TT decision help please!

crushonmickey

Mouseketeer
My family enjoys tent camping, but we are beginning to think about a travel trailer. Where do we start? Anyone know any good websites? We would love a 5th wheel, but I hear they are expensive--and we would need to purchase a vehicle for towing. We know we don't want a pop up. We're ready for the real McCoy!

Any advice is appreciated!

Lisa

If you are going to use the vehicle you currently have as a tow vehicle, then start there. Find out how much weight it can realistically tow. Don't take the advice of friends or salespeople--really do some research. Towing with an undersized vehicle or towing overloaded can cause some serious wrecks. Find some websites (you'll get plenty of info about those from some of the other TT people here) get some written information, join some organizations and visit your library. Then decide how large a unit you can tow and start shopping around.

One option is a TrailManor. We are picking ours up Columbus Day weekend. Check them out at the TrailManor website . I have camped in everything from a tent to pop up toTT to Class C and Class A and prefer this trailer. I have never camped in a 5'r though.

Good Luck.
Al

Here are 2 web sites with a lot of information about all kinds of RVs. Both have forums or message boards with separate sections for each type of RV:

www.irv2.com

www.rv.net/forums

The first web site also has links to manufacturers' web sites.

I would have posted both those links as well. I find that the irv2 website covers just about anything you ever wanted to know about any kind of tt, 5'r, Class A or class C you could possibly want to know.

Here's just my 2 cents: We recently traded our 28' OUtback with bunkhouse and slide for a 32' Class C. We pulled the OUtback with a Ford Expedition. Now, we went about it backwards from what was recommended. We knew we had to buy a tow vehicle (face it, a Buick LeSabre just don't cut it), so we picked out the trailer first. We bought the Outback because it would fit all 4 of us, with friends possibly, and it was lightweight. I don't think I'll ever buy an ultralight RV again. While it saves on gas, they just feel rickety over time. We traded because our son, who is now 15, grew way too big to fit in the bunk, so we needed an extra queen size bed (he's currently 6'2" and still growing).

Whatever you choose, we traded a pop-up for the Outback and are so glad we did. We absolutely adore the RVing we've been doing. Nothing beats traveling - even to WDW - and bringing your own bed with you.

. . .by the way, our entire RV is decorated in Mickey. We call it the Mickey Mobile! The bedroom is Country Garden Mickey, and the kitchen is Classic Mickey. You'd be amazed at how many people notice, even on the highway. I'm thinking we need a great big decal, right in the middle of the back . . .

Lisa,
Since it appears you don't have a tow vehicle yet you have many options available to you. 5th wheels can be expensive but as you shop around you'll see some inexpensive ones on the lower end.

Are you open to travel trailers? With a TT you still have full use of your truck bed for bikes, toys, anything.

We, too, wanted a 5th wheel but went with a 31' TT instead because we wanted to keep full use of the truck's bed. No regrets.

If your tow vehicle will also double as a daily driver for you/spouse/significant other, then it's important to choose one that fills your needs when you're not towing...which will be most of the time.

Good luck.

I think a fifth wheel is a big step; you may want to consider a Travel Trailer before going for the "big dawg".

A fifth wheel requires a truck with considerable towing capacity, so you are spending a lot of money for a truck and fifth wheel. That is a big hit in the bank account.

A Ford F-150 or a Dodge 1500 (just examples) usually have enough towing power to haul even the largest Travel Trailers.

I would look for a well built TT that has the sleeping accommodations and amenities that would keep your family comfortable. In a couple of years, if you keep the TT in good condition, and want to upgrade you can trade it in for a fifth wheel.

I have a website that promotes camping in New Jersey. I also list RV related companies. Visit this page for a long list of RV manufacturers.

I hope this has been helpful

take your time and do your homework, get the set up you really want the first time around, if you desire a fifth wheel they are availble in pretty close to the same price bracket as many trailers, head to an RV show you can check out a large number of units at one time,

Do you have a vehicle for towing currently?? how many in the family??

take your time and get what you want, but do your research... we just upgraded to a 28 ft. slide out and WOW what a difference the slide makes...

IMHO a 1500 series (1/2 ton) will not pull some of the larger TT, Some of the longer ones with slide outs can be quite heavy. We personally have a 1/2 ton Avavlanche and Suburban that we use to tow a 29 Ft Fleetwood Pioneer. I wouldnt consider towing anything bigger with the vehicles I have, even though the Avalanche has a fairly high tow rating.
Also remember that you have to account for all of the weight in both the tow vehicle and trailer, This includes people, fuel, food, beverages, water, clothing, cooking supplies etc etc etc. It all adds up very quickly.
The other posters here have offered some VERY good advice, shop around and ask as many questions as possible. If you have a regular mechanic ask them also.

Good luck

bigdisneydaddy:

I totally agree. I probably should clarify my previous comment.

Cost was a concern for the original poster so I thought buying a fifth wheel and a truck that could haul it would be a major financial hit.

A Dodge 1500 or Ford F-150 can handle most smaller and mid-size travel trailers. If you have a larger TT or a fifth wheel you will want to step up to a Dodge 2500 or Ford F-250 or perhaps a 3500 or F-350 (these are just examples, I don't have any bias towards any truck manufacturer).

The cost of a larger TT or fifth wheel, plus a truck that has the towing capacity to handle either is going to get you easily into the $45,000 - $50,000 range (at least in my part of the country). That just seemed like a lot of money and a large “step-up” for someone who is use to tent camping.

Side note: Follow-up maintenance is important so choose a dealership that is close and one you can hopefully trust to do good work.

We've been members of IRV2.com since it's begining. Anything you want to know, about towing (or just about anything), just post it and someone will answer you, with great uselful advice.

A group of us from IRV2.com (I think we are up to 59 now..25 families) are camping this weekend..we've camped several times, and have become friends...friends that met on a website, much like this one. Come on over, register (no charge) and ask away. I'm in the Nor Easters group (New England including NY and NJ).

A Ford F-150 or a Dodge 1500 (just examples) usually have enough towing power to haul even the largest Travel Trailers.

I think you might mean they would haul some of the smaller travel trailers. We tow a 30 foot aluminum trailer (Holiday Rambler Alumalite) with a 3/4 ton Chevy Silverado..we wouldn't tow with anything lighter than the truck we have. It's not just about pulling it..it's also about stopping it.
We towed our 22 foot with a half ton Suburban..that was a much lighter trailer, without a slide-out.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter