UK-US travel, 2021/2022

Yes it can be a lateral flow / antigen test, but it has to be supervised. Either done at a pharmacy, or airport testing centre or via a company that offers video call supervision such as breathe assured or Qured.

• become fully vaccinated, if staying 60 days or longer, within 60 days of arrival in the USA or as soon as medically appropriate, unless you have a medical contraindication or are too young to be vaccinated.
was that on previously? dont remember seeing it.

My dad travelled over today from Manchester to MCO. Said check in was fine and they checked his covid documents within a minute. (He did a video call supervised LFT on Saturday).

He was 5th off the plane at MCO, lucky for him he only had hand luggage, so straight to immigration - no hassle, he was picking up his hire car 25 minutes after landing!
I don’t doubt it’ll be carnage being off the same as all the crowds of people and having to wait for luggage, but he said there was no extra delays or questions in regards to check in or immigration.

So I want to make sure I understand the regulations as they currently are for us when we travel next summer. My wife and I are fully vaccinated, and she's booked in for her booster today. I'll get my booster in Dec probably when the 6 months since my 2nd jab is up. Neither of our kids are currently vaccinated. My daughter (currently 14, will be 15 when we travel) may have one or two jabs before we travel, depending on what they offer to kids between now and then.

So as it stands, my understanding is:
  • We will all need tests showing negative results from no more than 3 days before we travel.
  • We will need to provide proof of vaccination and proof of negative test results.
  • We will all need to test within 3-5 days of landing in the US.
I have a couple of questions. The test 3 days before we travel...is that a lateral flow test, or a PCR test? Do we need to report the results of our test 3-5 days after landing to anyone?

And then what are the current rules upon return? PCR testing on days 2 & 8?

This is all going to be further complicated by me flying from and returning to Dublin while living in Northern Ireland, isn't it?

I just want a holiday!

So I want to make sure I understand the regulations as they currently are for us when we travel next summer. My wife and I are fully vaccinated, and she's booked in for her booster today. I'll get my booster in Dec probably when the 6 months since my 2nd jab is up. Neither of our kids are currently vaccinated. My daughter (currently 14, will be 15 when we travel) may have one or two jabs before we travel, depending on what they offer to kids between now and then.

So as it stands, my understanding is:
  • We will all need tests showing negative results from no more than 3 days before we travel.
  • We will need to provide proof of vaccination and proof of negative test results.
  • We will all need to test within 3-5 days of landing in the US.
I have a couple of questions. The test 3 days before we travel...is that a lateral flow test, or a PCR test? Do we need to report the results of our test 3-5 days after landing to anyone?

And then what are the current rules upon return? PCR testing on days 2 & 8?

This is all going to be further complicated by me flying from and returning to Dublin while living in Northern Ireland, isn't it?

I just want a holiday!

As I understand it yes they are LFT not PCR but has to be supervised.

Children under 18 travelling with fully vaccinated adults do not have to do a day 3-5 test but its advised. Dont think there is anyone to report this to anyway.
You then all need a day 2 test on return to UK.

Not sure what other complications you will have with Dublin as you pass immigration in Dublin so will just have to do everything before you fly and then have no worries the other end :)

Correct

Correct

• We will all need to test within 3-5 days of landing in the US

Not correct.
Vaccinated adults are recommended to 3-5 days of landing in the US
Under 18's are required 3-5 days of landing in the US.

However it is the responsibility of the parent / guardian to do the tests for the children.
There is no official reporting system for the 3-5 day test for under 18's
There is no information what type of tests are required for the 3-5 day test for under 18's

Hey guys, update from Dallas. The whole experience was pretty slick.
Did a 3 day prior Lateral Flow/Antigen test - got the certificate back within the hour.
Uploaded this and my vaccine certificate onto Verifly and completed the attestation and uploaded that. the check in desk saw my verifly app was green and just printed me a new boarding pass. On CBP arrival they only checked my passport and reason for visit, made no reference to my vaccine status or the advised day 3-5 test. I landed at 2 and was in my hotel for 3:20.

Correct

Correct

Not correct.
Vaccinated adults are recommended to 3-5 days of landing in the US
Under 18's are required 3-5 days of landing in the US.

However it is the responsibility of the parent / guardian to do the tests for the children.
There is no official reporting system for the 3-5 day test for under 18's
There is no information what type of tests are required for the 3-5 day test for under 18's

page 2 to 18 years old only need to do the test 3-5 days from landing

under 2s do not need too either

Following a news item yesterday about the UK domestic and travel covid passes diverging a bit on booster/3rd shots, the understandings around waning protection, and getting my 3rd one today, I was pondering the future.

I foresee :magnify: that sometime next year international travel will become a bit more joined up with a common standard that vaccinated means 'had at least two shots (except single shot vaccines) with the latest not more than 12 months prior to travel'.
That seems to make sense as it will keep protection fairly high and fits with an annual booster regime, such as flu.

I flew yesterday from Heathrow to the US (not MCO; heading there later this week on a domestic US flight). I'm a dual citizen so have been able to travel between the UK (where I live) and US (where my family are) all through the last year and and a half. I just wanted to give a heads up that the Virgin Atlantic check in zone yesterday at Heathrow was chaos.

I fly between the two countries 1-3 times a year (for the last 15 years), always arrive 2 hours early (I know 3 hours is often recommended for intl), and have never seen carnage like this. Virgin has you first queue at a documents check line to check your vaccine proof and test results (this was new since my last flight before the borders reopened; in the summer they just checked our test results at the counter), and then you get into the bag drop line for the counter and the usual passport verification/bag drop. And they just barely moved (while I was in the documents line I was watching the bag drop lines to see if they were moving....they were not. It was like watching snails). I ended up in the flight closures line for my check in (and luckily was pulled into it comparatively early as I was near the front and then that queue also ended up extending all the way back to the window).

It may have been worse because it was a Saturday (and the weekend before the US' Thanksgiving holiday), but just a heads up for everyone to make sure to give yourself plenty of time!

Testing wise, I've used Qured for the supervised lateral flow for both my trips out to the US (since that rule was introduced) and Project Screen for my return to the UK lateral flow (when it was needed) and day 2 test, and have had no problems with either (Project Screen also gave me a refund this summer because the return testing rules changed after purchase/pre-use).

Thanks for the heads up! We are planning on arriving at LHR 4 hours earlier than our flight, which is on Sunday 19th December. Hoping that will be early enough!
We are using Qured for our pre departure tests. Can I ask, the link in the email confirming the video consultation booking, do I just click on that a few mins before the time slot? I don't need to download anything or go via a different system or anything? Thanks!

I flew yesterday from Heathrow to the US (not MCO; heading there later this week on a domestic US flight). I'm a dual citizen so have been able to travel between the UK (where I live) and US (where my family are) all through the last year and and a half. I just wanted to give a heads up that the Virgin Atlantic check in zone yesterday at Heathrow was chaos.

I fly between the two countries 1-3 times a year (for the last 15 years), always arrive 2 hours early (I know 3 hours is often recommended for intl), and have never seen carnage like this. Virgin has you first queue at a documents check line to check your vaccine proof and test results (this was new since my last flight before the borders reopened; in the summer they just checked our test results at the counter), and then you get into the bag drop line for the counter and the usual passport verification/bag drop. And they just barely moved (while I was in the documents line I was watching the bag drop lines to see if they were moving....they were not. It was like watching snails). I ended up in the flight closures line for my check in (and luckily was pulled into it comparatively early as I was near the front and then that queue also ended up extending all the way back to the window).

It may have been worse because it was a Saturday (and the weekend before the US' Thanksgiving holiday), but just a heads up for everyone to make sure to give yourself plenty of time!

Testing wise, I've used Qured for the supervised lateral flow for both my trips out to the US (since that rule was introduced) and Project Screen for my return to the UK lateral flow (when it was needed) and day 2 test, and have had no problems with either (Project Screen also gave me a refund this summer because the return testing rules changed after purchase/pre-use).
Did you use VeriFLY? I wonder if that makes check in smoother.

I may be wrong, but I don't think Virgin use Verifly?

Correct, Verifly wasn't an option with Virgin.

We are using Qured for our pre departure tests. Can I ask, the link in the email confirming the video consultation booking, do I just click on that a few mins before the time slot? I don't need to download anything or go via a different system or anything? Thanks!

Nope, no need to download anything! I clicked on the link and it used my internet browser, and it connected to my computer's camera. This time I did have an issue where once the consultant brought me into the room my camera stopped working (it was fine while I was in the waiting room), but I just returned to the waiting room and she brought me back in, and it was fine.

Correct, Verifly wasn't an option with Virgin.

Nope, no need to download anything! I clicked on the link and it used my internet browser, and it connected to my computer's camera. This time I did have an issue where once the consultant brought me into the room my camera stopped working (it was fine while I was in the waiting room), but I just returned to the waiting room and she brought me back in, and it was fine.
Thankyou!

Sitting in the 1903 lounge at Manchester airport after an easy and fast check in with VA.

Although we had our proof of vaccination on our phones, we had everything printed off including our our vaccination details in letter form, which we had requested through the NHS app.

The lady said she loved folks who were this organised ::yes::

The CDC attestation form she informed us was out of date, we only printed it off a week ago, but we had filled in the Attestation online and they also had a paper copy it you needed one, it was one page and very simple.

They checked we had proof of vaccination, a negative covid Antigen (LFT) and completed the Attestation form and that was it, it really was easy and stress free after weeks of stressing over whether we had the correct info they would require.

Relaxing with tea now…….:wave2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts