• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Universal advice sought by a newbee

One tip on any ride that uses lockers- you might want to bring a washable marker and write on your hand your locker number each time you get one. I have forgotten my number before and it was not fun to have to ask one of the attendants to open up every.single.locker. until I found mine. If you're not big on writing on skin, you can keep a slip of paper in your pocket.

Another note on lockers- the Hulk lockers are very small. A normal sized backpack may not fit. I had a little canvas backpack that wasn't very full and I had to shove it in there.

Sounds like you've got some good tips! One other thing is not to be intimidated by the wait time for Forbidden Journey, because the queue is just as amazing as the ride. 30-45 minutes actually gives you a great amount of time to absorb the details and get some photos, especially your first couple of times riding it.
I don't know if all the locker areas do, but there is a place to touch if you forgot your locker number. It then works strictly off your finger scan. There are some bigger lockers at hulk towards the back closer to storm force.

I don't know if all the locker areas do, but there is a place to touch if you forgot your locker number. It then works strictly off your finger scan. There are some bigger lockers at hulk towards the back closer to storm force.
Yes, but that only works if you remember what section it's in. Which I didn't. So if you tend to get distracted easily or just want to be sure, I would write it down. Saves a whole lot of trouble!

Minions gets busy fast and stays busy all day. You may want to hit it first one day, so that you're not waiting in line a long time.

Water rides get you WET! Soaked wet! Be prepared for that. Bring extra clothes or wear things that dry easily. (No jeans or heavy materials). We tend to plan on doing the Flume and the Barges one after the other so we only are wet for one period of time. And if you like the Barge and the line's not long, get back in (DD and I did that last trip....three times in a row). Jurrasic Park's ride may get your wet, but it's in a different park so can't be done at the same time.

Jurrasic Park's ride may get your wet, but it's in a different park so can't be done at the same time.

It's not terribly far, just around the bend past Kong. Since I always have my camera in the parks, we pay $5 for the locker near Bilge Rat Barges (Popeye), go on that one, then do Dudley DoRight's Ripsaw Falls, then head to JP's water ride.

We have express passes by staying onsite, so we've never missed the deadline for the locker (and IMO $5 is worth every penny to save my camera :) )

I heard there were "dryers" near the water rides. Is that true? How do they work? Is there a charge?

I heard there were "dryers" near the water rides. Is that true? How do they work? Is there a charge?
I think they are $5 and I've only heard people say they aren't worth it. No real world experience though.

Yep, they are 5 dollars. Grandchildren have used it. Does not dry you off completely.

The dryers are a waste of $5, IMO.

The last few trips, we've stayed on-site and had a plan to do all three water rides in a row right after lunch, then head back to the hotel for a mid-day break.

Then, every day, we'd look at each other around that time and say, "Eh, let's just ride JP. If we get wet enough, we'll stick to the plan." We've never stuck to the plan. lol

Yep, we've done the $5 dryers too (one time we were SOAKED after Ripsaw Falls, then a storm was brewing and it got chilly/windy) It was comfortable, being in the dryer with the warm air...but it did nothing to actually dry us.

If it's sunny, you'll dry quick. If not, I'd vote to go back to the hotel to change :D

Are there ponchos that you can purchase in IOA? I'm hoping that would be a bit more effective.

Are there ponchos that you can purchase in IOA? I'm hoping that would be a bit more effective.
Yes there are. Here's my daughter wearing hers. Sorry, one of my all time favorite pics. Only time we have every used them. It poured hard all day!
DFA14295-11BF-4214-B23F-8BA47F2E4F0D_zpszryw6gfj.jpg

What a cute pic of your little girl PC.

Walmart has ponchos. They are good quality for about 4 dollars.

What a cute pic of your little girl PC.

Walmart has ponchos. They are good quality for about 4 dollars.
I don't remember how much they were. That was a few years ago. One of the few days where it rained all day.:crazy2:
But, we had the parks to ourselves. Really fun day!
Thanks Robo

Yep, we learned the hard (expensive) way that the parks sell ponchos. (family of 5)

Park ponchos (4 yrs ago) were $11 each. Nice Universal logo (HP logo if bought in HP area), EXCELLENT quality.

Dollar Store poncho (Dollar Tree) $1 each. Plain, TERRIBLE quality. Think thin waste basket liner. We bought 2 each, and all of them ripped through when it was a windy, rainy day; or when trying to pull them on quick and a finger would pierce the plastic. :(

WalMart poncho (camping section) $4 for kid ponchos, $6 for adult sizes (at my local store) Variety of colors (which was nice, as we each got a different color to know which was which...could buy the same color to easily spot your family in the rain though) VERY good quality...almost as nice as the park ones. Still going strong after 2 vacations and at least 5 uses per vacation (one kiddo wears his on every water ride)

I don't think ponchos help much on the water rides. You could try that though.

You won't stay bone dry with a poncho, but we do it occasionally (and youngest wears one every time he rides) and you stay A LOT drier that the soaking you'd get w/o a poncho :D
On HOT days, I don't mind being soaked, but on windier days, I'll wear a poncho & just be wet from the knees down. ;)

For the OP, make sure you go to ET and beyond that ride to Woody Woodpecker's coaster & Fievel's playground. My 9 and 13 year old have been to Universal many times & love all the big rides but they still love this area. There is also a Curious George water play area and a ball area beyond that that my kids love too. I had a hard time dragging them out if there last week. Simpsons & Shrek are also two great rides for kids that are not that daring. Transformers and Spiderman are both amazing rides & not that scary if you can get your kids on them. Honestly, I think they are both better than anything that Disney has.

You will get soaked on the water rides but they are so much fun. I pack a backpack with flip-flops & a change of clothes for everyone. We tried ponchos instead last week but I was in the front on Dudley Doo-Right & all the water went right down the front of my poncho. And all of us had soaked socks & shoes.

If IOA has early entry, I would start at Universal Studios. Head straight to Gringotts & then go straight to the Minions. Then back to the HP area. I would look around a bit then take the train & ride the HP ride in IOA. After that, you can relax a little and just make your choices based on wait times. If the line for the train is too long, you can go to the front and walk from park to park.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter