Up Where They Walk, Up Where They Run: Going the Distance with Disney & My Dissertation (comments welcome!)

MW Training Runs Completed: 18/19 (95%)
52.9 miles (13:14:00)
At first I thought this was your weekly mileage and I felt like a complete slacker 🙃. I do like that you're keeping track of it though.

I was supposed to go 9:24 pace but honestly I have no idea what that feels like and am apparently very bad at pacing myself.
The only way to get better is to practice. I'm also not good at finding paces so every new training plan is a struggle until I figure out what it should feel like.

I hope your pup is doing better!

Last, but not least, don't forget how strong your body is! I do not have a "runner's body" and I've never been completely happy with my physique. I try to just focus on the positives, like how much muscle my legs have 😆

I was supposed to go 9:24 pace but honestly I have no idea what that feels like and am apparently very bad at pacing myself. I went too fast. If anyone has suggestions for this I am happy to have them. I did set my watch to tell me if I went too fast/slow outside of 9:00-9:30 I think but by the time it would alert me the 100m was basically over.

I would ditch the pace range alerts. The pace doesn't have to be super specific and remember that the goal is seconds more than pace here. Because the duration is so short, it makes the pace seem like it varies wildly when it isn't. So the goal 100m split is 35 seconds. But the window is 34.0-35.9 seconds. With that being said, the pace is neurological in basis. You're just trying to maintain a good mind/body connection. So if you go too fast, it's not the end of the world on these. Just be consistent, avoid a fade, and avoid being in a dead sprint. If the form falters on these neurological paces, then the workout is over. There is no toughing it out on these types since running form is the goal. As with all pacing, it'll take a little time to feel out what is right. Especially when you haven't been doing this type of pace work.

and yes, the horse is rea
thank goodness! Haha. It was v weird to see a horse on the trail.
I have the same problem - all I can say is it gets slightly better after you've practiced the pace a few times.
Seems like it is common! The advice @DopeyBadger gave is helpful too.
You're doing great!
Thank you!
At first I thought this was your weekly mileage and I felt like a complete slacker
haha… no. Maybe on a bike :p
Oooooh!! SOMEone got the new jasmine flow tank!! :love:
Yes! I am obsessed with the flow tanks. I now have Sally, Belle, and Jasmine outfits, plus the Merida tank… and a thousand scrunchies. I need to calm down. It’s probably dumb but I do find that dressing up for my runs makes them more enjoyable.

& thanks for all the kind words and comments everyone!

Just did my 2 miles for today. Looking forward to having the day off tomorrow… I am sooo tired. And currently working through a copious amount of laundry.

It’s strange bc I’m tired before/after my runs but feel mostly fine during them.

Week 5 MW Training

MW Training Runs Completed: 22/24 (92%)
65.9 total training miles

September: 41.8 miles (10 h 25 m)
October: 24.1 miles (6 h 6 m)

Monday 10/3
Steps: 8,529
Sleep: 7 h 20 m

Planned: 2 miles easy/LR, 31:50, 75:30 intervals, 15:55 pace
Completed: 2 miles easy, 30:17, 75:45 intervals, 15:08 pace (T+D 99)

Mile 1: 15:07
Mile 2: 15:09

Forgot to switch my intervals back from Sunday’s long run.

Tuesday 10/4
Steps: 3,634
Sleep: 8 h 56 m

Planned rest day.

Wednesday 10/5
Steps: 4,838
Sleep: 9 h 30 m

Planned: 1 mile @ WU, 2x100m @ R (9:24) w/ 2 min RI, 3x200m @ R (9:24) w/ 3 min RI, 2x100m @ R (9:24) w/ 2 min RI, 1 mile @ CD
Completed: Missed :(

Sick. Feverish and exhausted. Felt sad to miss because I think speed workouts are fun.

Thursday 10/6
Steps: 4,279
Sleep: 6 h 8 m

Planned rest day.

Friday 10/7
Steps: 9,158
Sleep: 8 h 59 m

Planned: 3 miles easy/LR, 47:45, 75:30 intervals, 15:55 pace
Completed: 3 miles easy, 46:25, 60:45 intervals, 15:26 pace (T+D 94)

Mile 1: 15:18
Mile 2: 15:19
Mile 3: 15:44

Ran with Rosie. Did shorter run/longer walk intervals because I still felt sick but didn’t want to miss another run. I was sooo tired on the run. Literally yawning during it. I felt like I could just lay down on the sidewalk and fall asleep.

Still felt bad afterward too. Cold and having trouble warming up even after a hot shower.

Saturday 10/8
Steps: 10,724
Sleep: 8 h 50 m

Planned: 4 miles easy/LR, 1:03:40, 75:30 intervals, 15:55 pace
Completed: 4 miles easy, 1:00:20, 75:30 intervals, 15:04 pace

Mile 1: 15:10
Mile 2: 15:13
Mile 3: 15:03
Mile 4: 14:53

Slept so much last night and mostly just lazed about all day watching the Ironman Championships before doing this run. I did go to the running store and return my Topo Phantoms because they didn’t work for me. I exchanged them for Hoka Bondi 8s. I actually have a pair of these shoes, but in mens extra wide. I wore them for the MW half this year and it was the best my feet had ever felt during a race. But I had two really really bad blisters after that took over a month to heal. The shoes were too big, and I haven’t worn them since. But since my feet felt good in them during the race I decided to give the model a try again, this time getting fitted. I ended up with the women’s wide size 9.5. I put a new pair of the Superfeet Run Comfort insoles in them. I wore them on my run today and although they felt heavy, I didn’t get the intense metatarsal pain I usually get around mile 3. Just mild pain on the sole of my foot that I think is typical of breaking in a new shoe.

Sunday 10/9
Steps: 9,534
Sleep: ??? (watch charging)

Completed: 4 miles easy, 1:01:28, 75:30 intervals, 15:22 pace (T+D 94)

Mile 1: 15:30
Mile 2: 14:58
Mile 3: 15:24
Mile 4: 15:36

Ran with Rosie. Wore the new Hokas again. They felt good on the soles of my feet but my legs felt super heavy and they gave me a small blister on the outside of my left toe. I had slathered my feet in Run Goo and was wearing toe socks so I’m not sure what to do about this… the feet woes never end.
I didn’t love this run but I got it done. I almost fell during mile 1 but thankfully caught myself (tripped on something sticking out of the sidewalk). Mentally I was just bored and tired and wanted it to be done. I like Halloween decorations and changing trees.

Total

Run
Planned Mileage: 16.5 miles
Total Mileage: 13 miles
Planned Time: 4:19:34
Total Time: 3:17:00

Other

Nothing again. I need to get my life together.

Overall this week has not been great. I do not feel well— some fairly slight cold symptoms, chills, and most of all, fatigue. I am so tired even though I am getting a lot of sleep at night (although the quality is not great— my dog has had seizures in the middle of the night twice this weekend). This has also been affecting my mental health since fatigue is a dysthymia symptom for me. I have been struggling to get anything done so I am proud that I got 4/5 runs done despite feeling bad. Sadly the runs have not really helped me feel better at all.

My legs also feel pretty heavy but I think it is because of the new Hokas. I need to do some more stretching. Every morning my ankles/Achilles are really tight.

I carried water with me and put the unflavored LMNT in it. Never again. It just tasted like salt water.

Next weekend I was supposed to go to Detroit for the half marathon but decided a few weeks ago that I’m going to skip it. My friend dropped out and it just seemed like too much travel and effort for a race by myself. I am doing a virtual dissertation writing retreat instead. And we adjusted my planned mileage so it’s a little less because the race was going to put me at too big of a jump anyway. I’m a little annoyed about the sunk cost but it’s whatever.

In good news my favorite TV show in the history of all TV shows, The Mole, has been rebooted on Netflix.

24AECD87-9953-4495-AB8D-85D7C2742411.jpeg
(Image description: Purple flag with Mickey and Minnie in mummy costumes that I saw on a run.)

492FB1CF-0700-45BD-B1F5-BAF8A1619230.jpeg
(Image description: Halloween decorations. One sign has the lyrics from Come Little Children in Hocus Pocus and another says Boo to You.)

8D1794C9-1FE9-42A0-AC8B-F8A57EDB9B24.jpeg
(Image description: Me, Jack, and Dozer (dogs).)

Sorry to hear you’re having a rough week. I hope your illness gets better quickly. Not sleeping well makes everything else harder!

Week 6 MW Training

MW Training Runs Completed: 27/29 (93%)
86.1 total training miles

September: 41.8 miles (10 h 25 m)
October: 44.3 miles (11 h 0 m)

Monday 10/10
Steps: 6,806
Sleep: 8 h 41 m

Completed: 1.2 mile hike, 28:59, 24:07 pace, 41 feet elevation (lol)

It was Global Mental Health Day and absolutely beautiful outside— perfect temperature with the trees starting to change colors. I decided I wanted to go on a hike at my favorite local park with my DH and dog (Dozer). Hoped to do 2 miles but it got dark too quickly. I know this went again plan, but I don’t regret it. And I was still moving/being active.

964E6D7F-DD18-45F3-9474-5007A5BC8D16.jpeg
(Image description: Selfie during hike with DH.)

Tuesday 10/11
Steps: 7,789
Sleep: 8 h 4 m (this is wrong— I was awake for much of the night but my watch didn’t register it)

Planned: Rest day.
Completed: 2 miles easy, 29:26, 75:30 intervals, 14:43 pace (T+D 112)

Mile 1: 14:54
Mile 2: 14:30

I also did about 30 minutes of strength:
  • Single leg bridges 3x20 per side
  • Plank 3x1 min
  • Clamshells 3x20 per side
  • Banded deadbugs 2x2 min
I felt bad for missing my 2 miles yesterday and not completing the full distance in the hike so I “made it up” today. If it had been any longer I would have probably just moved on, but this felt good since the mileage was so minimal. I took Rosie on my run. She wants me to tell all of you that she loves marathon training.

I could tell I haven’t done strength in awhile. I think I don’t like strength because with rest breaks it takes forever. If anyone has advice for that I am happy to hear it.

1EF14F07-8F27-451A-AB93-D34CF95A4AD1.jpeg
(Image description: Me and Rosie. I’m wearing my Jasmine outfit and she is licking her nose.)

Wednesday 10/12
Steps: 7,830
Sleep: 7 h 5 m

Planned: 1 mile @ WU, 2x100m @ R (9:24) w/ 2 min RI, 5x200m @ R (9:24) w/ 3 min RI, 2x100m @ R (9:24) w/ 2 min RI, 1 mile @ CD
Completed: Missed.

It was thunderstorming when I got home from work. I knew it was better to do speed workouts outside than on a treadmill so I opted to switch with tomorrow’s rest day. Earlier in the day a student had taken me on a walking tour of campus so I felt like I had at least been active.

Thursday 10/13
Steps: 12,933
Sleep: 8 h 23 m

Planned: Rest day.
Completed: Yesterday’s speed workout (1 mile @ WU, 2x100m @ R (9:24) w/ 2 min RI, 5x200m @ R (9:24) w/ 3 min RI, 2x100m @ R (9:24) w/ 2 min RI, 1 mile @ CD). 4.2 miles, 57:42, 13:41 pace (T+D 94)

This run was hard! Especially the 200m intervals. I was a lot better at pacing this time & closer to my target of 9:24. I was pleasantly surprised with my WU and CD times as well. Overall, a great workout. The best part is that afterward I took myself to go see Hamilton! It was my second time seeing it. Loved it.

39530A90-02CD-4CB9-AA83-EA5AC31A00D3.jpeg
573B7055-C7C0-4397-99DC-ECF0B5225999.jpeg
98AD4B07-EF96-4692-9500-9878F948D634.jpeg
752BE220-CD26-444D-A020-55FBC16E7FD8.jpeg

Friday 10/14
Steps: 9,490
Sleep: 10 h 13 m

Completed: 2 miles easy, 28:25, 75:30 intervals, 14:12 pace (T+D 84)

Mile 1: 14:19
Mile 2: 14:06

Ran with Rosie & DH. Felt good and easy. My DH was panting and I wasn’t which made me feel good lol.

After we went to a fall/Halloween event at the local botanical gardens where we walked about 2 more miles.

Saturday 10/15
Steps: 11,257
Sleep: 7 h 6 m

Completed: 4 miles easy, 58:29, 75:30 intervals, 14:37 pace (T+D 91)

Mile 1: 14:37
Mile 2: 14:18
Mile 3: 14:48
Mile 4: 14:46

The run was fine but my legs feel so heavy. When I walked down my stairs later my knee hurt. It only hurts on stairs.

I am very tired because I did a dissertation retreat all day and then ran.

Ran with Rosie. She is such a good running buddy.

During the run my DH called to say he didn’t want to drive me to my favorite vegan restaurant bc Tennessee was beating Alabama. I cried (I blame my cycle) and he made the (correct haha) decision to still take me to the restaurant. We listened to the game in the car and then watched the end. Go Vols! It’s my father in law’s alma mater. The Memphis game story was not as good and that’s all I’ll say about that.

EC49B5DC-0F42-4131-B275-DB5AE5411076.jpeg
(Image description: Mika and Ruby (neighbors’ dogs) always cheer for me at the end of every run.)

Sunday 10/16
Steps: 17,913+
Sleep: ??? (watch charging)

Planned: 8 miles easy/LR, 2:07:20, 75:30 intervals, 15:55 pace
Completed: 8 miles easy, 1:59:56, 75:30 intervals, 14:59 pace (T+D 107)

Mile 1: 14:27
Mile 2: 14:22
Mile 3: 15:01
Mile 4: 14:45
Mile 5: 15:11
Mile 6: 15:39
Mile 7: 15:23
Mile 8: 15:08

Did this after my virtual dissertation writing retreat today. I had a pretty bad headache after writing but am trying to practice “self integrity” in both training and my dissertation so I didn’t let the headache stop me. I did decide to run around my neighborhood instead of going to the path though because I didn’t feel like getting my vest together and was worried I would run out of water in my handheld (I didn’t). 8 miles around my neighborhood is very boring. It meant running up and down the same short streets multiple times. I wore my Hoka Bondis. My foot pain flared up around mile 6 and was pretty painful, especially when I would go from running to walking. I tried to scrunch my toes together and then stretch them out a few times and that helped the pain become more manageable although it was still there. I was disappointed because I had hope that the Hokas would solve my woes. They also seem to be causing a callous on my left big toe. I am guessing that would be a blister if I didn’t slather my feet in Run Goo before every run.

I practiced nutrition for this. I ate half a banana and 3 honey stinger chews about 15 minutes before the run, then during I ate one chew every mile plus drank 1/8 of 16 oz of water with Precision Hydration (1000 mg sodium). I actually ate 2 chews during the last mile just because I had 2 left. This strategy seemed to work. I hate that honey stinger chews aren’t vegan but they don’t seem to upset my tummy the way gu and clif blocks do. I probably should have had more water on the run. The T+D was in the triple digits again, and the sun was blaring. I definitely had a thin film of salt all over me after the run.

Total

Run
Planned Mileage: 20.2 miles
Total Mileage: 20.2 miles
Planned Time: I don’t want to math & idk bc I didn’t do race.
Total Time: 4 h 53 m

Other
Hike: 1.2 miles
Strength: 30 minutes

I was supposed to do the Detroit 5K and Half Marathon this weekend but decided not to awhile ago since my friend dropped out, and I didn’t want to travel and spend hotel money on my own. I thought I might have some FOMO this weekend, but I really didn’t. And there ended up being a virtual dissertation writing retreat this weekend that was pretty intensive— 9 am to 4 pm yesterday and today— that I found really helpful. I am very very proud of myself for showing up to that retreat for the entire time both days and then doing my runs afterward. I sort of feel like I’m slowly becoming a different person.

On another note, it’s only halfway through the month and I have hit another monthly run mileage total PR!

I have tomorrow and Tuesday off from teaching (fall break), which I am ecstatic about.

9C31792D-FD6C-4F09-867D-1F261DE14067.jpeg
(Image description: Skeleton hands coming out of the ground in front of a gravestone. One is making a thumbs up and one is making a peace sign. Aka a MOOD.)

Attachments

• 2D830643-D4E2-4E8E-A51C-E6A33AFE60D1.jpeg
    2D830643-D4E2-4E8E-A51C-E6A33AFE60D1.jpeg
    19.4 KB · Views: 0
Great job!
I could tell I haven’t done strength in awhile. I think I don’t like strength because with rest breaks it takes forever. If anyone has advice for that I am happy to hear it.
If you do supersets (alternating exercises), you don't need as long of a break, or so I have learned from Fitness Blender.

The best part is that afterward I took myself to go see Hamilton! It was my second time seeing it. Loved it.
So good! I think it's good to see twice because the first time I saw it I cried the whole time 😅 The second time I only cried at reasonable points in the story.

I've been lucky enough to see Hamilton multiple times and I always see something new. It's kind of crazy how much is packed into the show... Or maybe I'm just not very observant.

What kind of people spend money to see a great show and then talk during one of the saddest points (or any point, really)!?
A lot of people. The etiquette overall was pretty bad. Two twenty something dudes got up and left/came back at least four times.

I am very very proud of myself for showing up to that retreat for the entire time both days and then doing my runs afterward. I sort of feel like I’m slowly becoming a different person.

A better version of the beautiful person you are :)

Congrats on both the dissertation and getting your runs in. Hope your foot isn't bothering you too much.

I'm so proud of you!
giphy.gif

I've loved catching up on your training journal! Seems like there is SO much to be proud of on your end. But selfishly... what I'm most interested in discussing is THE MOLE REBOOT! It's sooooooo good.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter