Two Different Resorts for a group?

Snow L

Earning My Ears
Hi I'm looking for some advice. My family of 4 and my younger sister are considering booking a trip. I had originally planned to get a house offsite and told my sister we would cover her hotel, she just had to pay her airfare and park tickets. But now I'm thinking of staying onsite. My kids are young and we really enjoyed being so close to the Magic Kingdom last year. Poly is currently in the lead. My dilemma is that all of us staying in one room is not ideal and paying for 2 rooms at the Poly is way more than I wanted to spend. Would it be weird if we also got a room at Pop or something similar for my sister? As an FYI she has no issue with us staying at a Deluxe and her in a Value lol. I'm just wondering if there are things I need to consider in order to do this. We would plan to spend most of our time together, but not all of it.

Sounds like your sister is flexible on the sleeping arrangements. Not sure why you can't feel comfortable with 5 of you at the Polynesian with only 3 adults. What are the ages of your children? The day bed is quite comfortable for the 5th guest.

One thing to think about is how is your sister going to make it back and forth to Pop from the Polynesian. Do you plan to only meet at the parks?

Have you considered having your older children alternate staying with your sister at Pop? It might make the separation a fun way to integrate 2 resorts into your trip without making it seem odd for any members of your family.

Dave

Kids are 6 and 2. Last time we stayed in a studio at Bay Lake and we felt very cramped. My husband said when we go back we needed something bigger. I know rooms at the Poly are much bigger than a BLT studio but that's why I think we need more space. Also, we will be renting a car so we have some flexibility there. I would definitely plan to utilize the room at Pop for mid day breaks when we are in that area. That is also a good idea about having my oldest stay with her aunt for a night or two.

Would you consider a family suite at AOA? It's not as close to MK but it is on the skyliner which makes Epcot and HS easy and fun to get to. It would certainly save you some money (I believe) and they are so much fun for kids. There are 2 full bathrooms and there is a closed bedroom if you need a separate space for the kids to sleep while adults stay up at night and a small kitchenette for some small meals if you want to. Most importantly you would all be together and your sister would not be left on her own to catch transport at night or in the morning to meet you. They sleep 6 so there would be more than enough space.

I think different resorts is fine IF you are only planning to meet up at the parks or for dinner reservations at a resort. Be mindful that neither of you will be able to swim at the pool of the resort you are not staying at. If your sister is at Pop, she can't swim at the Polynesian. There are CMs there checking to be sure you are a resort guest since the Poly pool is very popular and has limited space. Getting from resort to resort can also be a huge hassle using Disney transportation. If it were me, I'd find someplace you can all stay at together unless you are all totally on board with just connecting in the parks.

This episode mentioned this type of scenario.
https://dvcfan.com/2021/05/10/dvc-show-why-i-just-fell-in-love-with-riviera/Since the show was about Riviera, they talked about how one family could stay at the deluxe Riviera and the other at Caribbean Beach (within walking distance). Another option is a cabin at Wilderness Lodge to share. Also most of DVC 1br sleep 5 (a few resorts don’t, like Copper Creek). That could work as parents get the bedroom and aunti can sleep with the kids in living room, plus you’ll have the benefit of full kitchen and laundry.

I can see having your heart set on Poly though. It could work with her at Pop too. We always meet up at the map stand in parks.

Kids are 6 and 2. Last time we stayed in a studio at Bay Lake and we felt very cramped. My husband said when we go back we needed something bigger. I know rooms at the Poly are much bigger than a BLT studio but that's why I think we need more space. Also, we will be renting a car so we have some flexibility there. I would definitely plan to utilize the room at Pop for mid day breaks when we are in that area. That is also a good idea about having my oldest stay with her aunt for a night or two.
The Poly studios have more square footage, but a lot of that is taken up by the large split bathroom, so if you felt cramped in a studio at Bay Lake I doubt you'd feel any differently in a studio. With a car, maybe a resort further from MK but with with bigger 1br or 2br rooms like OKW or Saratoga might be a good option? A 1br at Old Key West is cheaper than a Poly room most times of the year and has TONS of space.

I had a similar dilemma when we were paying for a cruise for my in-laws to come with us. I considered getting them an inside room while we have a verandah. But I polled the disboards and they confirmed my instinct that it didn't really sit right with me--if you're paying for someone else, the generous thing to do should be the same or better as what you'd get for yourself. So we downgraded our room and upgraded their room so we both had the same rooms, side-by-side. The way it felt to me was you wouldn't invite your sister to dinner at your house and serve her a cheeseburger while you ate filet mignon.

This episode mentioned this type of scenario.
https://dvcfan.com/2021/05/10/dvc-show-why-i-just-fell-in-love-with-riviera/Since the show was about Riviera, they talked about how one family could stay at the deluxe Riviera and the other at Caribbean Beach (within walking distance). Another option is a cabin at Wilderness Lodge to share. Also most of DVC 1br sleep 5 (a few resorts don’t, like Copper Creek). That could work as parents get the bedroom and aunti can sleep with the kids in living room, plus you’ll have the benefit of full kitchen and laundry.

I can see having your heart set on Poly though. It could work with her at Pop too. We always meet up at the map stand in parks.
OKW rooms are huge, and would well for this

Be mindful that neither of you will be able to swim at the pool of the resort you are not staying at. If your sister is at Pop,
Sure she can be on the Poly room reservation but still have a room at Pop. Just need to pay the extra adult fee of $35 per night. She can be added at the front desk as a day guest for individual days if you purchase a Disney vacation package.

Dave

I don't think people are considering how weird it would be for an in-law to share the room with the sister which explains the need for the separate space. At least it would be for me. I would just suggest looking into a dvc studio at the poly to help offset the costs (if possible) or a two bedroom villa. But since cost is a problem and she's fine at POP then let her have the space. It probably wouldn't be an issue and she might like the time away from the family.

I think this is absolutely fine and I wouldn't overthink it too much, since your sister seems willing. She'd just use Disney transportation to get to/from the parks. She might even enjoy having her own room/independence.

Thanks everyone for your insight. We are looking at January so pools won't be an issue. (I'm sure my kids will want to swim, but not my sister). For those of you suggesting looking at other resorts where we could have more space, I guess I'm not sure how that would be better than staying offsite given the current lack of perks? We weren't planning to take buses because we will have a giant stroller to mess with. I think I'm spoiled from our last location...

If your sister doesn't mind staying that far away from you, go for it. I think Dave006's suggestion of adding her as a day guest at Poly so she can use the pool is a good one. In addition to the cabin at Ft. W, you might also want to consider 2 rooms at WL (most likely, slightly cheaper than 2 rooms at Poly) or even a 1-bedroom at CCV or BRV since you have a 2-year old and would fit within occupancy limits.

I think your sister is being kind and going along with what you suggest because you have offered to pay for her accommodations. What kind of days/nights are you considering? All day every day at the parks and just crash at night for a few hours of sleep. Or more laid back with plenty of resort time relaxing, sit by the pool while the kids swim, a break while the kids nap, etc. Where do you envision the extra person in those daytime plans? Whether or not such a split works really depends on the plans and expectations of ALL parties, so I'd suggest you really think out the day-to-day activities and who's to be included or who will go off to do things separately.

Personally, I'd opt for 2 rooms at the same resort - moderate or value if that's the budget for 2 -- request connecting, and with or without connecting you'll have space to spread out (as you said the older one can "sleep over" with aunty).

I think you sister is lucky that you are willing to pay for any resort for her. Even the values on property can get pricy. I wouldn't see any problem with it, it would give her a little alone time, give your kids some fun time visiting their aunt at her resort. Maybe she would want to spend more or less time at the parks than ya'll do so she can just take the bus back when she is ready. It might just be me but I always feel like there can be too much family time and while I love going on trips with my family, I also need breaks from them during that trip. I'm not sure if they have upgraded the rooms at All Star Movies yet, but I actually like the theming there better than Pop and your kids would probably enjoy that as well.

Have you stayed anywhere on the property other than BLT? With kids? Without kids?

I'm wondering if you're going to find the Poly just as crowded as you found BLT, or even more so, since your kids will be older and bigger. So, it may make sense to consider something bigger altogether.

I invited my sister to come along on a Disney trip a few years ago, and really liked having her in the room with us. But, she was specifically invited to help with our kid. Then she was already there if DH and I wanted to go on a walk together etc. Alternatively, we've stayed at different places as extended family, and it definitely takes a bit more coordination to get to the same places at the same time. Just more waiting around and time spent communicating in general.
If you really want to spend most of your time together, then I'd plan to stay in the same place.

Thanks everyone for your insight. We are looking at January so pools won't be an issue. (I'm sure my kids will want to swim, but not my sister). For those of you suggesting looking at other resorts where we could have more space, I guess I'm not sure how that would be better than staying offsite given the current lack of perks? We weren't planning to take buses because we will have a giant stroller to mess with. I think I'm spoiled from our last location...
Well, the dining reservation advantage is pretty huge, especially with a party of 5, given how many reservations are gone by 60 days.
Also the convenience of being close to everything.
And the resorts themselves are pretty nice.
Not sure how the car helps with the stroller folding since you have to fold it for the parking lot tram anyway.

Not sure how the car helps with the stroller folding since you have to fold it for the parking lot tram anyway.
The parking lot trams have not returned since the parks reopened last July but the will return some day.

Dave

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter