Unique food at Disneyland vs. Disney World

JiminyCricket!

Mouseketeer
I'm going to be visiting Disneyland next month. I have an AP at Disney World in Orlando, so I want to focus on things that are unique at Disneyland and California Adventure that we don't have at Disney World. What foods, snacks, desserts, restaurants, etc. would you recommend that are DIFFERENT from the Florida parks?

My DD and I were just talking about this last night which treat we were looking forward too.
Ditto on the Churro there so much better at DL
Cafe Orleans-Pommes Fries and Monte Cristo
Mickey Beignets and Mint Julep
Cozy Cones (Carsland) there are different offerings My favorite is the ice cream cone
My absolute favorite treat is the English Toffee in one of the stores on Main street great to bring home too
Matterhorn Macaroon
Tigger tails
These are all I can think of now I am sure you will get alot of ideas from others.

Clam Chowder/Gumbo in bread bowls
Beignets
...both are in New Orleans square, the exact names are escaping me
IN and Out (okay that's in the parks)

Definitely a churro as well as a corn dog from little red wagon. Trust me. Otherwise get some Cajun food from Cafe Orleans or Ralph Brennan’s In DTD. Get a tigger tail from Pooh Corner. Plaza Inn fried chicken. There is so much good counter service food at DLR really....

Most of the food at Disneyland is unique and not available at WDW, with the exception of burgers, chicken tenders, pretzels, Turkey legs, popcorn and Dole whip. Almost every CS restaurant at DL and DCA offers stuff you won't find at WDW. My suggestion is look at ALL the menus and see what sounds interesting to you.

But yes, get a DL churro and a DL corndog... much better here than at WDW.

We are fellow WDW regulars. We thought the Plaza Inn chicken and mashed potatoes was very good comfort food. I really like the quick service/sit down hybrids like this. We also splurged on Carthay Circle, which was excellent - but for the money, we preferred the counter service options, to be honest. If you want quick service options beyond burgers and fries, Disneyland really shines.

All the soups in bread bowls.... yummmmm
Mickey beignets in New Orleans square.
I swear the Mickey pretzels taste better at DL too. They’re always hot and super soft. I find them to be stale at WDW! The churros are better at DL as well. Love the fruit stand across from Jungle Cruise.... had a delicious pineapple spear yesterday.

We are fellow WDW regulars. We thought the Plaza Inn chicken and mashed potatoes was very good comfort food. I really like the quick service/sit down hybrids like this. We also splurged on Carthay Circle, which was excellent - but for the money, we preferred the counter service options, to be honest. If you want quick service options beyond burgers and fries, Disneyland really shines.

My husband and I totally agree with this! The quick service meals are soooooo much better at DL, but we really miss the sit down meals at WDW, especially our faves at World Showcase and Disney Springs!

-Matterhorn macaroon and Mickey macaron from Jolly Holiday
-A corn dog from the Red Wagon
-Skewers and jungle julep from Bengal Barbecue
-Mint julep and Mickey beignets from Mint Julep Bar (although I prefer the beignets at Ralph Brennan’s in DTD)
-Gumbo from Royal Street Veranda
-Lobster nachos and a cocktail from Lamplight Lounge
-Pommes frites and monte cristo from Cafe Orleans

And although the food isn’t my favorite, eating at a waterside table in Blue Bayou is such a great experience that you can’t have in WDW.

For me it's about what I missed from DL when I was at WDW. I love the English toffee, churros, mint julep. I agree with others as far as a unique dining experience you can't beat Blue Bayou. (I think everyone should try it once for the atmosphere)

-Matterhorn macaroon and Mickey macaron from Jolly Holiday
-A corn dog from the Red Wagon
-Skewers and jungle julep from Bengal Barbecue
-Mint julep and Mickey beignets from Mint Julep Bar (although I prefer the beignets at Ralph Brennan’s in DTD)
-Gumbo from Royal Street Veranda
-Lobster nachos and a cocktail from Lamplight Lounge
-Pommes frites and monte cristo from Cafe Orleans

And although the food isn’t my favorite, eating at a waterside table in Blue Bayou is such a great experience that you can’t have in WDW.
Pommes frites are on the menu at Be Are Guest for lunch. They lie, they are trying to pass off regular fries. The ones at DLR are wonderful.

Will echo a few others from earlier, but also provide some originals here:

• Corndogs are definitely better at DL
  • The cozy cone is fun
  • Carthay circle is a great spot if you want sit down, even if you can't grab a reservation the lounge is worth a stop in
  • Blue bayou is to me the most unique themed dining experience of any Disney park
  • Churros are a must, but choose wisely. At any given time there are 4-8 different flavors (don't get fooled and go for the ones from downtown disney)
  • The skewers are wonderful, we miss them anytime we're in WDW
  • Skip the beignets in DL and go to Ralph's
  • The drinks at the spot back by the marvel area are much better than the random mixed ones from WDW

Pear-O-Dice drink with dill popcorn from Cozy Cones makes a great snack to watch the lights come on in Carsland. (Good for people watching too!)

Meatloaf at Carnation Cafe. Oh, and the fried pickles too!

If they have the doughnut in the line up, the "Dole Whip" doughnut is very yummy!

My husband would tell you in California Adventure the Karl Strauss beer truck on the pier; the Michelada cocktail from the Hollywood Lounge in the Marvel area (you might want to pre-order that on the Disneyland app because the line for them is sometimes huge), and the Street Tacos from the Studio Catering (food truck) in the Marvel area.

I am with several of the PPs-- Disneyland Churros are way way above WDW churros. My favorite place is the cart in front of Sleeping Beauty's castle. I'm also a fan of the Beignets. The pomme frites from Cafe Orleans would be on my whole family's list. Oga's Obsession at the Cantina in Galaxy's Edge is very unique and very good. I'm not usually a fan of the popping pearls so I did not expect to like it, but it was great. It is kind of a lemonade, cotton candy, blueberry jello. We all found most of the Batuu bits to be pretty nasty so watch out for those-- we found them fun to try and watch the faces we made as we tasted them.

Really the CS food at DLR is WAY above most of it at WDW. There are a ton of places and option and the food is better in our opinion.

I'm going to be visiting Disneyland next month. I have an AP at Disney World in Orlando, so I want to focus on things that are unique at Disneyland and California Adventure that we don't have at Disney World. What foods, snacks, desserts, restaurants, etc. would you recommend that are DIFFERENT from the Florida parks?

Get a Tigger tail (marshmallow dipped in caramel then white chocolate and rolled in orange sugar). Can't get them anywhere except Disneyland California. I was SO disappointed on our first trip to Disneyworld to realize they don't have them there. I'm not even a big marshmallow fan, but these are to die for.

Also, make sure to have dinner at Blue Bayou. So beautiful. I actually really like the food (haven't been in a few years, but it was always good).

So to ask an additional question.... hope that’s ok OP.... which counter service does everyone think is best for a complete meal, not just snacks? Something other than chicken tenders and burgers?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter