• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Uber to Legoland

keepswimming76

Mouseketeer
Hi,

We're considering squeezing in a day at Legoland during our 9 day visit to WDW in May. Has anyone used Uber to take a ride that far before? The fare appears to be about $40 each way, which seems like a much better option than renting a car for the day. I see that the shuttle is also an option, but we would have to get a ride to the shuttle anyway. And with Uber we would have more flexibility coming and going.

Do you think Uber is a good option for trips that far? We've actually never used it at all before.

Thanks!

Hi,

We're considering squeezing in a day at Legoland during our 9 day visit to WDW in May. Has anyone used Uber to take a ride that far before? The fare appears to be about $40 each way, which seems like a much better option than renting a car for the day. I see that the shuttle is also an option, but we would have to get a ride to the shuttle anyway. And with Uber we would have more flexibility coming and going.

Do you think Uber is a good option for trips that far? We've actually never used it at all before.

Thanks!

yes Uber is great! I know people have used it to go 2 hours away even before. If you have never used it U have a code you can use and get $15 off your ride. It is michelles6825ue. I don't worry about using it once and I am a young female.

I don't think Uber is a good option for a ride that far. Mostly because you might not be able to get back! Its two-hours round trip from WDW to Legoland, and unless there happens to be an Uber driver near Legoland when you're ready to leave, you'll have to wait for someone from Orlando to drive there, if anybody comes to get you at all!

Uber is not a taxi dispatch service...its car sharing. Drivers can pick and choose which fares they want to pick up, so there's no dispatcher that will tell somebody to drive an hour to pick up a fare (and the driver won't be compensated for the drive to get you). There might be times and places where Uber drivers will go on long trips, but there's no guarantee one will be available for you when you want to leave Legoland.

Now if Winter Haven happens to have a good number of Uber drivers, then it could work. But you'd need to know that ahead of time or risk a very expensive taxi ride.

I just played with my Uber app, pretending to be at Legoland - no cars were available (but 2.8X surge pricing was in effect in the WDW area).

Here's Uber's webpage on Orlando....not that this is definitive, but Winter Haven and Legoland are clearly not in the box:
Capture2.JPG

$80 (plus tip bc you can tip just not through the app) is better than a car for the day? Keep checking for cars.

Great points everyone. We'll have to research options a bit more. There is always the shuttle. Thanks.

Great points everyone. We'll have to research options a bit more. There is always the shuttle. Thanks.
Just did a quick search on www.carrentalsavers.com for a 1 day rental from the Car Care Center in mid May 2016 (I used May 18) and it looks like an Economy, Compact or mid-size will run you around $34-40 with Budget/Dollar/Thrifty (plus maybe $10 for gas) may even get cheaper as you get closer to departure date

I don't think Uber is a good option for a ride that far. Mostly because you might not be able to get back! Its two-hours round trip from WDW to Legoland, and unless there happens to be an Uber driver near Legoland when you're ready to leave, you'll have to wait for someone from Orlando to drive there, if anybody comes to get you at all!

Uber is not a taxi dispatch service...its car sharing. Drivers can pick and choose which fares they want to pick up, so there's no dispatcher that will tell somebody to drive an hour to pick up a fare (and the driver won't be compensated for the drive to get you). There might be times and places where Uber drivers will go on long trips, but there's no guarantee one will be available for you when you want to leave Legoland.

Now if Winter Haven happens to have a good number of Uber drivers, then it could work. But you'd need to know that ahead of time or risk a very expensive taxi ride.

I just played with my Uber app, pretending to be at Legoland - no cars were available (but 2.8X surge pricing was in effect in the WDW area).

Here's Uber's webpage on Orlando....not that this is definitive, but Winter Haven and Legoland are clearly not in the box:
View attachment 133526

I also just did a check on the app at 10:30am on Monday and no Uber cars were around Legoland at all. That tells me Uber is few and far between in that area and GrnMtnMan is right in that it may be difficult to get back using Uber. Maybe use the shuttle one-way if that's feasible?

$80 (plus tip bc you can tip just not through the app) is better than a car for the day? Keep checking for cars.

Everyone is free to tip for exceptional service but the model of Uber is a cashless environment with no tipping expected or necessary. Uber drivers keep 80% of the fare, so they make more money on your ride than a taxi driver would, for instance.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter