TSA "FREEZE" Drill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greysword

DIS Veteran
Apparently, the TSA conducts training to "freeze" a checkpoint to prevent movement into and out of an area where a potential threat may have been detected. The training is designed to familiarize the agents with the process; however, it seems they take the "freeze" command a bit more seriously than needed, as the TSA is want to do.

http://blogs.phoenixnewtimes.com/valleyfever/2012/09/tsa_freeze_drill_videod_at_sky.php

I just wanted share, so we are familiar with these drills, in case you are subjected to it. Remember, this is only a drill ;)

Apparently, the TSA conducts training to "freeze" a checkpoint to prevent movement into and out of an area where a potential threat may have been detected. The training is designed to familiarize the agents with the process; however, it seems they take the "freeze" command a bit more seriously than needed, as the TSA is want to do.

http://blogs.phoenixnewtimes.com/valleyfever/2012/09/tsa_freeze_drill_videod_at_sky.php

I just wanted share, so we are familiar with these drills, in case you are subjected to it. Remember, this is only a drill ;)

Only a drill and pax don't have to freeze even though the checkpoint will be closed for the duration of the drill.

I was going through the Atlanta checkpoint when there was a drill. Everyone had to freeze. I reached down to put my shoes back on and got yelled at.

DebbieB said:
I was going through the Atlanta checkpoint when there was a drill. Everyone had to freeze. I reached down to put my shoes back on and got yelled at.

I have never heard of this drill, and while I understand the need to shut down a checkpoint there is no way I am going to stand like a statue, even if I am going to get yelled at. I am going to have to do some research on what the official rules are before I fly again.

Posted from Disboards.com App for Android

I have never heard of this drill, and while I understand the need to shut down a checkpoint there is no way I am going to stand like a statue, even if I am going to get yelled at. I am going to have to do some research on what the official rules are before I fly again.

You don't know it's a drill when it happens, they (the officers) may not either. One of the officers yelled "breach!". Then another one yelled "everyone freeze where you are". Then a couple minutes later one said "all clear" and then announced it was only a drill.

I can't help but laugh at the thought of everyone freezing. It makes me think of the silly scene at the end of Christmas Vacation where everyone is frozen in those ridiculous positions at the Griswolds!

You don't have to completely freeze like a statue, just don't move ahead or reach for something (like I did). It may sound funny but it's actually serious because if there is a breach and they don't catch the person, they have to order everyone out of the terminal and go back through security.

Posted from Disboards.com App for Android

You might want to go here . . .
http://www.infowars.com/bizarre-tsa-freeze-security-drill-caught-on-camera/
and also here . . .
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/checkpoints-borders-policy-debate/1391987-code-bravo-caught-tape.html

I've seen one in BOS... it was right after a checkpoint. I ignored, and continued on my way.

“These drills are generally conducted during off-peak hours to minimize disruption, and generally last a minute,” said Kristin Lee, a spokeswoman for the agency. The agency conducts a range of security exercises, not all of them in public, to train checkpoint officers, she said.

Understood, I said. But still, am I, a citizen, required to stop motionless when the T.S.A. officers yell “freeze”?

Actually, no. The agency has “wide-ranging legal authority to carry out security-related responsibilities,” Ms Lee said. But in these specific drills, she added, “passengers are not required to ‘freeze’ in place like statues.” But if they are within the checkpoint security area, they may be required to remain there until the drill has ended, she said.
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/29/business/29road.html?_r=0

The entire article is worth a read.

Folks, please note the articales being posted are blogs, the NY times, all always wanting to stir up issues where there is no issues, except by a very few who refuse to admit the danger to the public without the TSA rules and procedures.

The drills like averything else happening today is for our protection and a small enough price to pay.

Just recently the US supreme court finally put to bed the law sues about the pay downs and scanners that have be over and over again ruled invalid, by finding it was not worth hearing.

I still say anyone thinking its to much to pay........can try and arrange for and fly on a plane where the passingers have not gone though secruity..........

AKK
AKK

Folks, please note the articales being posted are blogs, the NY times, all always wanting to stir up issues where there is no issues, except by a very few who refuse to admit the danger to the public without the TSA rules and procedures.

The drills like averything else happening today is for our protection and a small enough price to pay.

Just recently the US supreme court finally put to bed the law sues about the pay downs and scanners that have be over and over again ruled invalid, by finding it was not worth hearing.

I still say anyone thinking its to much to pay........can try and arrange for and fly on a plane where the passingers have not gone though secruity..........

AKK
AKK
I posted the thread and the link to the newspaper blog to provide a heads up for our community, should we experience a drill in action.

However, I will say that I disagree with the implied notion (at least as how I read it) that the reports provided are nothing more than an attempt "to stir up issues where there is no issues". It is a fact that TSA agents do apply the rules subjectively, and there is a significant lack of consistency in how things are managed. In addition, there are weekly reports of TSA agents not performing their job properly.

To that end, I am curious if the real reason terrorists have not attempted another action on an aircraft originating from a United States airport is due to the vigilance of the FBI and the flying public as a whole, rather than the presence of the TSA.

Bottom line of the thread, though, is to make our community aware of the Freeze Drill, so if engaged by the TSA, they don't panic.

Bottom line of the thread, though, is to make our community aware of the Freeze Drill, so if engaged by the TSA, they don't panic.

Knowledge is good!

I was like one of the PP. I was caught in a "freeze drill" - only I had no idea what was going on. I was in the middle of taking of my shoe when it happened. So I had to stand there with one shoe on and one shoe off while they conducted the drill. They don't necessarily tell you what happened or that it was a drill, so you're left wondering until you get a chance to Google it later! :rotfl:

I posted the thread and the link to the newspaper blog to provide a heads up for our community, should we experience a drill in action.

However, I will say that I disagree with the implied notion (at least as how I read it) that the reports provided are nothing more than an attempt "to stir up issues where there is no issues". It is a fact that TSA agents do apply the rules subjectively, and there is a significant lack of consistency in how things are managed. In addition, there are weekly reports of TSA agents not performing their job properly.

To that end, I am curious if the real reason terrorists have not attempted another action on an aircraft originating from a United States airport is due to the vigilance of the FBI and the flying public as a whole, rather than the presence of the TSA.

Sorry Greysworld.........I was not clear..........I was refering to the blogs and the NY Times pieces.

No implied at all.....referring to the blogs and the NY Times piece...I said just that...these same folks keep repeating the same things over and over to try and stir issues up.

Yes sometimes things are handling subjectively. When you have a job with so many different things going on, in varyings ways..........sometimes they are handled differently in each case.....nothing unsual there.

I agree its all the agencies, working together that has prevented another plane or planes coming down...........obviously the agencies don't tell us the public what goes on behind the scenes and all the attacks they have prevented qiuetly.

I don't deal with aircraft, but I do deal in Maritime seciurity and know about a good deal of what happens and is not released to the public.

When you have 34,000 people working in a agency.........you are going to now and then have someone not do there job right.......It has not to my knowledge been a weekly thing, as the media loves to jump on the TSA and I only seen a report every month or so, if that. What you don't see is the times the complaints have been dismissed or when the real information has been found......the media and blogs and rags like the NY times never report or discuss that!

Lets remember these folks are trying to do a hard job, with the spot light on them all the time and people making complaints, rude remarks and making judgments with limited and often incorrect information.

Lastly........on the thread and why you posted it, I totally agree with the goal!:thumbsup2

AKK

PP knows full well that DHS & TSA publicize whenever they catch "bad guys" or break up a threat. What DHS & TSA do not like is when members of the general public air examples of the nonsense foisted on us in the name of security. Or when airport security screeners a found committing crimes against passengers.

PP knows full well that DHS & TSA publicize whenever they catch "bad guys" or break up a threat. What DHS & TSA do not like is when members of the general public air examples of the nonsense foisted on us in the name of security. Or when airport security screeners a found committing crimes against passengers.

Fact......no they don't and the logic is simple.....they don't want the bad guys to know what they know. Your lack of any secruity background is shockingly obvious.

Your posted Blogs are not the general public it is a small group is people who just want to start trouble by posting partial truths and flat out lies and off beat opinion, to try an confuss people........is it thier right to...YES......it is right........ NO.

As stated 34,000 emplyees.......yes there will be a few bad people..but the 99.9% of the employess are working hard to do a good job. Your comments do them and the general public harm and they deserve a applogy.

AKK.

Fact......no they don't and the logic is simple.....they don't want the bad guys to know what they know. Your lack of any secruity background is shockingly obvious.
This is an interesting statement. What are your credentials, AKK?

Your posted Blogs are not the general public it is a small group is people who just want to start trouble by posting partial truths and flat out lies and off beat opinion, to try an confuss people........is it thier right to...YES......it is right........ NO.
It seems the NY Times is a little more than an isolated blog who is out to start trouble. Since they are included, as well as other respected publications, in reporting TSA behaviors, I would say these sort of generalized statements fail to make your case, AKK.

As stated 34,000 emplyees.......yes there will be a few bad people..but the 99.9% of the employess are working hard to do a good job. Your comments do them and the general public harm and they deserve a applogy.

AKK.
There are more than a few "bad apples".

Personal note:
I can understand the reason for the "freeze drill", as the TSA has let people through with items that should have been caught, and it is easier to inconvenience those in the area instead of rescreening the whole airport. That said, I think they take it way too seriously. Practice is to ingrain immediate actions, so they are performed without thought, but forcing someone not to "fidget" is just plain silly.

In addition, I have come to realize that the role of the TSA is to provide the appearance of security, with the ancillary benefit of being able to be more vigilant to those security measures required before September 2001. Actually delivering security against terrorist attack would require different processes and procedures, which are well documented and tested in other parts of the world, but are not the focus of the TSA.

There has not been a terrorist attack on an airline originating from the United States since September 2001; however, many of the more draconian requirements have been mandated years after the initial engagement. In addition, these enhanced requirements were not based on any actionable intelligence or imminent threat to airline safety; rather, they were implemented due to actions of terrorists on aircraft, which originated outside of our nation. To that end and based on the lack of evidence suggesting these enhancements and the TSA are at all effective, it stands to reason that we should be relaxing security and instead focusing our money and attention toward those efforts that would be effective in stemming the tide of a future terrorist attack.

These are my thoughts. I don't consider myself anti-security or anti-TSA, but the empirical evidence of the agency's lack of

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter