Unplugged Chit Chat Thread

Not sure where to put this, so I figured this "catch all" category would be okay. :) Since we were talking about sour/tangy stuff in another topic, it made me think of something - is tajin the name of the stuff people sprinkle on the Dole Whips in DL? Couldn't find it at my local grocery store, but I ordered a bottle on Amazon. Even if I haven't got any "Dole Whip trips" planned, I'd probably like it on fruits and veggies, and now is the perfect time to try that, seeing as how summer is starting now! :)

Same boat, and it's quite nice. But someday I may be in your neck of the woods, or hopefully you'll be in mine, and we can go together. That would be fun.
From you lips to God's ears, @WebmasterMaryJo ! If either of us happen to be near the other (I would LOOOOOOOVE to be in CA again!!!) - you got a date!! :)

I wish we still had drive-ins. The last time we went was when Jurassic Park came out. My daughter was around 4 at the time and ended up on the floor of the car. Lol There is too much light pollution for one here. I'll probably go see the Incredibles 2. It's a fun flick.

This one is an hour away in Shelby, NC - there is another one about an hour and a half away in Kings Mountain, though we haven't been to the 2nd one.

It's a lot of fun - $12 a carload to get in for two movies and they allow outside food / drinks. They are always doing fun stuff before the movies too. They had a Star Wars costume contest before Solo and since my daughter and I have Star Wars costumes, we dressed up. She was the only kid and we both got prizes.

This weekend they are having a coloring contest for the kids and having clowns make balloon animals for all the kids too! It should be a lot of fun. The drive back in the middle of the night isn't fun but it's not too far. And it's a great summertime activity.

We are kind of boring. Last friday was dh's birthday, but we did not do anything special for it yet. We might do Red Robin since he did not use his birthday freebie yet. We were hoping to do RR and a movie (most likely Solo), but there is a lot of expenses that came up and to come. We are trying to get serious about getting the house up for sale soon. One of our neighbors put up their house recently and got multiple offers fast for looks like the highest listing for our street.

We hope to do a getaway once we sell our house and knock on wood for the other stuff that is needed. We need to aside money for our niece that just graduated from high school and her older brother who finally got his undergrad. The trouble is our family is up and down the East Coast/other locales and it adds up in time and money to see everyone.

This one is an hour away in Shelby, NC - there is another one about an hour and a half away in Kings Mountain, though we haven't been to the 2nd one.

It's a lot of fun - $12 a carload to get in for two movies and they allow outside food / drinks. They are always doing fun stuff before the movies too. They had a Star Wars costume contest before Solo and since my daughter and I have Star Wars costumes, we dressed up. She was the only kid and we both got prizes.

This weekend they are having a coloring contest for the kids and having clowns make balloon animals for all the kids too! It should be a lot of fun. The drive back in the middle of the night isn't fun but it's not too far. And it's a great summertime activity.

Stop making me want a side trip when we finally go to TN to visit some of my family. If we do go to TN, my cousins want to do Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge/Dollywood if we plan just right. I have not decided if our girl would go if do this this summer even though she could stay with my cousins.

From you lips to God's ears, @WebmasterMaryJo ! If either of us happen to be near the other (I would LOOOOOOOVE to be in CA again!!!) - you got a date!! :)

In a previous military-centered life, I visited Southern CA many times (Coronado/S.D.). Ironically, or maybe appropriately, once checked-in to my hotel and armed with a rental car, I drove north to DL for a day's trip before "business". Of all the places I could have visited (i.e. Sunset Cliffs, Point Loma), I chose Disney first.

In a previous military-centered life, I visited Southern CA many times (Coronado/S.D.). Ironically, or maybe appropriately, once checked-in to my hotel and armed with a rental car, I drove north to DL for a day's trip before "business". Of all the places I could have visited (i.e. Sunset Cliffs, Point Loma), I chose Disney first.
One word.

DUH!

;)

My Dad had lot of TTY/travel to the West Coast Navy bases until I was maybe 11ish. I remember getting San Diego t-shirts for a couple of birthdays. My Dad could had taken us on a cruise on a Navy ship (it was for a select DOD workers), but it would interfere with school.

Well, we did not make it to Red Robin and no movies. He studied for his Microsoft certification and took his time in mowing half of the yard (front and one side..still got the back half) because of the heat.

I asked him if I could just pack what I really want to do myself and then go somewhere else while he does the rest with his Mom (she has been asking to help in gardening and sorting...she is enjoying this with her son and his wife that stayed local to her.

Our great nephew (18 months) was trying to chat with dh on the phone. That baby loves the beach with his mom, cousin, and great-grandma (its a tradition during June for them)

OK - So far I've tried the Tajin on cantaloupe and watermelon. Not bad/not fantastic, just kinda "meh" for me personally. Will continue experimenting - I love trying different things, especially from different cultures! I figure it can only broaden my horizons, and there's a whole WORLD out there! :)

Last edited:
Not sure where to put this, so I figured this "catch all" category would be okay. :) Since we were talking about sour/tangy stuff in another topic, it made me think of something - is tajin the name of the stuff people sprinkle on the Dole Whips in DL? Couldn't find it at my local grocery store, but I ordered a bottle on Amazon. Even if I haven't got any "Dole Whip trips" planned, I'd probably like it on fruits and veggies, and now is the perfect time to try that, seeing as how summer is starting now! :)
I was able to buy it at a local Mexican restaurant near me that also has a small area of Mexican grocery items. Really good on corn salad like they have in DCA Cars Land.

Trying Tajin on a mixed salad I made for dinner, with a mayo/ketchup dressing I made. Liking it! :) I think it's nicely paired/cuts the "richness" of the mayo? Maybe it'll turn out I like it better with savory stuff? Love experimenting - especially with food - eating is SUCH a hobby for me! :(

ETA: Just tried it in some plain Greek yogurt - good. Tried it on a Honeycrisp apple - loved! :)

Last edited:
Trying Tajin on a mixed salad I made for dinner, with a mayo/ketchup dressing I made. Liking it! :) I think it's nicely paired/cuts the "richness" of the mayo? Maybe it'll turn out I like it better with savory stuff? Love experimenting - especially with food - eating is SUCH a hobby for me! :(
I mix it (tajin) with mayo & lemon or lime juice and combine with corn for a cold corn salad. Tastes like the corn salad my friend got in DCA.
Tried it on watermelon and didn’t like. Will try on other fruit. Was good on apples.

Just saw The Incredibles 2. My kids only had to break away for 1 bathroom break! :cool1: It was very cute. My boys loved it. My best friend and I are setting up a Mommy/Kid Play Date to see Wreck It Ralph 2. Boys are super excited.

Incredibles 2 was great! I did have to close my eyes for the flashing scenes though. I didn't want to get a migraine :(

It's hot, hot, hot here in WNC - I'm taking my daughter to the community pool once I'm off of work

Another hot day in NC...the dog hated going out and usually she loves to go out a lot (loves looking for critters and stares at various neighboring houses). I think she misses watching neighbor kids going to school. She loves watching people going to work and coming home. We are getting motivated to sell soon and it helps that another house was sold fast (not even listed publicly) and these people moved in at the same time frame as us.

We have until this Saturday coming to cash in dh's birthday Red Robin reward. We were not motivated to drive that far and both of us were having allergy issues. I had not only seasonal, but got bit by fire ants and my ankles were hurting. So, I made us some beef/mushroom tacos tonight for a change...makes me smile even though we did not get guacamole or avocados (produce selection was horrible and no time to go to another store).
I might finally watch Coco this week on Netflix (so far behind in movies).

got bit by fire ants and my ankles were hurting.

Didn't realize they were that far north. These nasty critters are basically in every Florida lawn. It only took one time to get bit by them, before I started to treat my lawn (which helped but didn't get rid of all of them). I thought I read they aren't indigenous to the U.S. and came over via shipping crates; regardless, I think they should all be eradicated.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!