*Truck and Towing thread........ask your questions here.*

Our 1500 had a V8 with the 3.73 rear. It was rated to tow 10000 if I remember correct and our TT comes in around 7000 or 7500 loaded up.

Yeah I looked at a 1500HD model several years back when i was looking for trucks. Of course the dealer that advertised said they had it on the lot. When I got there, they claimed they could not find it. "bait and switch" in my mind about the dealership. However, the sales guy claimed they had something similar. I test drove it and it was nothing to write home about. I think it had something around a 3.20 or 3.30 rear end with a 5.3 V8. The guy kept telling me how I would get great gas mileage towing or driving around town. The model I was looking at had the 8.0 Vortec with the 4.11 rear. Basically a gas hog with power. If it had been there, I would have bought it if it drove well.

On a fun note, a neighbor came over and asked if I could use my truck to move something in his yard. I said sure. Turns out his add on garage is getting a 10,000 pound lift. He invited me over any time for the use of the lift. When I was dragging a loaded 20 yard dumpster out of the way for him, we were talking about trailering since he knows i have the F 250. I said well the biggest complain really is mileage when towing in the hill country. I know taller gears would make a difference. He said no doubt. He goes once i get he lift installed in another month. Come over and we will talk about tossing in a set of gears for the truck. Interesting thing is this guy literally lives 2 doors down from me. We talk once in awhile. Once my neighbor across the street moved out, he talks to me more often. (They didn't get along so much from my understanding and I found out why afterwards.)

We are new to camping and pulling a trailer. When we purchased our trailer, it was predicated on the truck that we had. It was a 2005 Tundra 2WD 4.6L V-8. It's towing capacity was 7200lbs. When we pulled our new trailer home, I found out real quick that I didn't have enough horsepower even for the 4100lb. dry weight camper. I couldn't maintain 55mph without a serious struggle. So, when we pulled into the driveway, I turned to my wife and said we got to get another truck.

Went looking the following weekend and found a 2015 Chevrolet 2500HD with all the bells and whistles including 4WD. It's a 6.0L, crew cab, 6.5' bed, and 4.10 rear gears. Pulls our camper just fine. 15mpg Hwy. unloaded ... 9mpg Hwy. pulling camper at 68mph with cruise on.

IMAG0093_zpss8ka1iqe.jpg

Nice looking combo.

And there are many of us that have upgraded the truck shortly after getting a new trailer.

j

Nice looking truck!

Thanks for the kudos. When I went truck shopping I was dead set on a 3/4 ton. Reason being is that I am sure the wife will want a larger trailer in a couple of years :-) I really wanted a diesel but the wife said "no diesel ... period". I went to Ford, Dodge, and Chevrolet looking for a nice used 3/4 ton. Found 3 trucks one of which was a diesel. The other 2 were a 2013 Silverado 2500HD and the 2015 Silverado 2500HD that I purchased.

Nice looking combo.

And there are many of us that have upgraded the truck shortly after getting a new trailer.

j
We did that, and then once we got the truck hubby wanted in the first place....we then got a bigger trailer too

We did that, and then once we got the truck hubby wanted in the first place....we then got a bigger trailer too

That was our thought process also. Bought the truck, hoped to upgrade TT to 5er last year. But we ended up moving and well the trailer upgrade will have to wait for a bit now.

Wish I would have listened to him in the first place.....wouldn't have lost money on trade ins......don't tell him I said that
Well my first truck was an F150 and 2 years later I upgraded to an F250. I don't feel I lost any money though. I still had about $10K of positive equity on the trade and I got a better truck (Went from an XLT to a Lariat). My payment only jumped a little bit too.

The sad part is, is that I am still running gas, and I think I'd really rather have Diesel. That's a huge price difference though and I don't really tow enough to offset it.

24 ft hybrid camper V6 SOHC 99 explorer -/ white knuckle driving to FW - great on flat ground. Just put new tires on today at 195K ->upgraded to 3/4 '06 burb 24' tows like dream. wife wants upgrade to '35 coachman freedom express(kids and damn free dog) . Tows ok - You know its back there-> '16 f350 Diesel 6.7 crew w/leer cover same 35'ft - Wow life is good. 5K ft passes are pre warm up to warm up.

Oh yah - since the trucks is the wife's she gets all the accolades. Guys are like that your truck? "of course its mine...."

Yeah, my wife thinks the our truck is HERS, and she likes to drive it EXCEPT when the trailer is attached.
Nope!

My DW won't drive the truck, much less with a trailer on. Too big and too wide, according to her. It's funny, DS was afraid of it too. He has a Miata. It will literally fit in the bed, but he has had to drive an F150 at work and thinks he's ready for the dually. I let him take it last week when his car was broken. He thinks it's great now. I think it's just a matter of time before he rips a fender flare off on something.

j

Peg110 - Maybe we are married to the same lady or they have long lost sisters. Oh BTW - if I am around, w/o trailer I "get" to drive. Like to costco or kids practices. Oh Boyyyy, do I feel honored!!! Don't forget she will even let me - Hang on Boys - drain the fuel water, take the Green Giant in for oil changes and wash, wax AND Vacuum. I have it good!!!

Oh BTW - if I am around, w/o trailer I "get" to drive. Like to costco or kids practices. Oh Boyyyy, do I feel honored!!! Don't forget she will even let me - Hang on Boys - drain the fuel water, take the Green Giant in for oil changes and wash, wax AND Vacuum. I have it good!!!

You better shut up RIGHT NOW with that kind of crazy talk, 5stljayhawks! :mad:

I've kept DW out of MY Suburban's driver seat so far and you sure aren't helping. :sad2: Do you hear me? It's mine, all mine.

Hope she doesn't read this...

Bama Ed

I am a bit better off... I get to drive mine most of the time, only because she doesn't want to have to pay for gas, oil, tires, REGISTRATION (Ugh... almost $200 annually) and the like. Washing and Waxing wouldn't be an issue.... she wouldn't do it either way. :)

Ed, I think my DW doesn't push the issue because she knows I'd make her pay for the Gas. In fact, she prefers to ride in the truck too (She feels much safer especially when traveling) and even around town, if "I" drive, it's my truck and "MY" Gas as opposed to her driving and "Her" gas.:rolleyes: (of course we could go on a whole new thread talking about "Her Gas" but it wouldn't be on the truck/towing thread):lmao:

Well I guess this is where I am supposed to brag about my camper and rig. We just bought a 2017 Coleman 2855BH TT. We were originally just going to buy a hybrid or pop up camper but we found this one with the dry weight under 5500 lbs.
IMG_20170310_193722614.jpg
IMG_20170331_150222444_HDR.jpg

I was originally going to pull this with my 2003 Yukon XL Denali but a trip to the repair shop and the impending doom of the transmission forced my to look around for a different TV. I bought a 2002 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel from a friend for a decent price. It tows this trailer no problem. Of course, I have only towed it to Gulf Shores and back to Fairhope. I am going to add a WDH with sway control before our next trip to the Fort on Memorial day.

DDo5 - aka Mike

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter