Trivia Question on the name of 'ohana 25 yrs ago.....

Henlady

DIS Veteran
25 years ago, there was another restaurant situated where 'Ohana is now located. They did Character breakfasts and possibly dinners. I'm thinking it was called Papatee Bay Verandah, but not positive about that...:confused:

Can anyone else remember the name? Now remember this is 25 years ago...

I ate a character meal there in '93 and am not even remotely close to remembering the name.:confused3 Old age is so frustrating.:headache::rolleyes:

25 years ago, there was another restaurant situated where 'Ohana is now located. They did Character breakfasts and possibly dinners. I'm thinking it was called Papatee Bay Verandah, but not positive about that...:confused:

Can anyone else remember the name? Now remember this is 25 years ago...

I think it was Papeete Bay Veranda. That sounds right to me.

Here's a little excerpt from Tikiman Pages, "the 1970s." This is a wonderful website about the Polynesian Resort.
http://www.tikiman2001.net/tiki/polynesian-history

"When it opened the original shops included the Polynesian Princess, Robinson Crusoe, Esq., Trader Jack's Grog Hut and Village Gifts and Sundries. There was 6 miles of bamboo used on the Polynesian. The orignial baby sitting service was the Mouseketeer Club."

"Along with the shops the Pepeete Bay Varandah, South Seas Room and Tambu Lounge opened along with the resort and to this day the Tambu Lounge has had no major changes since the opening day. The Luau also opened with the resort but was served on the beach since Luau Cove did not exist."

Papeete Bay Verandah . . .
1) Breakfast and luncheon buffets.
2) The home of Minnie's Menehune Breakfast.
3) Also, it had a Polynesian Revue (separate from the Luau.)
4) The Verandah closed in 9/94 and reopened the following year as 'Ohana.

If memory serves correctly, they had a really good Sunday brunch buffet.

Oh my lord I ate there on my first trip in 1991... I still remeber the cinnamon crusted french toast they had there it was the best thing I had ever eaten!!!:goodvibes:lovestruc:goodvibes

Thanks everyone for helping to refresh my memory. We attended the character breakfast there for my son's 5th birthday (back in 1986), then went to the Magic Kingdom for the day. DS turns 30 in November, and we are flying him and his DFiance down to meet us after our cruise for his birthday and we'll spend that day in MK and ending up at 'Ohana (which happens to be one of his favorites). I have a little letter drawn up to announce his birthday present and wanted to include that 5th birthday info in it. I knew I could count on the Dis members to help with my lack of memory!!:goodvibes

One of my finest memories from my Poly stay in 78 (9 years old) was having melon balls in coconut milk, I think in the South Seas Room. The other really stand out memory was being allowed to ride the monorail (just ride, not get off) by myself! :scared1:

if i recall...wasnt there also a restaurant that wasn't located in the great ceremonial house? I'm thinking it was near where the arcade used to be....

if i recall...wasnt there also a restaurant that wasn't located in the great ceremonial house? I'm thinking it was near where the arcade used to be....

Yep, Tangaroa Terrace was in the same building as the arcade near Tokelau (then Ohau).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter