Trip Report! DIS Exclusive Knights & Lights/Disneyland Paris, Part 5 - LOTS OF PICS!

sayhello

Have Camera, Will Travel
Day 3 - More London! (St. Paul's Cathedral, the Tower of London)

OK, I'm going to apologize again. I cannot believe how much time I let slip by between updates! My one and only Resolution for 2012 is to get the rest of this Trip Report posted as quickly as possible!

Our 3rd day started early, with the buffet breakfast at the Hotel, followed by a brief motorcoach trip to St. Paul's Cathedral. We did not go inside St. Paul's (I suppose it's a timing thing, but I really wish they did go in). But we walked around the outside while our step-on Guide Steven explained to us the history of St. Paul's.

P1060236.jpg

We had yet another gorgeous morning, and took tons of photos, while listening to Steven explain about St. Paul's, including how it survived the bombing of the Blitz, while buildings right next door were pretty much destroyed.

P1060239.jpg

P1060241.jpg

You can see the more "modern" building behind this tower, which was all that was left of this building right next to St. Paul's after the Blitz.

P1060243.jpg

P1060246.jpg

If it looks familiar, apparently St. Paul's in a similar style to the US Capitol building, but with different stone and on a different scale.

P1060244.jpg

Impressive!

P1060251.jpg

I'm not sure why this Call Box was black. I seem to remember that Adam told me, but I don't recall his answer. Bad Sayhello!!!

P1060253.jpg

It was just such a beautiful day, and an impressive building, we kept taking pictures as we walked along & saw a new perspective! I'd thought it lovely when I was there during my pre-days in gloomy weather, but it was even more spectacular with blue skies & sunshine!

P1060256.jpg

P1060254.jpg

P1060258.jpg

A memorial erected across the street from St. Paul's.

P1060260.jpg

P1060262.jpg

We then made our way to the Millenium Bridge. Some folks, again, were kind of hesitant to go out on this unusual bridge, but everyone went, and it seemed everyone was ultimately OK with it. We got some great pictures taken, then headed back to our motorcoach.

P1060263.jpg

P1060266.jpg

P1060279.jpg

Gotta love Pub names!

P1060280.jpg

Our next stop was the Tower of London!

P1060283.jpg

They had a lot of these wire animal sculptures around the Tower, to represent the animals that used to be kept there.

P1060294.jpg

An interesting juxtaposition of the Old and the New.

P1060296.jpg

Tower Bridge!

P1060300.jpg

P1060307.jpg

P1060309.jpg

Traitors' Gate. How some people entered the Tower. Not the way you wanted to get there!

P1060316.jpg

Continued in next post.

The White Tower within the Tower of London.

P1060321.jpg

The Tower of London is actually a large, enclosed compound, not just a Tower. A lot of people lived there, and still do. (At this point, I think it's mostly the people who work there and their families). It was the seat of Power before Buckingham Palace was built.

P1060324.jpg

Steven accompanied us to the Tower of London, since, as a Blue Badge Tour Guide, he was allowed to give tours in the Tower. (The only other option is the mass tours given by the Beefeaters there.) Steven was fabulous. Lots of people not on our ABD stopped and listened to him, also, as he gave such fascinating descriptions of the people and happenings surrounding the Tower (including Henry VIII, and some of his wives - a few of which were beheaded there -- and the 2 young princes who mysteriously disappeared there).

P1060325.jpg

The building that houses the Crown Jewels.

P1060333.jpg

The Guard in front of that building!

P1060344.jpg

We then went in to see the Crown Jewels. Yes, no pictures again! The Crown Jewels are mightily impressive! Just amazing. Glittering, bejeweled, incredible pieces that are probably quite literally priceless! They also had a room full of serving ware (tureens, things of that nature) that were solid gold, and other such things. One of the funny things that Kevin noted was that, with all this amazing wealth being displayed there, as you exited the building, through the Gift Shop, there was a box asking for donations for the upkeep of the display of the jewels. Just seems a little crazy!

Some of the group with a Traditional Beefeater, the Yeoman Warders of the Tower of London.

P1060856.jpg

This is a memorial to those executed in the Tower of London, with 10 people specifically named around the perimeter. Several of them were Henry the VIII's wives, or people associated with them. We stood around this memorial as Steven filled us in on the fascinating circumstances of a lot of those beheadings.

P1060358.jpg

This raven had just stolen this piece of sweet roll from a person who was eating it! It seemed pretty pleased with itself, and, according to Steven, this was a pretty common occurrence. The ravens have been there for a long, long time, and are given free rein in the Tower, as there is a superstition that if the ravens leave, the tower will fall.

P1060364.jpg

After this, we had some free time to explore the Tower. I checked out the Bloody Tower, and just did some wandering around, looking at the various buildings.

The Bloody Tower. This is reportedly where the 2 young princes disappeared from.

P1060366.jpg

P1060368.jpg

Parts of the Bloody Tower were very steep & narrow.

P1060372.jpg

Some more wire animal sculptures on one of the walls of the Tower. They were surprisingly realistic.

P1060378.jpg

We were given a time & a place to meet up, to then return to the motorcoach. When I got there, there were these 2 very attractive young ladies over by Kevin and John. It turns out they were Podcast listeners, who saw that we would be at the Tower that day, and tracked them down. Landon and Adam apparently were a bit surprised that folks on their tour had Groupies!

P1060381.jpg

As we walked back to the motorcoach, I had a conversation with Steven about my plans at that point. We had time on our own for the rest of the day and I think most folks were going back to the hotel for a DISUnplugged Brit meet. I had lunch plans with the friend I'd lunched with in Westminster; she'd set up a lunch with several ladies I knew from my Lord of the Rings fandom days. The restaurant (Cote) was just the other side of the Thames from the Tower. I wasn't sure about catching a taxi, as there was a Bike race through the streets of London that day, and a lot of traffic had been re-routed around the route, part of which went right by the Tower. Steven worked it out with the motorcoach driver to drop me off at the base of the London Bridge, which I would then just need to walk across, and then walk less than a block to the Restaurant where I was meeting the ladies for lunch. It worked out quite lovely! I enjoyed crossing London Bridge, and the threatening rain did not start until I was just a couple of buildings away from the Mall that housed Cote. (And I did have an umbrella with me, so I was just fine!)

P1060385.jpg

P1060386.jpg

It was a *lovely* lunch, that extended into wine at a nearby pub. Great conversation, and such a fun time catching up with everyone! What a marvelous way to spend an afternoon! (Thanks, Jo!) And the rain obligingly stopped while we were dining, and did not return. I was sorry that I'd missed the meet with the British Podcast fans, but I wouldn't have missed this lunch for the world!

P1060387.jpg

After my wonderful lunch, it was time to head back to the hotel, and get ready for the next "event"! One of the folks on the ABD, Frank, had generously done the legwork to get a group of us dinner reservations for that night at one of Chef Gordon Ramsay's more casual restaurants, Foxtrot Oscar. We met in the lobby, and took a series of taxis to the restaurant. It was much farther than it seemed, and the traffic was horrid. I was riding with Frank & Cathy, among others, and we were the last to arrive, after what seemed like FOREVER. The private diningroom was downstairs in the basement. It was *definitely* casual, but very nice!

P1060389.jpg

P1060390.jpg

P1060391.jpg

P1060392.jpg

We had pre-ordered our meals, and I believe most of us went with Gordon Ramsay's take on the Traditional Sunday Roast. The food was excellent!

P1060396.jpg

The roast beef with yorkshire pudding and carrots was very delicious. And I seem to remember that the potatoes in duck fat were amazing (as well they should be!)

P1060398.jpg

But somehow, it seemed the favorite part of the dinner was the cheesy cauliflower! It was just a real, new-fangled take on an old-fashioned comfort food, and totally Yummy.

P1060399.jpg

Oh, my goodness! Was it delicious. And they ended up bringing us an extra dish of it to keep us from fighting over it! ;-)

There were some communication issues between the folks Frank had made the reservations with, and the folks actually at the restaurant, but most of it got worked out in the end.

The meal was lovely, and loads of fun. As things were winding down, a group of us had to catch taxis, as we'd made arrangements for another activity for that night. Several of us had managed to obtain tickets for the "Ceremony of the Keys" at the Tower of London. Closing up the Tower for the night has been an elaborate, tradition-driven event for hundreds of years, and has occurred every night, without fail, for the last 700 years. It was only late once, and that was because there was an air raid at the time, and they had to delay it. Apparently a letter was sent to the King, apologizing for that! :-) Tickets are free, but you must request them pretty far in advance, as only a limited number of people are allowed in each night.

So we piled into two Town Cars that Foxtrot Oscar had called for us. We drove way across town, but had left ourselves plenty of time to get there before it started. Late comers are not given admittance. So after a few turn-arounds, the drivers dropped us off in an area that appeared to be below the Tower (when we'd arrived there earlier in the day, we'd had to hoof it to the Tower from an area below it.) The drivers only charged us £25 per car, which seemed extremely reasonable. We should have suspected when they pretty much grabbed the cash and ran.

As we headed towards the staircase we could see, we realized that we were, in fact, nowhere near where we had asked to be taken! :scared1: Instead of being taken to the Tower of London, they had dropped us off near Tower Bridge, about as far away from the Tower as we could be, and still be by the Bridge and on this side of the Thames. After several false starts, we realized what we needed to do was take the stairs up to the Bridge, dodge traffic to run across the lanes of the Bridge, follow it all the way down to the end of the Bridge, and then somehow get over to the Tower. As we got closer, it became painfully obvious that we were going to have to walk practically the full perimeter of the Tower to get to the entrance we needed to get to. Our "very early" arrival turned into "The chances of us making it there are slim to none". But we'd been waiting for this, and anticipating it for so long; I don't think any of us were willing to give up at that point without giving it the old college try.

Here's a map to help you visualize just how far we needed to run. And this was without knowing just exactly how far we *were* going to need to run. We just went for it! (The black star would be where they left us, the red arrow where we needed to be.)

OurRacetotheTowermap.png

Heather managed to get way out in the front. As we were rounding the last corner, we could see that they were starting to let the people into the Tower. I yelled as loudly as I could "Hey! Wait!!!!!" It would be awful to have gone all that way, and missed it by just that much. We saw Heather make the line before the last person was in, so at that point, I was pretty hopeful that, against all odds, we'd actually made it!!!

Everyone caught up, and as we filed through the Gate, we handed the Beefeater our tickets. He stopped when he got to me, stared at the ticket, and said "This ticket is for tomorrow!" Before I could tell him "I don't care what day the ticket is for, you're frickin' letting me in here tonight!" he started laughing. That was his little joke. (I honestly think if he knew what we'd just been through, he would not have made the joke. I'm sure they have late people all the time, but I doubt that most of them went through what we did!) I let everyone have a good laugh, and we were let in.

The Ceremony of the Keys itself was really wonderful, steeped in tradition and very strict and exacting rules. At this point, although people do still live there, and the Crown Jewels are still housed there, it's pretty much just ceremonial, as they have to unlock it again to let us out! But I was glad we'd gone, and glad we'd actually made it in. I highly recommend it to anyone looking for a whimsical way to experience a bit of history for themselves. But take a TAXI, not a town car!!!! (Frank did complain to Foxtrot Oscar about it, but who knows if anything ever came of it!)

We then had a whole 'nother adventure trying to find taxis to take us back to the hotel afterwards, as the normal taxi stand area was in the area blocked off for the bicycle race. We walked up to the main road, but there was really no place there for a cab to stop. Eventually, we all did manage to find our ways back to the hotel, but it was one heck of a Last Night in London! (Yes, the next day, we were off to Paris!!!)

Once I got back to the hotel, I thought that was the end of my adventures for the day. But I was sadly mistaken! I was up pretty late, getting as much packed as I could so that I'd have my bags ready for pickup the next morning. After I was all done, and went to get ready for bed, I found that the toilet in my room had stopped working. Literally, just stopped. When I hit the flush, nothing happened. So I called down to the main desk, and was informed that the guy who took care of that kind of thing had left for the day!!! They had *NO ONE*, in this fabulous, high-end hotel, who could fix a dead toilet!! I was, as you may imagine, not amused! They offered to move me to another room. I said a very emphatic no to this (I'm *leaving* in the morning! I don't want to move to another room just to check out the next morning! PLUS, ABD expected my luggage to be in *this* room the next morning.) There was no way I was moving. I had visions of Kathy & Teresa's lost luggage from their Backstage Magic trip. I did learn from their misfortune!

So the best they could do for me is give me the key to another room, down the hall, through another door, around the corner, so I could use the bathroom there. It was not an ideal situation; I didn't like walking that far in the middle of the night, but what choice did I have? It was kind of a sad ending to a stay in an otherwise spectacular hotel. I just can't believe "he went home for the day, and we have no-one else". Ridiculous.

But tomorrow... PARIS!

Continued in Part 6.-- On to Paris!

Last edited:
What fabulous photos and what great stories, sayhello! So glad you made it to the Ceremony of the Keys on time. Whew!
How far in advance did you order your tickets? I'm wondering if I could still get tickets for July.
I'm looking forward to more :flower3:

What fabulous photos and what great stories, sayhello! So glad you made it to the Ceremony of the Keys on time. Whew!
How far in advance did you order your tickets? I'm wondering if I could still get tickets for July.
I'm looking forward to more :flower3:
Thanks, Cotillard. :) I'm glad you enjoyed them. I would definitely check out the Ceremony of the Keys. I ordered my tickets in May for a September date, so that's only 4 months. Now July is probably more popular than September, so I wouldn't wait too long.

Here's the link with all the information on how to order the tickets:

http://www.hrp.org.uk/TowerOfLondon/WhatsOn/ceremonyofthekeys

You have to jump through a couple of hoops, but I thought it was worth it.

Sayhello

Another great report. I'm sure glad you didn't say what you wanted to say to the guy who made the joke to you after your excursion...:thumbsup2

Looking forward to reading and seeing Paris! You've got me really interested in seeing London now and I've always been wanting to see Paris.

Another great report. I'm sure glad you didn't say what you wanted to say to the guy who made the joke to you after your excursion...:thumbsup2

Looking forward to reading and seeing Paris! You've got me really interested in seeing London now and I've always been wanting to see Paris.
Thanks, Diskidatheart! :) I'm glad I didn't *need* to say it! :goodvibes

I really, really am going to try to get the rest of this report up *REALLY* soon!

Sayhello

Keep plugging away and I'll keep reading! At least there's no cliff hangers! :goodvibes I wish they would add the interior of St. Pauls to the trip too. Something to remember for next time I guess.

You know, if you don't have any plans, I hear Italy is really nice in October! ;)

Keep plugging away and I'll keep reading! At least there's no cliff hangers! :goodvibes I wish they would add the interior of St. Pauls to the trip too. Something to remember for next time I guess.

You know, if you don't have any plans, I hear Italy is really nice in October! ;)
Thanks, Lauren! Definitely check out St. Paul's. Breathtaking!

October? Or do you mean May? :)

Sayhello

Thanks again for sharing, sayhello! Never mind if you are behind posting, amazing photos and a wonderful account which is written exceptionally well. I can imagine the time you need to invest to get the daily account posted. It is always a joy to read!

How do you post such tiny photos? The ones I did were huge.

Thanks again for sharing, sayhello! Never mind if you are behind posting, amazing photos and a wonderful account which is written exceptionally well. I can imagine the time you need to invest to get the daily account posted. It is always a joy to read!

How do you post such tiny photos? The ones I did were huge.
Thanks, tufbuf! :goodvibes It *is* time consuming, but I want to finish it before people lose interest (or I go on my next trip!)

I use photobucket to host the pictures I post. When you go to the Upload screen, there's a link at the bottom to set the upload options. I have Photobucket automatically resize the pictures to 640 x 480 when I upload them. It seems to be a good size, large enough to see the details, but not too big to display on different screens, or overwhelm someone's display. No-one has ever complained about the size, so I assumed it was an OK choice (there are several different sizes you can choose).

Sayhello

I think the photo size is perfect. I'll take note of the upload if I do post in the future.

I chuckled a bit when you said that some people were hesistant at crossing the Millenium Bridge. Perhaps they thought the dementors from Harry Potter would get them? :rotfl2: I love that area of London. We've walked from Westminster to the Millenium Bridge. The Globe Theatre is right there too. Walking along the embankment is a nice way to spend a morning. <sigh> I must return soon.

I chuckled a bit when you said that some people were hesistant at crossing the Millenium Bridge. Perhaps they thought the dementors from Harry Potter would get them? :rotfl2: I love that area of London. We've walked from Westminster to the Millenium Bridge. The Globe Theatre is right there too. Walking along the embankment is a nice way to spend a morning. <sigh> I must return soon.
Honestly? I think Harry Potter *did* have a lot to do with it! Plus a couple of them had heard that it was unstable (it was when it was first built, but it's totally stable now). It certainly doesn't *look* unstable! I love that bridge!

That's quite a hike from Westminster to the Millenium Bridge, but I can see it being a nice walk! Did you do the South Bank or the North Bank? I need to go back again, too! <double sigh>

Sayhello

Honestly? I think Harry Potter *did* have a lot to do with it! Plus a couple of them had heard that it was unstable (it was when it was first built, but it's totally stable now). It certainly doesn't *look* unstable! I love that bridge!

That's quite a hike from Westminster to the Millenium Bridge, but I can see it being a nice walk! Did you do the South Bank or the North Bank? I need to go back again, too! <double sigh>

Sayhello

South Bank ... We actually walked from Trafalgar Square, down Whitehall to Westminster to the London Eye and then along the South Bank to the Millenium Bridge, had lunch at the bistro at the Globe and then took a Thames cruise/boat thingy back to Westminster.

Hello this is my first post in this part of the forum! Enjoyed reading your report so far I'd love to do an ABD trip myself one day. Can't wait to hear about your experience at DLP. I live in the UK, and I've been to DLP a few times so it will be interesting to see a different perspective.

South Bank ... We actually walked from Trafalgar Square, down Whitehall to Westminster to the London Eye and then along the South Bank to the Millenium Bridge, had lunch at the bistro at the Globe and then took a Thames cruise/boat thingy back to Westminster.
Wow! That sounds like some walk! (And was it the Thames Clipper? :) )

Hello this is my first post in this part of the forum! Enjoyed reading your report so far I'd love to do an ABD trip myself one day. Can't wait to hear about your experience at DLP. I live in the UK, and I've been to DLP a few times so it will be interesting to see a different perspective.
Hello, Twinkbelle, and welcome to the Adventures by Disney Forum!

I'm glad you're enjoying my Trip Report! I'm hoping to have the rest of it up in the not-too-distant-future! :thumbsup2

I think you should come to the US, and do the Southwest Splendors ABD! See the USA! :woohoo:

Sayhello

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter