Trying to plan next year's DL trip and I have a question

It looks like, from the school calendars, the week of June 6 is before a good number of schools let out (particularly LAUSD) but it has several Grad Nights during that week. The week of June 12 only have a couple of Grad Nights but there are more schools, including LAUSD, that are out for the summer.

Where can you see the schedule of Grad Nights?

The SoCal Select AP blockout starts on June 10 and the SoCal AP blockout starts on July 1. While there probably are a decreasing number of SoCal AP holders, there are still some. I would avoid the July 4th weekend just because that is historically a busy period. My family is more of the "stay until close" type too, but if you really want to maximize the number of attractions, being there at rope drop is usually the better option. The crowds do lessen towards closing time on late nights, but the lines at the most popular attractions can still be pretty long (it was not uncommon to see waits of over 45 minutes for things like RSR and Space even at closing).
Yeah, thats the thing, we aren't sure what the balance between people with the new SoCal Select APs and those who still have their old SoCal APs. I picked the week of the 12th because some pass holders will be blocked, there is a minimum number of Grad Nights and there are still some school districts that are still in session (and hopefully those that just got out might not be picking the first week of their vacation for a Disney trip). We will also be mostly going on the weekdays to try to reduce the crowds we deal with as much as we can during an already crowded time. I am still considering going earlier in June but I have heard enough horror stories about Grad Night days to make me cautious about dealing with it. Neither my wife or I are ones to put up with rude teenagers (don't mind usual teenage stuff but I have heard plenty of stories of things like teens cutting in line and telling complainers to "____ off") that I don't want 3/4 of the trip ruined by confrontations and having to get CMs involved. My logic could be completely wrong though. I was told in the past that crowds were awful during spring break and I thought they were fine, while October is supposed to be low crowds and I thought October 2 years ago was pretty crowded (plus the heat wave made it unpleasantly hot (99 degrees and up).

Both weeks are going to be crowded. As far as grad nights, one district may be out, but only a few schools go to each grad night, so if they're scheduled, they'll be attended. I would just prepare for high crowds and pick the week that otherwise works best for flights and timing. Otherwise you're going to end up obsessing over small details and switching things up and then ultimately be disappointed with the crowds. I don't think you'll see the same levels all week and both weeks will probably have 10/10 days and 6 or 7/10 days.

We went early June 2014 and thought it was wonderful. Crowds were fairly low (we usually go to WDW and thought lines were much shorter than we were used to) and weather was great. Grad nights were a little annoying (e.g., some loud teenagers and a couple line jumpers at California Screamin'), but I wouldn't stay away just because of them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter