*Truck and Towing thread........ask your questions here.*

I own a Ram. The power plant is good but the problem with Ram was everything else broke around it. However, I think they have made great improvements over the last decade. The only truck I can say I wouldn't buy is a Ford with a 6.0 diesel so I think that would be 2008 or older? Over the years I've heard stories that either you got a good one or a bad one. I would pick the lemon...

The 7.3 engines were great in my opinion. Had a 2001 several years, took us to Disney the first two trips. After the 7.3 is a dark time for sure. At least until the 6.7, which is what I have now. Really like it.

Dodge had bad rap for a long time. Fantastic engine, but a transmission that wasn't even worth its weight in scrap. Don't hear as much complaining lately so maybe they finally got it figured out.

The 7.3 engines were great in my opinion. Had a 2001 several years, took us to Disney the first two trips. After the 7.3 is a dark time for sure. At least until the 6.7, which is what I have now. Really like it.

Dodge had bad rap for a long time. Fantastic engine, but a transmission that wasn't even worth its weight in scrap. Don't hear as much complaining lately so maybe they finally got it figured out.
6.7 ford is solid. My Ram has the Aisin AS69RC transmission which is the good one. The Chrysler transmission is another story...

I always thought the best combination would be the Cummins with the Allison. That's what I have in the coach, although different from the lighter duty trucks. The Ford 6.7 with the 6 speed works well. I had the first year of the 6.7 and thought it was pretty good. Then I had the 2016 version with 40 more HP and torque and liked it even more. The latest version makes over 1000 lb/ft of torque and should be amazing.

j

Thanks for all the input. We went with the RAM 2500 and so far love it. Now our previous 1500 had a 2" receiver and the 2500 has a 2.5" receiver. Our WD Hitch has a 2" shank and looks like it only comes with a 2". We have the E2 round bar. I bought the reducing sleeve but there is a LOT of wobble and play in the setup which I don't like. Has any one un into this situation and what have you done? I was looking at buying just a shank and found one made by Curt but need to see if the hole pattern lines up.

My last 2 F350s had the big receiver. Had to put adapters in both. The old truck was sold with it in. I couldn't get it out. The last truck I also had the adapter, but I pulled it before I sold. It's sitting in my tool box.

I never noticed any different with the adapter. The last truck it seemed pretty floppy, but I didn't feel it when towing.

j

Yeah I don't notice it much while towing. But I just don't like the way it moves around. The engineer in me wants a solid connection. All that extra movement on the pin can't be good for it.

You might take a look at a hitch immobilizer. They take out the movement and come in different ratings depending on if just for a bike rack up to a weight distributing hitch. Several companies make them. I wasnt sure if you can post a link to a specific company on this site.

You might take a look at a hitch immobilizer. They take out the movement and come in different ratings depending on if just for a bike rack up to a weight distributing hitch. Several companies make them. I wasnt sure if you can post a link to a specific company on this site.
Ditto on the hitch immobilizer. I use one when towing our motorcycle trailer, the bike rack, or the cargo shelf. Makes the ride sooooo much more comfortable. Found ours on Amazon.

I like the one from Blue Ox. It tightens from both directions. Up and down and side to side. They make one part number BX88312 does the 2.5 hitch using a 2" shank. Takes a little more time to set up as 2 u bolts instead of one. I do see a new one from Curt Hitch that you dont need a wrench for that looks like it would be faster to put on and off. But is only a single pull that I may try if I go back to a travel trailer. Curt part number 22320. For my utility trailers I dont mess with it and we have a 5th wheel we camp with now. I know there is some out there that wont work with weight Distribution as not strong enough.

I love my 2015 Ram 2500 Diesel megacab. Under warranty it went through a few converters and sensors on the exhaust system. The dealer said stop using cheaper Blue Def and just buy Mopar dep. Haven't had a problem since. Coming home from Disney one year still under warranty the plastic control box on the outside of the transmission self destructed 3 miles from home on a 2800 mile trip. I've got 135,000 miles on it now and still love it.

Trouble free vehicles are great! So far in the now 6 years of owning my 2012 F350 which I bough CPO from ford, I have had to replace the SYNC control unit and radiator out of pocket. The emissions system I got one SCR sensor and a DEF tank level sensor replaced for free. Both had a Ford TSB on them. I use only boxed DEF if I have to, I get most of mine at the truck stop pumps or the local fleet fuel supplier that has a high volume DEF pump. Usually cost is the the 3ish per gallon which is way less then the 4.55 a gallon you pay for boxed DEF.

Not exactly a "towing" post, but we did a "toad" thing.

The Explorer was getting old and had 110,000 miles. It wasn't worth putting $1200 into it to set it up to flat tow. DW was finally willing to consider something new. She really wanted another Explorer, but 2020 and newer can't be flat towed. She finally looked at the Jeep Grand Cherokees. I had been telling her they were just a Jeep badged Explorer, but she wouldn't listen.
Last week, we drove into the Jeep dealer "to look". There was a 2018 Grand Cherokee with 60,000 miles and it was only a few $thousand less than a new one. An hour later we had a nice shiny new Grand Cherokee. It is a 2022, but the old "WK" body style. That is good since there are plenty of flat tow options for the old chassis and very few for the brand new 2022 "WL".

I won't have it ready to flat tow to GSP in 2 weeks, but probably soon after.

20220330_152802_copy_2304x1296.jpg

j

Looks like I bolted everything on right. Made it the 125 miles to Siloam Springs SP outside Quincy IL.

Pulled in to unhook and it started storming 15 minutes after backing in. The Jeep towed great.

20220513_174755_copy_2304x1296.jpg

Pics of the site and park tomorrow in the other thread.

j

Nice , diesal im guessing, as the camper is big! Nice. Have fun with it.
NOT diesel.
Took on 1 trip about 35 miles away... I didn't have any power issues.. I certainly knew and felt that trailer in tow.... plus <10 mph.. I never felt unsafe... the trucks passing me didn't push me around.. i never got above 60 or 62... It was a fairly easy trip..

Still, It did get me 2nd guessing my tow vehicle.. damn.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter