Universal v. Disney, fresh thoughts in my mind

I interpreted your comment as you inferring that Universal also 'cribed' the coasters from WDW (as you referenced numerous other rides):confused3 but just amped up the action. That's why I was puzzled by your statement. Thanks for clarifying.

Can't ask for more theming than that on The Mummy IMO. U's water rides are also heavily themed with impressive drops. Popeye blows the Rapids ride @ AK out of the water...pun intended. Love my bullwinkle but do give nod to song of south theming.

Disney is pervasive in it's extensive theming. We love and and visit as often as possible, usually via a split trip to U. It's almost diabolical how Disney has managed to package everything together to keep guests onsite. Since HP came to town, more are broadening their horizons to experience U & the other parks in the area. File it under, try it, you may like it.:)

btw - Nice to read that somebody enjoys Magical Express. It's been years since I haven't rented a car. Hope we don't get a grand tour again before we are deposited at our resort next month. One of the reasons many select offsite or deluxe properties is that the decor is a bit more subdued. It's nice to have so many choices in Orlando. Many of us enjoy retreating to a relaxing resort that doesn't scream theme park at the end of the day. It helps to decrompress...not that I don't enjoy the over-the-top icons at the Disney values now and again.

Coasters, they take very different approaches. For Universal, it's more the classic amusement park feel -- a ride pushing the boundaries of "thrill." For Disney, it's more about theming and moderate thrills. Some will prefer the former, some will prefer the latter.

It's obviously all subjective.... I couldn't do the Mummy, it overwhelmed my son a bit.
Personally, I wasn't impressed with the theming of the water rides. You think Popeye is far superior to Rapids -- it is definitely wilder and more thrilling. But I greatly prefer the theming of Kali River Rapids, and therefore prefer Kali River Rapids. And personally, I'd take Splash Mountain of Ripsaw. So it really is a matter of personal preference.

And yes, I love Magical Express. Sure, it takes longer than driving yourself. But I love not having to drive on vacation. I love not having to worry about finding my luggage in the baggage claim.

We all have a preference for different rides and entertainment

No right or wrong in that.
You spend your money for what pleases you the most

All a personal choice and no way can anyone say enough to change your mind about it

Something to enjoy in both the darkside and motherland parks

I stay at both resorts on the same trip and able to do everything I love

Dining, rides, shows, entertainment, etc...

Could not imagine being in Orlando and not doing both parks

There are things in both parks I avoid making a comparison to as crowd levels for line waits are so changeable depending on the time I am there.

most of us have experienced a line wait when a ride goes down.
Or when a storm comes in and some outdoor rides shut down..
Never know when that will occur

We all have a preference for different rides and entertainment

No right or wrong in that.
You spend your money for what pleases you the most

All a personal choice and no way can anyone say enough to change your mind about it

Something to enjoy in both the darkside and motherland parks

I stay at both resorts on the same trip and able to do everything I love

Dining, rides, shows, entertainment, etc...

Could not imagine being in Orlando and not doing both parks

There are things in both parks I avoid making a comparison to as crowd levels for line waits are so changeable depending on the time I am there.

most of us have experienced a line wait when a ride goes down.
Or when a storm comes in and some outdoor rides shut down..
Never know when that will occur

Personally, I think I prefer doing different parks on different trips, than trying to combine into the same trip. But I fully get your point.
I'm very glad I experienced Universal and I'll be back.

As to lines, yes they are dependent on many factors. Therefore, comparisons are difficult. Still, they do have different line management systems, so with careful analysis, it's possible to compare the systems.

Maybe some vacationers can do alternate parks on visits, but I can't

Like I posted above, no way could I be in Orlando and choose which theme park to do
So I do a yearly 19 day stay in the fall

Other trips in the year easy to do both parks and stay onsite when I switch during a 9 day stay

Not saying my style is for everyone
But I know what I like and it works for me
Also helps having an AP

Maybe some vacationers can do alternate parks on visits, but I can't

Like I posted above, no way could I be in Orlando and choose which theme park to do
So I do a yearly 19 day stay in the fall

Other trips in the year easy to do both parks and stay onsite when I switch during a 9 day stay

Not saying my style is for everyone
But I know what I like and it works for me
Also helps having an AP

Yikes.... a 19 day stay?? I just don't have the vacation time to do it.

The way both parks structure their pricing, front loading the price of the tickets, plus with my preference to stay onsite, there just isn't a huge advantage to doing both parks on the same trip. The only savings cost is airfare. But then there is the inconvenience of having to change hotels during the trip, the extra planning involved. The split transportation -- DME for only half the trip.
But OTOH, I can understand making it a "theme park" vacation, and not wanting to miss the great stuff in either park. Not wanting to be in Orlando and miss Splash Mountain, or being in Orlando and missing Harry Potter. It's an easy trip for me, Orlando is a 2.5 hour flight, with ticket usually under $300 per person. So Universal is easy to just make a weekend trip. So I don't feel compelled to combine it with Disney. But I understand why you and others would want to combine.

We just got back yesterday from our first Universal trip, and I agree with a lot of your assessments.

One thing that Uni does that I thought was brilliant is posting security checks at the hotel docks and on the paths from the hotel, so when you go through the bag check there are very few people and virtually no wait, then you just walk into the parks once you get off the boat. I'm not sure how they handle day guests, but it was such a great, convenient touch for onsite visitors.

I was also kind of surprised by the low(ish) crowds over the weekend. At one point on Monday, we spent about 20 minutes letting the kids play at the Barney playground and were the only people there until another family came in just as we were leaving. I know Barney is for very small kids and isn't exactly a hot property, but I was shocked that there weren't any other visitors for such a long time. (also, my kids are really too old for Barney, but that may be one of the nicest theme park playgrounds for tiny kids I have ever seen). We definitely were glad we had Express Pass, but the standby lines were nowhere near as bad as I'd have assumed they'd be.

By and large, I wasn't crazy about the rides at Universal, but in fairness, I am not a coaster lover. I also missed Forbidden Journey and Gringotts because they do not accommodate people my size. I liked MIB quite a bit, and thought the Simpsons and Spider Man were fine, if not terribly interesting. DH, who did ride almost everything, thought it started getting repetitive eventually with so many motion simulators. I really enjoyed the Jurrassic Park area, especially the Raptor Encounter, and of course the HP areas are amazing.

I don't think I can fairly or objectively compare the two properties, because I have such strong, viscerally positive memories of WDW. It's where we took our very first family vacations and I don't think anything will ever compare to the memories I have there. But we all had a really nice time at Uni and I can see us going back again in a few years.

Coming from someone that lives a few hours away we prefer to stay onsite and only do Universal. We have done Disney many times but over the years they have not really kept with the times. Yes, Disney has that old memory feel when we were kids, but that's where it stays in our mind. This is why we are human, we all like different things, so be it.

US is hard for those of us that have motion sickness. Lucky for me I can do Gringotts and the Mummy. But Spiderman, Transformer, the minions, men in black, the Simpsons all make me sick. I'm afraid to try Forbidden Journey. I took one look at the rollar coasters and decided to pass on them, not because of fear of motion sickness but because of just old garden variety fear.

Unfortunately Gringotts and the Mummy are two of my favorite rides. I've done single rider on Gingotts 12 times in a row followed by 7 rides on Mummy. But after that there isn't much for me to do at US. I'm hoping I can add Kong to my list, but it relies on a simulated scene so there is potential for motion sickness.

IMHO Disney has nothing to compare to Mummy. But Disney has more to offer to patrons who suffer from motion sickness. I can only go on star tours once, but other than that nothing at Disney makes me sick.

US is hard for those of us that have motion sickness. Lucky for me I can do Gringotts and the Mummy. But Spiderman, Transformer, the minions, men in black, the Simpsons all make me sick. I'm afraid to try Forbidden Journey. I took one look at the rollar coasters and decided to pass on them, not because of fear of motion sickness but because of just old garden variety fear.

Unfortunately Gringotts and the Mummy are two of my favorite rides. I've done single rider on Gingotts 12 times in a row followed by 7 rides on Mummy. But after that there isn't much for me to do at US. I'm hoping I can add Kong to my list, but it relies on a simulated scene so there is potential for motion sickness.

IMHO Disney has nothing to compare to Mummy. But Disney has more to offer to patrons who suffer from motion sickness. I can only go on star tours once, but other than that nothing at Disney makes me sick.

I get motion sickness badly -- got the prescription patch you wear behind your ear and now I can ride anything without problem -- including Forbidden Journey which I almost hurled on with over-the-counter motion sickness meds. Just FYI. I love both parks. My 9-year-old prefers Universal, but still loves some of Disney. But, if he had to choose one over the other, it'd be Universal hands-down.

@angryduck71, thanks. I tried that patch once on a cruise. I was green all week. I wasn't sure if it was the cruise or the patch. LOL. I may try it again when I go to US.

Last time I loaded up on Dramamine, wore see bands, and I felt pretty good. I even considered trying Forbidden Journey. Of course I was drooling and semi comatose any time I had to stand on line. By late afternoon I just wanted to take a nap. Maybe the patch would be better.

Thanks for the review. I am a universal newbie. Aug 2017 will be our first experience with US/IOA. DS14 cannot wait to ride all the thrill rides. Me...not so much. But since he has a 4.0 GPA, why not?

Yikes.... a 19 day stay?? I just don't have the vacation time to do it.

The way both parks structure their pricing, front loading the price of the tickets, plus with my preference to stay onsite, there just isn't a huge advantage to doing both parks on the same trip. The only savings cost is airfare. But then there is the inconvenience of having to change hotels during the trip, the extra planning involved. The split transportation -- DME for only half the trip.
But OTOH, I can understand making it a "theme park" vacation, and not wanting to miss the great stuff in either park. Not wanting to be in Orlando and miss Splash Mountain, or being in Orlando and missing Harry Potter. It's an easy trip for me, Orlando is a 2.5 hour flight, with ticket usually under $300 per person. So Universal is easy to just make a weekend trip. So I don't feel compelled to combine it with Disney. But I understand why you and others would want to combine.

Ouch $300 pp RT! I'd be visiting a lot less if that was the norm for our area.:crazy2:

DH has lots of vacation time:banana:, combined w/lot cost air fare, I have been consistently able to book RT flights/baggage for 2 PP well under $200 RT from PIT - approx a 2.5 hr flight. Hard to resist sneaking down for last minute trips when I find a great deal.

It's a bit of a hit to to keep APs running at both parks. WDW we tend to let ours go dormant in the summer and get a new one for October trip. U we keep current due to the lower price point. Averaged over multiple trips, APs are a bargain when you consider the benefits each provides as to discounts.

It's easy peasy to do a split trip of 5 or 6 nights @ WDW & 2 or 3 @ U, once you get one under your belt. It all depends on your personal preference. I know people who take days off during their trips and don't visit any parks.

As mac said - some prefer a longer trip, others multiples, some would just as soon stay home as attempt a split trip. Most here would agree they :love:visiting the area & are rather obsessed with getting their theme park fix.:thumbsup2

First, let me say that I absolutely love both Disney and Universal.
My first trip to UO was last August and my family loved it so much that we will be going on our THIRD trip this August.
We're big HP fans and the design and theming of both HP areas (plus the train) are just out of this world.
One thing that really stood out to me about Universal is the incredible ride technology. I don't see these rides as "just another simulator." I think their tech and engineering are top notch and lead to an immersion that just isn't paralleled at Disney.

My kids are all teenagers now and I'd say Disney is/was a better experience for all of us when they were younger. Disney does do better on the broad range themes, somehow - hard to put it in to words. As an example, the music at Disney ties things together in a way that I have not yet experienced at Universal.....We often sit down to diner at home with Epcot Innoventions music playing, but I don't see something like that happening with Universal music.

As a final thought, I have to say I feel that the momentum is very much on Universal's side at the moment. Their recent additions and the next few (including a 3rd major gate) coupled with their seemingly endless ability to crank out new attractions at a reasonable rate puts them in the lead.
Looking forward to Disney's response with Star Wars - and to a MUCH lesser degree, Avatar.
Honestly, in a competition like this, WE are the ones that are guaranteed to win.

This is an interesting thread. I read on a couple of other message boards that WDW attendance is down a whopping 30% this spring/summer. Universal is down 2%.

This is an interesting thread. I read on a couple of other message boards that WDW attendance is down a whopping 30% this spring/summer. Universal is down 2%.

Interesting, we've been there twice this spring, can't say I noticed a dip in the crowds.

I do think people tend to avoid whatever park is under major construction (other than MK) but had assumed they would skip AK, possibly MGM and double dip on MK. Wouldn't be surprised if people are buying shorter length of stay MYW tix and heading up to U for a day or two, along with SW/A.

Do know many casual visitors have told me they specifically were waiting for Epcot's Frozen & Soarin to be completed before they booked a return trip. Many reports here of cancelled Spring SWW (StarWarsWeekend) trips outright this year with no rescheduling. Others pushed spring trips back to fall for the AK RoL.

Believe same thing @ U, many waiting for Kong/Hulk to be done before they return. Regardless, I expect this Fall is going to have many new visitors this year in Orlando who have delayed their trips.

Last edited:
I am another grandma who loves crazy rides. In fact I just got back from doing the highest, fastest and longest zip-line in North America. (Granted I am only 50)

I love Universal and I personally do not think the simulators are at all repetitive. I love being so immersed in the rides and being the cars actually move through the scenes makes a huge difference then just sitting in a room with moving seats.

I do love Disney too but I don't think we will be back until our grand-kids are old enough for a visit. I would not miss that experience for the world. In the meantime I will be at Universal.

Coasters, they take very different approaches. For Universal, it's more the classic amusement park feel -- a ride pushing the boundaries of "thrill." For Disney, it's more about theming and moderate thrills. Some will prefer the former, some will prefer the latter.

It's obviously all subjective.... I couldn't do the Mummy, it overwhelmed my son a bit.
Personally, I wasn't impressed with the theming of the water rides. You think Popeye is far superior to Rapids -- it is definitely wilder and more thrilling. But I greatly prefer the theming of Kali River Rapids, and therefore prefer Kali River Rapids. And personally, I'd take Splash Mountain of Ripsaw. So it really is a matter of personal preference.

And yes, I love Magical Express. Sure, it takes longer than driving yourself. But I love not having to drive on vacation. I love not having to worry about finding my luggage in the baggage claim.

It's definitely all subjective. As someone who likes Disney, Universal, and amusement parks like Cedar Point, I have a slightly different view of things.

In general, Universal's "big" coasters Hulk and Dragon Challenge are solid big roller coasters but not what I would call boundary pushing. Bush Gardens opened Montu 3 years before Dueling Dragon (Dragon Challenge). Montu is is the same style of coaster from the same manufacture but is taller has more inversions and in generally more intense. Likewise, Bush Gardens opened Kumba 7 years before IOA. One again the same style of coaster (without the launch) from the same manufacturer with the same number of inversions. IOA big addition was the launch. To me, what IOA did was take a main stream big amusement park style coaster and pair it with a queue that blew 90%+ of what Disney (and Universal) was doing at the time out of the water. The original queue for Dueling Dragons was easily one of the best (and also one of the longest) queues in Orlando when it opened. I would easily put it head to head with the likes of Pirates, Space Mountain, Splash Mountain and Star Tours.

On the water rides, it's no comparison Popeye blows Kali out of the water. Grizzly River Rapids at DCA gives Popeye a run for it's money. In the Flume category, Splash Mountain takes the overall prize but Dudley, especially before they reprofiled it, had the better drop at the end.

Very much looking forward to enjoying both parks shortly. I have to admit we really enjoyed Popeye and I find it a little unbelievable that much more praise isn't heaped on the incredible job Universal has done on the HP theme. The immersive experience of Diagon Alley is truly spectacular.

That being said, I love the thrill rides, but again grow a little tired of the simulation stuff - I too find many of the tricks repetitive.

Disney is Disney - size, overall immersiveness, history and theme are hard to beat ... but with the FP+ system, even someone like me - who enjoys planning - finds it to be a little overwhelming ... planning that perfect vacation has become a lot of work.

Anyway, thanks to the OP for sharing their perspective - our family, like more and more, are choosing to enjoy and appreciate both worlds, especially as children grow older .... but again the Dr. Sues area we found to be pretty awesome! (and we are a little older :crazy:)

After doing a split stay (3 days at Disney, 2 at US) my hubby, my DD10 and myself all had a better time at US. For us, it is about relaxation. At US, I did not have to worry about FP times or ADRs. We could go through the parks at our own pace without worrying about getting everything in we wanted to. We could decide that day where we wanted to eat. This made our time so much more pleasant and relaxed. I think the theming is great in US- the super hero area is totally underrated. I left US feeling like I did so much. I never feel that way when I leave Disney; I always leave there feeling like there was so much I missed. Part of the problem is our florida vacations are very short (5 days or less) so US is better suited for us.

But I do realize, that everyone has different vacation styles. Our lives are already busy, busy, busy and heavily scheduled. I don't like my vacation to be like that too.

My goal is to do a US-only trip after VB opens.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter