UK-US travel, 2021/2022

Anyone presently in the US and affected by the new departure test rules?
I’ve called SEVEN places and the cheapest Rapid Test is $139 pp
Most places are charging $189-$200 )I noticed that they were all keen to point out that out of pocket costs to US citizens is a fraction of the above). My parents fly back on Thursday although I’m wondering if we should just keep them here 😝

we aren’t even in the tourist area so I sure hope these places aren’t milking families just because they have no option.

There is someone on a fb group who is offering tests at a centre for $35pp. Hold on, I'll see if I can find the post.

Most places are charging $189-$200 )I noticed that they were all keen to point out that out of pocket costs to US citizens is a fraction of the above). My parents fly back on Thursday although I’m wondering if we should just keep them here 😝

we aren’t even in the tourist area so I sure hope these places aren’t milking families just because they have no option.
Thats extortionate, profiteering at its best.

I hope your parents get back safely and not too costly.

Thats extortionate, profiteering at its best.

I hope your parents get back safely and not too costly.

right?!
Not sure it’s worth sending them back lol. They’re in their late 70s and after such a Locke time together my dad is saying he’s never coming back 😣

Sorry its $50. I've read too much these last few days!

The price is still Waaay better. Because these folks don’t take insurance. They are fully booked through December 15th but this is actually helpful because I’m going to try places that don’t take medical insurance. Thank you again 🙏

There is someone on a fb group who is offering tests at a centre for $35pp. Hold on, I'll see if I can find the post.
Please be careful people. There will certainly be legitimate companies who profiteer off this opportunity, and there will be genuine offers at sensible prices.
But there will also be outright scammers who will take your money and you'll eventually discover their test centre is a vacant lot.

I’m not sure where you are, but CVS here (California) does free rapid testing by appointment. I am not sure how it works if you're not a US resident, so this may not be useful info, but might be worth looking into if you haven’t. There are also some smaller private clinics around here that do rapid testing for around $25. Binax also has a supervised version of their rapid test that you can order, but I think you have to buy 6 and it might be too late to have them shipped.

Absolutely.
I'm sure some on iot fb group have used the one I mentioned above though to be able to get home

I believe they are legit. I called them today although they are fully booked until after my parents leave. However they do have a link to the CDC website where their reg number is.

I’m not sure where you are, but CVS here (California) does free rapid testing by appointment. I am not sure how it works if you're not a US resident, so this may not be useful info, but might be worth looking into if you haven’t. There are also some smaller private clinics around here that do rapid testing for around $25. Binax also has a supervised version of their rapid test that you can order, but I think you have to buy 6 and it might be too late to have them shipped.

Yes, lots of places to the rapid test (we are in Florida). I also called CVS as well. The issue for us isn’t the availability of appointments. It’s the cost and the extremely short notice. As you say, it rules put the option of getting anything shipped in time. Especially at this time of the year.

The bigger issue is that there’s a different cost for citizens and non citizens - like 5 times the cost for visitors.

my husband and I decided this evening that for the sake of everyone’s sanity and the fact that we’re so over all this BS we are just going to pay what these sharks want for the expensive prices, cover the costs ourselves and be done with it. We will take my parents to a place that does walk ins and 15 minute results. It’s a 10 minute drive from home.That one is $140 pp but it still beats the $210 per head and at least they can then complete all those online forms the have to submit before check in.
My heart goes out to those in this situation who don’t have friends or family or transportation. I can’t imagine the stress of being at Disney and losing the last few days of a trip with all this nonsense, not to mention the expense.
Thank you to everyone who helped out with info on here. I’m sorry o don’t have any helpful info in return.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter