Universal Tickets Question

have2getaway

DIS Veteran
We are going in mid-January. I am seeing deals on tickets and the AP seems very low. Is it better to buy tickets now or when we arrive at Universal? Also, are we sent an actual ticket that we will need to pack and bring with us? If we lose it, do they accept an electronic copy? I certainly don’t expect to lose it, but figured it was a question worth asking.

I always buy from a reputable discounter, like Undercover Tourist. Then we upgrade the ticket to an AP at the park. You can choose electronic or actual ticket when you purchase from them. If you buy from Universal online, you still get a discount vs buying at the gate.

I was just going to ask a ticket question also. We are going in mid-October and see that the current discount expiring on 9/18. We are only interested in going for a 1-2 day ticket. We went a couple of years ago at the same time and remember a buy one day get another day free ticket. Does anybody think this will happen again? I just have a hard time spending almost $200 per person for a one day ticket.

I was just going to ask a ticket question also. We are going in mid-October and see that the current discount expiring on 9/18. We are only interested in going for a 1-2 day ticket. We went a couple of years ago at the same time and remember a buy one day get another day free ticket. Does anybody think this will happen again? I just have a hard time spending almost $200 per person for a one day ticket.

Usually the promotions are for a buy 2 get something free and since the current one is just ending and HHN is just around the corner, I'd be surprised to see any new promotions for a bit.

I always buy from a reputable discounter, like Undercover Tourist. Then we upgrade the ticket to an AP at the park. You can choose electronic or actual ticket when you purchase from them. If you buy from Universal online, you still get a discount vs buying at the gate.

I've been looking at the offer from Undercover Tourist - buy two get 1 free ($270). Thinking of getting this and upgrading to the season pass. Do you know how they apply the credit from the UT ticket towards the AP?

Pardon my naivety on an AP...So my question is what is the advantage of buying the tickets first through Undercover Tourist? Lets say for example a 2 day 2 park to park with 1 extra day free is $270.95 through UT. What is the advantage to purchasing the UT ticket first rather than just buying the AP ticket in the beginning of your first time entering? IF for example you are interested in the Preferred Pass which comes with more benefits and perks, wouldn't you want to have the benefits of the Preferred Pass right away, like free parking(other than the first use) and 10% off dining at Citiwalk and perhaps some merchandise discounts and EP after 4PM for a Preferred Pass AND early park admission? Isn't the "upgrade" fee the difference between the price that you paid at UT in this case $270.95 and the after tax amount for a 2 park Preferred AP of $410.02? I am not understanding the need to purchase the tickets first through UT, then upgrade? Is it because some visitors may decide that they are not interested in the AP after visiting the parks? I was told by a customer service Universal, that IF you decide to purchase the AP you must do so before you leave the parks on the last day of your visit(which makes total sense). Just trying to understand :scratchinthe logic behind "upgrading" versus getting the AP before you enter for the first time. THANKS!:thumbsup2

I've been looking at the offer from Undercover Tourist - buy two get 1 free ($270). Thinking of getting this and upgrading to the season pass. Do you know how they apply the credit from the UT ticket towards the AP?

In the past they have applied the gate price for the ticket (and for 3 days). Go inside to guest relations to upgrade. A two park 3 day pass is 303 online- that is with tax. A seasonal pass (two park) is 303. So you SHOULD be able to upgrade at no cost (and at about a 30 dollar savings to you.) Your mileage may vary, and it has been 3 years since i did a pass upgrade.

You save a couple of dollars. It is worth it to some esp if they are buying a lot of tickets, not so much for others.

In the past they have applied the gate price for the ticket (and for 3 days). Go inside to guest relations to upgrade. A two park 3 day pass is 303 online- that is with tax. A seasonal pass (two park) is 303. So you SHOULD be able to upgrade at no cost (and at about a 30 dollar savings to you.) Your mileage may vary, and it has been 3 years since i did a pass upgrade.
Now I understand why people buy the ticket FIRST on UT, because when you upgrade at the gate, you are given a credit for the online price through Univeral, not a credit for the price you pay through UT. So, it is a built in savings per ticket. Very interesting.:scratchin

Thanks everyone!!! It's been SEVERAL years since we did an upgrade - was just wondering if it worked the same as in the past. There are five of us so every little bit helps!!

Pardon my naivety on an AP...So my question is what is the advantage of buying the tickets first through Undercover Tourist? Lets say for example a 2 day 2 park to park with 1 extra day free is $270.95 through UT. What is the advantage to purchasing the UT ticket first rather than just buying the AP ticket in the beginning of your first time entering? IF for example you are interested in the Preferred Pass which comes with more benefits and perks, wouldn't you want to have the benefits of the Preferred Pass right away, like free parking(other than the first use) and 10% off dining at Citiwalk and perhaps some merchandise discounts and EP after 4PM for a Preferred Pass AND early park admission? Isn't the "upgrade" fee the difference between the price that you paid at UT in this case $270.95 and the after tax amount for a 2 park Preferred AP of $410.02? I am not understanding the need to purchase the tickets first through UT, then upgrade? Is it because some visitors may decide that they are not interested in the AP after visiting the parks? I was told by a customer service Universal, that IF you decide to purchase the AP you must do so before you leave the parks on the last day of your visit(which makes total sense). Just trying to understand :scratchinthe logic behind "upgrading" versus getting the AP before you enter for the first time. THANKS!:thumbsup2

Good question. The Undercover tourist price of 270 is with tax. That ticket gets you 3 days of park time. If you bought a three day ticket at the park it would be about 323. So that is a savings right off the bat. Universal does not know what you paid for your ticket from Undercover Tourist. So when you go in to upgrade, they will credit you with the full 3 day ticket amount.

On my next stay at Thanksgiving, I will be upgrading one pass to a preferred as soon as we get there to take advantage of the 10% discounts. We are staying onsite, so early admission and parking are not an issue for us.

And it has been 3 years since I last did this, so maybe someone could chime in and tell me if it still works this way.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter