Universal Package cancellation?

wendyt_ca

DIS Veteran
We are going to Florida in October and doing 2 nights at Universal. I am considering just booking a package as we probably want to do the new Aventura hotel. The package is only asking for a $100 deposit. I am trying to get an understanding of the cancellation policy as I have only stayed at a Universal resort once before (we always stay at Disney). If I book the package with hotel and tickets and decide later I need to cancel or change the room or tickets outside of the 46 day window will I be able to do so and get a full refund?

I know this is the case with Disney and it seems that way with Universal but then I see something about a Revision fee and something about tickets are not (I assume that means buying only tickets and not part of a package)

Can someone clarify? Thanks :)

Any changes made to a package reservation has fees involved

Add something or change something will incur a $50 fee change

Book a package if you have no plans to make changes to it

Cancellation Fee for Bookings:
DAYS PRIOR TO ARRIVAL - PENALTIES

46 days or more - Full refund*

45-0 days - $200 fee per reservation, plus fees imposed by hotel, airline and/or other components

Revision Fees:
Once deposit and/or full payment is received, a $50 revision fee per transaction, plus any applicable services fees or price increases, will be assessed for any changes made to the reservation including, but not limited to, dates, air carrier, hotel, and ground transportation. If your vacation includes airline reservations, air change fees apply, plus a $50 per reservation revision fee and any other fees or price increases imposed by the airline will be charged. Fees are non-refundable. Certain types of airline reservation changes, including name changes, are prohibited based upon restrictions imposed by the carrier.

We cancelled a package once, but only because something happened and we were moving our Universal Vacation up from fall to spring. It wasn't a revision, it was a full cancellation and a new reservation, and the new reservation was paid in full at time of booking. It took a little begging, and a little time to get a manager on the phone who was willing to acknowledge that we were spending the same amount of money sooner, and they refunded us in full.

Without the thousands already paid for the spring vacation, not sure this would have been the case, but the refund for the fall vacation deposit did come 45 days later.

So I booked a package, but I realize that I made a mistake. I know people say there are cheaper ways to book, but I just got overwhelmed. It seems like I can just cancel it and start over without a charge (it’s a late-July trip) but if I change it they will charge me $50 - that doesn’t make sense. Is that right? Should I cancel and book through a discount site like UT? I so rarely travel because it stresses me out.

We are staying 3 nights at CBBR and I bought the express pass for the wrong day...and the wrong one, I wanted the unlimited. Last time I booked on the phone so I didn’t realize there was a non-unlimited version. I know other resorts come with it, but my DD LOVES CBBR and with only 2 of us it’s cheaper to just buy the pass for one of our 2 park days.

Since you bought the ep from uo, you can call and have the date changed
You booked with them by phone and would not get the tickets until you checked in

About the package, you can cancel without an issue but it needs to be done 46 days out

Make your hotel reservation now as rates are better this far out than waiting to later
I always suggest calling uo to get current policy when wanting to make a change

Last year we originally booked a package at the Hard Rock as there were no rooms available for our dates at our resort of choice Royal Pacific.

I continued to monitor openings at RPR and it took quite a while, but a room came open at RPR. I didn't have time to mess around and potentially have someone else book the RPR room, so I booked a package with that room as well.

I then cancelled the Hard Rock package outside the 46 day window and got my $100 deposit back no problem. The only issue is they have a policy where they take there time refunding your CC. I can't recall the time frame, but it was at least a couple weeks and they said it was policy. I'm fortunately in a financial situation where I don't care if I'm out $100 for a few weeks, but for those on tighter budgets keep this in mind.

My conversation with the TM led me to believe the policy is just in place to intentionally inconvenience people for cancelling.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!