so many people.

10K finish.jpg
(Image description: My favorite finish line picture to date. Me, C, and C crossing the 10K finish line dressed as Belle, Cogsworth, and Lumiere. We are linking arms.)

As if!.jpg
(Image description: Me posing with my medal, twirling my hair in an attempt to be more Cher-esque.)

After the 10K I made my way back to POFQ. This time there was no wait for the bus. I took a shower and some medicine and a nap, which greatly alleviated my symptoms. With deep regret, I mistakingly thought I was okay and went to DHS for the day because I had a ticket/park reservation. I opted out of the DIS meet up because I was worried about not feeling well but was assuming it was a cold since the symptoms were completely above the chest. So, I'm glad I did that at least.

I don't want to write much about DHS because I regret going but I did get Genie+ and enjoyed my day. I had Fantasmic dining for Mama Melrose's which was DELICIOUS, although they did seat me like 30 minutes past my reservation time. I don't think I needed the Fantasmic dining package-- I could have gotten a seat otherwise. I honestly didn't really enjoy Fantasmic that much because my medicine was wearing off and I sat waiting for it to start for like 2 hours (I had brought my kindle to read during that time) and I was cold. I also was getting a bad feeling about being sick... and worried about completing the marathon if I still didn't feel well by Sunday.

pretzel magi.jpg
(Image description: Selfie of me with a Mickey pretzel. The CM gave me this pretzel for free because she said I looked so cute! Haha.)

reading DHS.jpg
(Image description: Selfie of me reading my kindle at DHS. I did a lot of reading that day. It was nice. I enjoy solo park days.)

When I got back to the room, I had decided I would not cheer for the half marathon the next day which was my original plan. In the morning, I still felt bad and told my friend I was going to just stay in my room all day to rest (I had originally planned to join her for lunch/a pool day at AKL). In the afternoon, I decided to take my COVID test (I carry one in my suitcase for all trips) just in case. I really didn't think it was COVID-- like I said, my symptoms were all above the chest (namely the headache and sore throat), and I had even messaged Billy asking for advice about the marathon thinking I would run the next day even with a cold. The COVID test was just a precaution. But it turned positive basically immediately, and I burst into tears. Somehow I had avoided COVID during the entire pandemic, despite working at a school, until now. I had worked so hard to prepare myself for this marathon after being under-trained and swept last year, and I had been looking forward to it for like a year. It was extremely extremely disappointing. I called my mom, who lives in Tampa and had planned to come the next day to cheer for me. Her and my dad decided to pick me up and take me back to Tampa. Quarantining at Disney is not really easy because of the lack of room service. My mom helped me make returns of the MW merch I had bought that I no longer wanted (... my marathon finisher shirt, sigh), and my travel agent got Disney to refund the next two nights of my room and my park ticket for Monday. My mom and I were supposed to go on the Disney Wish so I could do the Castaway Cay Challenge but obviously that was not happening either, so I called the cruise line and they immediately cancelled and gave me a full refund. I felt really bad that my mom's vacation was ruined-- this was a gift to her, and she works so hard. I'm sure we'll reschedule it, though.

COVID.jpg
(Image description: Me holding my positive COVID test. My shirt has Eeyore and it says I work out. Just kidding, I take naps. At least I still had a sense of humor...)

Overall, I was really grateful to Disney for making cancelling everything and getting refunds so easy. runDisney, however, not so much. I was told that because I had already picked up my bib they could not even do a partial refund for the marathon or CCC... I guess I understand-- we know that when we register-- but it was frustrating. Would they rather I have shown up and infected everyone?? (That was a never a possibility for me-- as soon as I saw that positive test I knew I would not be running.) Since I am doing so many race weekends anyway, Disney would have just gotten their money back but whatever. I will say that my friend J went to the Expo for me on Saturday after I tested positive to try to get my 10K shirt since they had not put it in my bag. She told them my sob story and they gave it to her no problem. Now I cherish that shirt since it was my big race of the weekend (and it is my favorite color, and it was just really kind of her to go get it for me).

I packed and cried and after a few hours, my parents arrived and we headed back to Tampa where I was able to quarantine at their house. The next day I woke up at like 2:45 AM because my body was used to it, and I could not fall back asleep. I basically watched the marathon through social media, also texting my friend through her race (although she really didn't need my support... she rocked the race and felt great the whole time). Eeyore was there, and so was the donkey outside DAK, and, of course, Everest... I had a lot of FOMO and sadness. But for some reason it was not meant to be this year.

Maggie .jpg
(Image description: Me with an Old English Sheepdog on my lap. Her name is Maggie. At least I got much needed dog cuddles.)

So, where do I go from here? I am grateful that I am registered for everything with Princess Weekend and am looking forward to finally running through the castle, universe-willing. A few of you had posted that I should capitalize on my fitness and train for a spring marathon, but I have decided against that-- namely because I need to prioritize graduating and finishing my dissertation. I also just want my first marathon finish line to be at Disney. I don't have much interest doing that distance anywhere else right now. A few days ago, I got a spot in the SS 10K when it opened up, and I am contemplating actually "racing" it, which I have never really done with a race before. I also signed up for RAGBRAI, a bike tour across Iowa, in July. I might do a sprint triathlon this summer just for fun, although I don't really need to train for that if I just want to go out and do it. Otherwise, I'll spend the summer training for RAGBRAI and maintaining a 4-hour per week running base before I start marathon training again in September.

Because, yes, I will be signing up for the marathon again. And this time I will cross that finish line!

bet-bet-on-it.gif

(Image description: Gif from HSM2 of Troy singing Bet On It).

That Belle Cher costume is too cute and clever for words, and you definitely look much happier than it sounds like you felt for the 10K.

That’s a great idea about bringing a kindle for the Fantasmic wait, I have a dining package for Princess week. Also, I love how it looks like your little Mickey is reading along with you 😄

(Image description: Selfie of me with a Mickey pretzel. The CM gave me this pretzel for free because she said I looked so cute! Haha.)
Am I spotting a cute Zip a Dee Tee sweatshirt?

Because, yes, I will be signing up for the marathon again. And this time I will cross that finish line!
This brings me so much joy to read. Your dedication is an inspiration. Yes, you will.

That Belle Cher costume is too cute and clever for words, and you definitely look much happier than it sounds like you felt for the 10K.
I blame the Pixie Dust haha.
That’s a great idea about bringing a kindle for the Fantasmic wait, I have a dining package for Princess week. Also, I love how it looks like your little Mickey is reading along with you
Mickey loves reading :)
Am I spotting a cute Zip a Dee Tee sweatshirt?
Yes! I just ordered the tee version of it because I love the design so much haha.
This brings me so much joy to read. Your dedication is an inspiration. Yes, you will.
<3

I was so heartbroken for you when you posted in the Marathon Weekend 2023 thread that you had tested positive for Covid and couldn't run the marathon. I can't imagine doing all of that training to have such a big race ruined the day before and also a fun trip afterwards. I applaud you for doing the right thing and cancelling the rest of your trips as I know some super selfish people would have run the race and gone on the cruise anyway. You'll cross that finish line next year and it will be even more special!

That Belle/Cher costume is SO cute!! Ditto your zip-a-dee-tee! I have their original version of that crewneck.

I'm so sorry that it turned out this way after you worked so hard. I'm heartbroken for you <3

Your positive attitude and goal setting is so inspiring, though! You're gonna crush your races and dissertation these next few months and I can't wait for you to cross your Disney Marathon finish line!!

I know others have already said it. But I am so sorry you missed the Marathon. And it is so awesome that you made the responsible and kind decision to sacrifice for the health and safety of others!

Next year you are going to kill it!!!

I woke up in the middle of the night & can’t sleep so here’s a quick update.

1. Thank you all so much for your kind words. I think I’m going to print them & put them by my treadmill for inspiration for the next year.
2. The struggle is real right now. I am very stressed & my watch is mad at me. It’s just the season of life I’m in right now I think but I hope it gets better soon because it’s not sustainable.
3. Despite the stress, I’m still doing all my PW training. Just too tired to post about it. My 5.5 miles last weekend went well. Super easy & no nutrition practice problems. Honestly, running is what’s keeping me from falling apart.
4. PW is in two weeks!!!
5. I put the dumb in dumbo and signed up for all of DLR weekend because fomo lol. I need to spend A LOT of time on my feet this year.

E63E6966-180B-4CDA-A8C0-7319A53D2E3A.png
This is what my stress looks like for like the past week. On some days I’m in the yellow even when I’m laying down or even asleep ugh!

770DC3A8-F637-4E10-AD6E-A564E0A7E7C7.jpeg
Terrible pic of me (see: stress) but I rescued an escaped dog during my run yesterday morning and returned it to its mom. This is the 4th dog I have done this for during a run in the last two months. Thinking of starting a series: dogs I’ve rescued while running. Lol.

Just wanted to pop in and add to the words of encouragement. I hope the next few weeks "de-stressify" and you are able to enjoy PW. And thank you from all the dogs....regardless of the (sometimes clueless) owners, the dogs appreciate you keeping them safe. (And that little one is looking at you so adorably!)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter