UG to DL '08--Author says BIGGER and BETTER

Dale-n-Chip

DIS Veteran
Planning a spur-of-the-moment day trip to DL last summer, I purchased Sehlinger's UG to DL. I'm a long-time fan of everything "Unofficial Guide" and noticed immediately the book was quite thin--<300 pages. Huh?! My UG to WDW I used for my March 05 trip could be used as ballast! But UGDL was the only guide on the shelf I was willing to trust (did I mention there are currenty five different destination UGs on the bookshelf to my left?!). I used it again planning a Dec 05 trip. And I got it out again to plan my upcoming Girls Only trip in Nov/Dec. All over again, I was frustrated with it's tiny size. Where were the crowd charts? Dining reviews? What's the deal? UGDL needs more love! So I wrote a letter to Bob Sehlinger, the author. About a week later, this is the response I got from Bob:

Hi Mary Kaye,

Thanks for writing. I agree with you completely. The publisher has constrained us from doing the things you mention by imposing a limit on the number of pages in the book. I get a lot of letters and emails just like yours and pass them all along to the publisher. It's too late for the 2007 edition that goes to press in a couple of weeks, but the publisher is finally getting the message and I think we'll be allowed to enlarge the 2008 edition of Disneyland and add a whole new dining section.

All the best,

Bob.

For one thing, I was pretty geeked to get a letter back from BOB SEHLINGER because, again, I'm a big fan. I read the UG to Las Vegas cover to cover every year, even though I don't get to go nearly that often. I just love the book (geek! :3dglasses ). The other exciting news was that the UGDL is getting a makeover for 2008. :woohoo: That's a long way away, but it's something.

I did break down and buy PassPorter's DL guide. I love the PassPockets :love: and maps and it's pretty thorough. My, er, "realist" personality really clicks with Sehlinger and his UG crew, though. Jennifer and Dave Marx, while very informative, are a little too. . . giddy/happy/optimistic for my tastes. I'm not nearly as nice as they are!

Something for us DL fans to look forward to. . . :hourglass

mk

Awesome! I bought my first Disneyland UG last February, and read it cover to cover in a few days. We're taking our first trip to DL in September, so it's about time I re-read it and take notes! :)

I think the additions you mention will be great, and I hope they make it in the 2008 version.

I bought the UG to DL on our first trip in 2004 then again the following year in 2005. I'm like you, I trust the UG to anything but was very disappointed to find that I was pretty much buying the same book with a different year slapped on it. I'm looking forward to the 2008 edition.

I also LOVED the WDW Unofficial Guide and ordered the Disneyland one online and was immediately dissapointed in the size. Also read it in two days and have gone back to my WDW one for "fun". What other guide book do you recommend? Do you like the passporter. Never seen one. I bought UG and Frommers when we went to WDW and UG beat it hands down! Planning first trip to DL in the fall.

Honestly, calena, the DL guides all STINK! At least that is MHO. The UG is the best of the bunch, anemic as it may be.

The PassPorter is a great organizational tool. The PassPockets in the back allow me to keep everything organized, which does NOT come naturally to me. Oh, sure, I could have created a whole filing system of folders and binders and such. . . but I didn't HAVE TO! Love ya, Jennifer Marx (PP author)--mean it! Plus I think their maps are better than the park maps Disney provides.

Do you NEED a PassPorter for DL? No, probably not. But it is at least worth checking out at your local bookstore or on-line: http://www.passporter.com

BTW, if you love the UG, you might enjoy hearing Len Testa (the geek behind the touring plans) on the WDW Today podcast. You can listen from the WDW Today site or get it on iTunes. I love it!

Happy planning!

mk

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter