Universal Cheaping Out In 2009

atricks

DIS Veteran
I was at the Studios today and found them doing something I've not seen before, that is running one train even during the peak of the day on coasters, and what really got to me, was Men In Black only running one track the whole day. (Never seen that before, even on slow days) That takes a lot of the fun out of it.

This caused lines at MIB to be 60 minutes long or more on a slow day along with shutting down the single riders line, and similar things at Mummy (one side all day), Simpsons (one dome only), Jaws (infrequent boats)

I guess they are overreacting to the economic situation (hint: offering less for the same money does not help) and cutting back in stupid ways. I know it's slow season, but it wasn't that slow. In fact there was a good sized crowd for January there today.

I did go to guest services and politely filled out a comment form about it, and they asked anyone else who saw this to visit or write guestservices@universalorlando.com and let the management know they should stop this soon or risk a lot of bad blood.

I was at the Studios today and found them doing something I've not seen before, that is running one train even during the peak of the day on coasters, and what really got to me, was Men In Black only running one track. (Never seen that before, even on slow days) That takes a lot of the fun out of it.

This caused lines to be 60 minutes long on a slow day along with shutting down the single riders line, and similar things at Mummy (one side all day), Simpsons (one dome only), Jaws (infrequent boats)

I guess they are overreacting to the economic situation (hint: offering less for the same money does not help) and cutting back in stupid ways. I know it's slow season, but it wasn't that slow. In fact there was a good sized crowd for January there today.

I did go to guest services and politely filled out a comment form about it, and they asked anyone else who saw this to visit or write guestservices@universalorlando.com and let the management know they should stop this soon or risk a lot of bad blood.
Well that stinks. I've been on MIB first thing in the morning when only one side is running and it DOES take away from the experience. The only ride that really bothers me when they run one train is Dueling Dragons...especially when they have a 20-30 minute wait. Very frustrating but I'm sure they have an excuse. :rolleyes:

Many times on weekdays during slow periods MIB only has one side open sometimes I'm the only person there for more than the first hour.

I just hope this is not a sign of things too come..
If anything cut back the rates on the resorts too draw more crowds..
But Universal dont run the resorts!!
I dont know what this year will bring to all the theme parks!!!

I had read about this on Screamscape. I hope that people let their feelings be known. We won't be there until Feb. but if this is the case, I will complain at guest services as well.

We go to Orlando quite often and we have talked about how money is tight for many people and will people stop going to theme parks then we get there and its PACKED.Seems to me that big companies see this as the perfect time to cut back and raise money in places they wouldn't dare do before.I don't see a drop in price because that would feel like it would diminish the brand of the product.

Yea it really does suck. I suggest telling Guest Services and maybe someone will do something about it. Other things they are doing is only running one Doom Tower and letting the line build to an hour wait. Also only running 1 track on Trolley and letting that line build up. Basically any ride where it takes more staff to run more capacity positions have been cut.

I usually go to the park during a slower time and see this happening all the time. I don't think its something new. But the difference is..when I go..it really is dead and even with half a track open, I can ride rides over and over. the park is that dead.

Simpsons has been up to 70+ min recently and MIB over 60+ if you get to the park around 10-11 or so and try to do some rides, you will probably end up not doing much.

I'm going Sunday and I will absolutely write a formal complaint to Universal is this is the case.

This is not the way to cut back. Universal is really diminishing the quality of visiting their parks and could make themselves look like even more of the second class citizens of Orlando themeparks. If they continue to disregard reducing wait times, people will eventually catch on and just spend extra days at Disney, where fast passes, single rider lines, and the number of ride vehicles are used effectively to prevent horrendous waits.

I'm going Sunday and I will absolutely write a formal complaint to Universal is this is the case.

This is not the way to cut back. Universal is really diminishing the quality of visiting their parks and could make themselves look like even more of the second class citizens of Orlando themeparks. If they continue to disregard reducing wait times, people will eventually catch on and just spend extra days at Disney, where fast passes, single rider lines, and the number of ride vehicles are used effectively to prevent horrendous waits.
I absolutely agree. If they are going to start cutting back during slow periods, they may not have a busy season. People will go elsewhere with the thought...if the lines are 60 mins during slow season, how long are they during busy times? I can't imagine who's brilliant idea this was?

Haven't they also been advertising a new thing where Shrek and Jimmy are open an hour early for people staying onsite and then Rockit once it opens? They've got their priorities screwy. People staying onsite don't need to get up an hour early.

i stay on site and ALWAYS am at the entrance gate 30 minutes before park opening.

i see many guests doing that when i go in october.

I guess we should expect cutbacks in a down economy when income is down from either lower numbers in the parks and/or having the people in the parks at a lower price from discounted hotel rooms, tickets or packages. I always think it is a bad idea for the parks to make cutbacks on its most popular attractions that tend to have the longest lines - the cuts should first be made on less popular attractions by reducing times during the day these attractions are open.

i stay on site and ALWAYS am at the entrance gate 30 minutes before park opening.

i see many guests doing that when i go in october.

Did they have the Shrek and Jimmy rides open an hour early in October or is that just to try to entice onsite people this year? I'd rather have them entice me by keeping popular rides running properly during the day.

the rides at ioa are open and running when the guests are let in.

i do the studios side for simpsons and a few others early also.

there are some rides that are not open even when the park opens at 9 as they have a late schedule start up time.
that has always been like that for years.

it is listed on the park guide maps so guest know that in advance.
the 2 rides damo mentioned i never do until it is close to noon. they are to me, the type i would only do once in a visit. T2 is another attraction that once is enough for me every other trip.

it is a fantastic picture taking time when the parks are practically empty if you are among the first to enter early in the morning.

ioa gets the crowds early morning when the park opens around 8:30ish.
best time to go and do the coasters.

not uncommon for the other park to do the same thing...rarely, do i see both sides of space mt running unless it's really crowded

maybe another way to try & fill the resorts or sell the express passes:confused3

probably the 1st thing they think of when trying to cut operator costs, all about the bottom line; yet if enough complain perhaps they will take notice

Mac, I wonder if they are still doing that with the new cutbacks or if just those two rides are open early now. Those are the two that they are advertising on the Universal Orlando website.

damo, they change so much with promos, it is anyone's guess.

last year during some months, they allowed AP holders in one hour early in the parks from 8-9 for rides without crowds. it was only valid M-F though. (at ioa it covered the coasters and marvel land.)

with the new coaster going in, i would not be surprised if they did early entry for the first month for a promo.

in a way, that is a good thing.
if many get to ride early on any new ride in the park, it might help the long waits in lines. i haven't seen the express lanes for new rides until weeks pass after their opening.

i have noticed over the years that things change based on the month.
i know when someone reads how it was when i went in october, they might assume it is like that for every month which it is not.

like the refill of soda cost was different last year.
the refillable mugs/cups were $. 24 during the summer.
in october it was $ .74

hours and ride openings also vary.
last october, MIB, Simpsons, Jimmy neutron were open before 9.
that gave everyone the chance to do those rides before the official opening of 9:00.
shrek, mummy and others opened and the early crowd that entered at 8:30, went to those rides. made less of a congested area for the 3 that opened early....

i assume based on available staff for the rides, would determine which rides would be opened early each day/month.

rides, with exception of start times in the daily park guide map, officially open at 9:00 each morning.
it's a big bonus when universal does have rides open prior to that.

I know the Mummy has only run one track during non-peak seasons since the day it opened. MIB, not so much. I hate to hear of cutbacks but I'm afraid it may get worse before it gets better.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter