Uber with a 6 yr old, booster seat?

Shacka1

Hakuna Matata
Hi Guys

I will be there tomorrow and it just occurred to me that I don't know the rules for Uber/Lyft in FL. We will only need to use them once the entire trip, to get from All Star Movies to the Poly
My daughter is 6 and 50 lbs, can I take an Uber/Lyft without a car seat?

I looked this up and per google at least, 6 year olds in FL don’t need car seat in that situation. But I’d recommend at least getting the inflatable booster seat to be safer in the car since it’s so lightweight and portable (that’s what I bought for the trip). Hope this helps!

Not sure if this is possible but do you have/can you get or borrow a MiFold? They're amazing for kids that age, quick to install and fold up to the size of a chapter book basically. We use them with our 3 and 5 year old for Uber/Taxi scenarios all the time and they're great. She should for sure be good on the height/weight on them. I'm not positive where you can find one in store (we got ours off amazon/target online) but they're also super inexpensive and generally convenient to have around- maybe $35?

Thank you both! We leave tomorrow so I won't have time to order anything. I was mainly concerned that they would deny us if we tried to get a ride with Lyft/Uber. But since she's 6 I guess not?

I can always do the bus to the monorail but that will take 40+ mins. And it's only for a breakfast res

Under Florida law, you are not required to have a 6 year old in any kind of carseat. As long as she wears a regular seat belt, she is fine. If the driver gives you any trouble, let them know she is 6 and not required to be in a car seat.

You can also request a Disney Owned "MinnieVan" via Lyft. They are better at having the right safety equipment for rides and in better condition than many of your normal drivers.

You can also request a Disney Owned "MinnieVan" via Lyft. They are better at having the right safety equipment for rides and in better condition than many of your normal drivers.
Good to know. I will have to remember this for our next visit.

Car seats and booster seats fly for free as checked baggage on US carriers. If your kid rides in a booster at home, plan to have one for car rides on vacation, even if not required by state law. The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends boosters until kids are at least 4’9” tall, typically ages 8-12 years.

This is not meant as criticism to the OP, at all. I struggle trying to balance safe, economical, efficient modes of travel around WDW and Orlando with my child too.
My suggestion for All stars to Poly would be (1) Minnie van; (2) bus from All stars to MK then take the boat launch or monorail over to Poly; (3) use your own booster in Uber/lyft

You can request an uber with a car seat. It usually takes longer and costs a little more than a regular Uber, but less than a Minnie van.

Never used Lyft, not sure if they offer this.

Uber’s usually only will have one car seat which my understanding is Minnie vans will have two.

Uber only offers car seat service in a few cities. I’ve personally used it in NYC and Orlando. Swipe up like you’re looking for premium options in car seat cities and it will come up.

Last edited:
Just took a Lyft from Animal Kingdom Lodge to Old Key West did a Lyft XL and it just so happened to have a booster seat for my five-year-old in the car. Random coincidence Maybe

We ended up only needing to use a Lyft once. We just did the cheapest option. No booster but she sat in the middle between us.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter