Turning 3 while there, not on DDP...

jana616

DIS Veteran
We will be visiting in October, and hope to dine at CRT, 'Ohana, and CM while there (staying off site, thus no dining plan). My daughter will be turning 3 halfway through our trip. I know for park ticket purposes, she is considered 2 for the duration of the trip. Is it the same at restaurants? If we eat at one of those places on or after her birthday, do I still list her as under 3? If we were staying on site with the dining plan, she wouldn't have it for any of the stay, so that would make sense to me, but i want to make sure. I am assuming I don't make note of her birthday on the reservations then, right? I was hoping to do CRT on her actual birthday. Will she still get a wand, even if she's listed as 2? Will she be missing out on any birthday celebration they typically do there? Thanks!

1) What she is at the start, she effectively remains throughout.
2) And, yes, she still gets a wand.

We will be visiting in October, and hope to dine at CRT, 'Ohana, and CM while there (staying off site, thus no dining plan). My daughter will be turning 3 halfway through our trip. I know for park ticket purposes, she is considered 2 for the duration of the trip. Is it the same at restaurants? If we eat at one of those places on or after her birthday, do I still list her as under 3? If we were staying on site with the dining plan, she wouldn't have it for any of the stay, so that would make sense to me, but i want to make sure. I am assuming I don't make note of her birthday on the reservations then, right? I was hoping to do CRT on her actual birthday. Will she still get a wand, even if she's listed as 2? Will she be missing out on any birthday celebration they typically do there? Thanks!

Are you asking about the difference in the price of the food for her being 2 vs 3? When we took my godson for his bday when he was 2 turning 3 (we also did the bday celebrations at each place we went to.) They didn't charge us for his food. Although, I remember that he also wasn't really eating that much anyways during that trip because he ended up teething and not wanting much.

You can always call Dining and ask one of the CMs how they would do that...

jenjen212 said:
Are you asking about the difference in the price of the food for her being 2 vs 3? When we took my godson for his bday when he was 2 turning 3 (we also did the bday celebrations at each place we went to.) They didn't charge us for his food. Although, I remember that he also wasn't really eating that much anyways during that trip because he ended up teething and not wanting much.

You can always call Dining and ask one of the CMs how they would do that...

Yes, I am asking because at 2 she is free, and at 3 she is not. I know to count her in our group total for reservations, but obviously if she is considered "under 3" the whole time, we will save some money. She eats very little, so I am not concerned with the actual food part, lol!

I have been told the same age for the whole trip thing is when staying on property. You don't "age" at WDW. But if you leave WDW everyday you age LOL.

livndisney said:
I have been told the same age for the whole trip thing is when staying on property. You don't "age" at WDW. But if you leave WDW everyday you age LOL.

Huh, I have never heard that one before. Has anyone else found that to be true?

I just posted something similar before finding this thread. We will be starting our vacay with a 9 year old and leaving with a 10 y.o. Is he on the child dining plan all the way through? Another wrench thrown in is that on the day of his actual birthday we are switching hotels so we need to get a new dining plan. Should that one be for a ten year old? How does this work? Everything is booked already, btw...

If you weren't switching hotels on his birthday, I'm fairly certain he'd be a child on the dining plan the whole trip. Since you're starting a second reservation ANC plan on his birthday, I'm not sure for that part?

The age you are at the start of the visit to WDW, is the age he is throughout the entire trip. You won't get penalized for changing resorts.

Yes, I am asking because at 2 she is free, and at 3 she is not. I know to count her in our group total for reservations, but obviously if she is considered "under 3" the whole time, we will save some money. She eats very little, so I am not concerned with the actual food part, lol!

We did CRT just before DD turned 3 so I asked a lot of the same questions. I was told:

*She is the age she was when you arrived (or checked in) .... so she is 2 for their purposes.
* She can eat off of your plate and gets french toast sticks for her meal - that's the freebie (which she loved so that was great - when not too distracted to eat). Not sure if that is still the under 3 meal but that's what it was when I was there. They bring a plate of sweet rolls and fruit for the table to enjoy which she also ate from.

Her brother was 7 months and was offered the kids plate as well but he was too young for it so I told them not to bring it. But she definitely got her wand and "Wishing Stars" and the best quote of our trip was also generated that morning......"And here's a sword for the baby"... they made sure he even had his goods. My guess is some parent who wanted every nickel out of the experience at some point insisted on getting a sword or wand for their baby so they made a big deal of the presentation. Which I immediately removed from sight! ha!:rotfl:

We did CRT just before DD turned 3 so I asked a lot of the same questions. I was told:

*She is the age she was when you arrived (or checked in) .... so she is 2 for their purposes.
* She can eat off of your plate and gets french toast sticks for her meal - that's the freebie (which she loved so that was great - when not too distracted to eat). Not sure if that is still the under 3 meal but that's what it was when I was there. They bring a plate of sweet rolls and fruit for the table to enjoy which she also ate from.

Her brother was 7 months and was offered the kids plate as well but he was too young for it so I told them not to bring it. But she definitely got her wand and "Wishing Stars" and the best quote of our trip was also generated that morning......"And here's a sword for the baby"... they made sure he even had his goods. My guess is some parent who wanted every nickel out of the experience at some point insisted on getting a sword or wand for their baby so they made a big deal of the presentation. Which I immediately removed from sight! ha!:rotfl:

This story made me LOL! :rotfl:

I was wondering about this too. We are staying on property but not doing the DP. We have APs and TiW card. DD turns three during our trip. I know we don't need tickets for her but was concerned about dining especially since we are taking her to BBB and then doing 1900 PF afterwards on her birthday. I told DH, we will probably have to pay for that meal because you have to be 3 to do BBB.

I just posted something similar before finding this thread. We will be starting our vacay with a 9 year old and leaving with a 10 y.o. Is he on the child dining plan all the way through? Another wrench thrown in is that on the day of his actual birthday we are switching hotels so we need to get a new dining plan. Should that one be for a ten year old? How does this work? Everything is booked already, btw...

Disney doesn't recognize split stays; to them you have 2 separate reservations. He's 9 for the first reservation, but since you're starting a new reservation on his birthday he's 10 at that time. Is there any way you can check in the day before so there's no question that he's 9 and would qualify for the child's rate.

I would try calling DVC (or however you made your reservations) and see if they'll sprinkle pixie dust and let you book him with the child's rate.

As far as park tickets, get tickets at the very start of your trip to cover the entire trip. Your son can continue using his child's ticket or you can change it to an adult's ticket at no additional charge.

I was wondering about this too. We are staying on property but not doing the DP. We have APs and TiW card. DD turns three during our trip. I know we don't need tickets for her but was concerned about dining especially since we are taking her to BBB and then doing 1900 PF afterwards on her birthday. I told DH, we will probably have to pay for that meal because you have to be 3 to do BBB.

You'll be fine because as far as tickets and dining she's 2 for her entire trip. The minimum age applies to BBB, but won't affect her meals.

You'll be fine because as far as tickets and dining she's 2 for her entire trip. The minimum age applies to BBB, but won't affect her meals.

This is GREAT to hear, because we're in the same boat! We're hoping to do BBB at DTD on the day of her 3rd birthday, with Chef Mickeys that night, and then CRT the next morning. Out of all of that, all I should pay for is BBB, right?

We went with my niece about a month after she turned three. I remember that when I checked us in to The Crystal Palace the cast member asked me how old she was, and when I started to tell her 3, she said "she's 2 right?" and Caitlunsaid, "no, I'm 3" and held up her fingers. The cast member smiled and said yep, and wrote down 2. :) we really appreciated it. I got the feeling they weren't super concerned with the 2/3 age line and are willing to count them as 2. I'm sure if the birthday is the same week it should be fine. But just to be safe you could. Contact the individual restaurant.

My child turned 3 a week into our vacation. I did not alert anyone of the change. Her appetite did not increase nor did she grow a couple inches. I honestly never gave it a second thought. We Celebrated her birthday and continued our vacation.

We went to Crystal Palace ON my son's 3rd birthday. Back then (2009), you could pay a few bucks to have them decorate the table. He was wearing a Pooh party shirt and a birthday Mickey Mouse ears along with his birthday pin. There was NO mistaking it was his birthday :rotfl2:
I knew I had been told that he counted as two the whole trip for room occupancy and tickets, but I wasn't sure how that would work with the meal.

We were not charged for his meal. (We were on DDP, though, he was not obviously because of his age.)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter