Tron Lightcycle Run coming to MK

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm actually glad that the speedway is staying. Not so much for my undying love for the speedway, but rather, I'm impressed with Disney finally deciding to add something new without taking something else away. There has to be motive here, and I suspect that it relates to MK capacity.

I'm not really excited for this Tron ride. Maybe the concept of Tron itself fits well in Tomorrowland, but having watched a POV of the Shanghai ride... it doesn't really feel to me like it fits at all in Magic Kingdom. It's just a roller coaster? Why not put it in Future World? Change my view! :)

I'm not really excited for this Tron ride. Maybe the concept of Tron itself fits well in Tomorrowland, but having watched a POV of the Shanghai ride... it doesn't really feel to me like it fits at all in Magic Kingdom. It's just a roller coaster? Why not put it in Future World? Change my view! :)
Couldn't one say the same about Space Mountain?

I think it would be cool to update the Speedway into a Cars Movie theme. I'm not a fan of the movie, but seems like an easy no brainer in terms of utilizing theming. I'm sure this has been discussed before.

I don't think that would fit Tomorrowland so well - they could annex it to Fantasyland and do that and use the radiator springs rock wall to separate the lands, but obviously they are going in a different direction

either way you get new content for MK. A little more thrill for those that want it. It's an addition without subtraction, which is also a plus :rimshot:.
Selfishly, I'm glad speedway is still in the plan. However I do wonder if the track gets modified some in it's "update".
I think part of the win here is that it will suck up a lot of capacity if done correctly. Mine train's lines might come down to reality.
Given that it's crossing the railroad tracks, there is a lot of space between the tracks and world drive. I think it could have minimal impact on the current park. I think the path from barnstormer to Space mountain could survive is a modified format, creating a roller coaster alley.

Odd they didn't announce anything for replacing Stitch in Tomorrowland considering it now sits idle most of the year and instead announced something that hasn't even had permits filed for yet.

I'm actually glad that the speedway is staying. Not so much for my undying love for the speedway, but rather, I'm impressed with Disney finally deciding to add something new without taking something else away. There has to be motive here, and I suspect that it relates to MK capacity.
Absolutely about capacity but also demographics. Tron doesn't appeal to younger children while the Speedway does. Taking away the Speedway while adding Tron would increase waits across the park, since the kids riding the Speedway are now doing other rides and not Tron.

Rider height is 48 inches in shanghai. Wonder if they could alter it at all shorter for the US version. The POV video I saw of the ride makes it look less intimidating than Space mountain for younger kids. Heck you have to be 52 inches to ride alone on speedway which is a bit lame in my opinion, needs adjusting to 40-42 inches even if a re-do of the vehicle is required.

Rider height is 48 inches in shanghai. Wonder if they could alter it at all shorter for the US version. The POV video I saw of the ride makes it look less intimidating than Space mountain for younger kids. Heck you have to be 52 inches to ride alone on speedway which is a bit lame in my opinion, needs adjusting to 40-42 inches even if a re-do of the vehicle is required.
I can't see them altering for the height requirement.

Odd they didn't announce anything for replacing Stitch in Tomorrowland considering it now sits idle most of the year and instead announced something that hasn't even had permits filed for yet.

I would assume they didn't announce anything with Stitch since it's a smaller attraction. They'll replace it with a smaller attraction. Tron meanwhile is going to be an E ticket with long lines all day. They just wanted to focus on the bigger WOW projects for the presentation.

Absolutely about capacity but also demographics. Tron doesn't appeal to younger children while the Speedway does. Taking away the Speedway while adding Tron would increase waits across the park, since the kids riding the Speedway are now doing other rides and not Tron.

Yep! Already know that my husband and oldest DD will head to Tron while I take the others on Speedway. I have no desire to fly face first at 60 mph around banked turns, 20 + feet in the air! I am very excited for this ride though. 2021 will be amazing.

I cannot wait for Tron but I worry that it will be very congested in that area. The pathway leading past Space Mountain to Tron (between Speedway and Space) is fairly small. Even the concept drawing looks like it'll still be fairly small. I'm just hoping it doesn't turn into a bottleneck like Adventureland in DL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts