• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Under 21?

M

marges

Is there a lower age limit for people checking in as your guests? If I were to plan a trip for my daughter as a gift (she is 18) would she be able to check in? Has anyone ever done this?

I have and as usual, Disney is great about it. We sent our 18 and 20 year old down together to celerbrate the 18 yr old's High School graduation.

Make sure you explain to DVC reservations what you're doing at the time you make the reservation, also make sure they have some sort of authorized credit card with them for checking in. It'll make things very easy.

Also, call a few days ahead of check in and re-confirm the reservation before arrival so there's no "surprises". Also, Disney will note the file to know they're two young adults traveling alone. I think they get a bit better attention this way.

My two girls had a BALL when they did this a few months ago. It's a great gift!:D

We looked into this for the Disney Cruise. At the time, my daughter would have been 2 weeks shy of turning 18, while her friend actually was 18.

I was told that either both of them needed to be 18, or, if one of them was younger than that, then the other one would have to be 21.

I don't know if this rule only applies to Cruises. If you have the same situation, I would suggest that you contact Member Services to see if they have the same policy.

While slightly OT, those that are interested in Concierge and II exchanges should note that many timeshares require 21, 23 even 25 in a couple of cases. I wouldn't want anyone to be turned away. Check with Disney directly and not just a front line person at the resort or MS. Best would be an email and then print out the reply for evidence.

The reason the cruise is more strict is because you leave the country. There are very specific rules for a minor to leave the country without a parent or guardian.

Thanks so much for the info! I was thinking about sending DD (who will be 18) and two friends (who will be just a few months shy of 18) as a graduation present. I noticed that many timeshares do require checkin ages of 21 for guest users, but I wasn't sure about Disney, or about the fact that she is a member of my immediate family making a difference. I think I will Email Member Services just to get something in writing.

My son took some friends down before he reached 21. They had no problem. When he reached 21, I put him on as a member. Now both my children can enjoy many years of disney fun.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter