Universal Yesterday...

I was among the last to ride Kong...Was there for its last day...remember them passing out banana's to the crowds out front..Good Times.

The Berlin Wall piece is still around, its now at the back of HRC, the new one at least..We used to see it all the time when taking as my DH called it, "The Super Secret Back Entrance" to the Studios. Of course the gate is still there, and still rarely used:woohoo:

Dh remembers the Psycho house, and the old HRC. He also remembers the time before Citywalk and IOA. I don't. I have only known it with Citywalk, IOA and the Studios. I DO remember though when HRH, and RPH did not exist.

Dh remembers the Psycho house, and the old HRC. He also remembers the time before Citywalk and IOA. I don't. I have only known it with Citywalk, IOA and the Studios. I DO remember though when HRH, and RPH did not exist.
I remember the Psycho house and the days before CityWalk. The last time I went...before I moved here was in 1997. Here's a picture of the old HRC taken from the Curious George area of the Studios. Yup...it's still there:

DSC01675.jpg

I remember the old psycho house, when Monster Cafe was the Commissary, and the old Phamtom of the opera set up inside the Horror make-up show. I remember the trams and back lot tour. I also remember part of "The Wall" and I had my picture taken in front of it with my Pink Floyd shirt on.
here is an old picture with my DD in front of the globe. (the blonde) I believe it was taken a couple of months after the Studios first opened. DD is 27 now. :) we have been going to Universal every year since it first opened. usually, 2 or 3 times a year with our last visit during horror nights 2008.
SundaySeptember172006.jpg

Ohhhh the old Psycho house!!!! I was devastated when we went back and that was gone! :sad1:

I must say, I need to pull out the old pics and show them to my kids. I've been in love with US since my first trip!

Ohhhh the old Psycho house!!!! I was devastated when we went back and that was gone! :sad1:

I must say, I need to pull out the old pics and show them to my kids. I've been in love with US since my first trip!

The Psycho house and the Bates Motel still exist at Universal Studios Hollywood. Norman Bates can often be seen in front of the hotel, loading a body into the trunk of the car parked in the parking lot. Mother watches it all from the upstairs window as he notices your tram and he comes after you...

SanFranciscoJuly08074.jpg

SanFranciscoJuly08075.jpg

SanFranciscoJuly08077.jpg

SanFranciscoJuly08076.jpg

SanFranciscoJuly08078.jpg

I've only been to the Studios when Citywalk and IOA were with it. Was that area just Universal parking lot before they converted it?
Oh yeah, and I remember that the Alfred Hitchcock tribute was an attraction but was the Psycho house anything? That's where Curious George is now, right?

Oh yeah, does anybody remember the days before Men in Black ride? Hard to imagine the park without that ride and its good-looking building!:rotfl:

The last time we were there we were told the old Hard Rock is just used for storage. Are there any plans to do anything with it?:confused3

The last time we were there we were told the old Hard Rock is just used for storage. Are there any plans to do anything with it?:confused3
Not sure...I think it would be a terrific area for HHN...an old building that's no longer used.

Does anybody remember that old place I think they called it "The Boneyard" where they had props like cars from Jurassic Park and neat stuff like that? I guess they had to get rid of that to make room for the new roller coaster? Anyway, neat place:love:

Does anybody remember that old place I think they called it "The Boneyard" where they had props like cars from Jurassic Park and neat stuff like that? I guess they had to get rid of that to make room for the new roller coaster? Anyway, neat place:love:
Yeah...in recent times it was used for the Mardi Gras concerts and as a holding area for HHN Stay & Scream as well as other HHN related areas.

Actually, I remember when the boneyard had all the props, etc. from the Flintstones movie in it. I still have old pictures (not digital) of my kids in Fred's car :thumbsup2 . Someday I have to scan those and post them here.

Actually, I remember when the boneyard had all the props, etc. from the Flintstones movie in it. I still have old pictures (not digital) of my kids in Fred's car :thumbsup2 . Someday I have to scan those and post them here.

I have the same pics.

And speaking of flintstones, I have pictures of the exit area of the Hanna Barbera ride-- instead of Spongebob, you got to get pics with the Flintstones, and could sit in a foot powered car and all that.

I also have pics from USH in 1984.

The Psycho house and the Bates Motel still exist at Universal Studios Hollywood. Norman Bates can often be seen in front of the hotel, loading a body into the trunk of the car parked in the parking lot. Mother watches it all from the upstairs window as he notices your tram and he comes after you...

SanFranciscoJuly08074.jpg

SanFranciscoJuly08075.jpg

SanFranciscoJuly08077.jpg

SanFranciscoJuly08076.jpg

SanFranciscoJuly08078.jpg

:sad1: I miss this!!! I need to show this to Babboo and the kids, they never got to see it. Thanks for posting pics! I don't have any of Norman, just the house.

The ET ride had the two choices, you could sit on the bikes (totally different than they are now) or the space ship. At the end of the ride you also got a free phone call from AT&T to "Call Home"!

You were able to walk from your car to the Studios.. or take the tram. I still have my free second day admission ticket they were giving away when they first opended up because everything wasn't working. If I have the time & I can dig it out, I will try to scan it... not sure if I can dig it out though. It is packed away with my childrens baby things. Yes, it was a souvie that I was keeping from my childrens frist Universal trip.. all they way from NY/CT area.. and now we live 3 hours away....and have for the last 17 years :cool1: We moved down to FL not too long after they opened. I do have to admit, Disney was the reason I really wanted to live here.. ;) and now I now longer even have an AP to Disney, I let that one expire. The kids are older (much), their tastes have changed.. & we like thrill rides.. :thumbsup2

Does anybody know anything about this; when US first planned to put hotels in they wanted there to be five, but after Royal Pacific didn't fill up, they stopped...? Now they've got all that extra land

:sad1: I miss this!!! I need to show this to Babboo and the kids, they never got to see it. Thanks for posting pics! I don't have any of Norman, just the house.

She did and now I'm sad I never got to see this in person. I've been going back between stills from the movie and this set and it's incredible. Man what I have missed . . .

She did and now I'm sad I never got to see this in person. I've been going back between stills from the movie and this set and it's incredible. Man what I have missed . . .

This is the actual set. They have filmed plenty of movies on the backlot.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter