Trip Report 4/4 - 4/8/03 Day 4

lulubelle

The "twisty" part of the 60 is called the Badlands
Monday: 4/7/03
Well, the local news station says the tempurature is going to reach 87 degrees today - yikes! That is very warm for a park commando day. We get up and have breakfast in the room and are in line to ride the monorail to DL at the usual 9:30. My DH says "I wonder if we will get the purple monorail or orange today", and I say "Honey, address them by their proper name: Monorail Purple or Monorail Orange", he rolls his eyes but in the future calls them that way. Ha! We started in Adventure land at Indy and worked all around the park. The crowds were what I would call medium today. With FP and good timing, we didn't encounter anything over a 15 minute wait. Space Mountain was down in the morn but later in the day it opened and we rode it. I feel lucky now - knowing it closed the next day and will be down for about 2 years - even thou there was no music, it was a great ride. We had lunch at the Hungry Bear Restaurant and the BBQ Chix salad was delicious (it had black beans, corn, tomatoes and of course BBQ chicken chunks). DH had a burger and I should have warned him, it was awful, I forgot that although there are several yummy things to eat at DL, a good burger is not to be found. Pooh was open! We waited about 10 minutes and rode it after lunch (waiting for our Splash Mtn FP time to come up). I thought it was very cute but my DH summed it up pretty well. He said "Why all the hype over a 60's technology ride? They didn't even use life like characters anywhere, it could be any 40 year old Fantasyland ride". The "honey pots" you ride in and the que are neat. Again, cute, but nothing spectacular. At one point around 3 pm we were eating ice cream sandwiches and Mickey Bars sitting in the shade (it was HOT) figuring out what attractions we still wanted to hit. We had decided to pass on the Bobsleds cause everytime we went by the line was super long and they do not offer FP. Well, DH noticed there was no line and some folks told us it was shut down for the past few hours and low and behold just as we are passing by DH yells, "hurry, hurry - the Matterhorn is up and running and there is no line!". It's true, it's true! We basically wait 5 minutes and what a fun ride it is. Around 6 pm we have done 16 rides/attractions and are pooped. We have 7:30 ressies at Hook's Point so head back to the hotel to rest and get ready for dinner. Once back, we walk around the pool (it is packed on this hot day) and check out the remote control boats. We played a round, it was fun, but by the time I figured out how to actually control them, the 2 1/2 minutes was up and it was over. We go to Hook's Point, ask for a pool view table and order our meals. This was by far the best dining experience we have ever had at any Disney facility. I had a Iron Steak with jumbo prawns, DH has the NY steak - all mesquite grilled with unique and wonderful sauces. It was topped with grilled asparagus, I cannot tell you how much we enjoyed our meal there. DD had a seafood pasta dish that was equally yummy. Oh, and DH & I had a bottle of Mondavi Cabernet Sav. The service was excellent and it was a wonderful experience:)
After that we walked around our hotel grounds, enjoying the waterfalls and tropical ambiance. Back to the room and boy did we hit the pillows quickly. Lights were out and all was quiet before 10 pm! Tomorrow is our last day, back to DCA. We're having soooo much fun:Pinkbounc :bounce: :Pinkbounc

Great reports, we too were hoping to go back to WDW but do to stock prices are heading back to DL/DCA end of May. Did you have the unlimited FP? Also we love R Mondavi cab. but not his coastal,can I ask what the cost was there. I app. the report on Hooks Point we were looking for a good restaurant we are brining our 22 yr. DD and our 13yr DD. They enjoy nice restaurants. Could you please explain how you think we should manuiver for good seats at Aladdin?Also were you joking about space being closed now for 2 yrs? I hope so. We agree with you on the pooh ride thry need more R&R or TOT at DL. Thanks for the reports. Good idea about brining adult drinks from home.

Lisa

Hi Lisa,
In response to your questions, no, we did not have unlimited FP, but on weekdays didn't need it. Saturday was the only crazy day with mobs of people. Our Robert Mondavi Cab was $29 for the bottle, it was "featured" - advertised on its own table card. I don't know if it was Coastal or not (sorry) but it was enjoyed! We all really loved Hooks, but if you don't like the mesquite grilled flavoring on your foods, you won't think much of it. Our total bill was around $120 with tip, but good meals on vacation usually run at least $100 for the three of us. The service was really wonderful, and that always helps. As far as good seats at Aladdin...arrive early. We got there only 1/2 hour before showtime and were pretty far back in line. I would go for the Mezzanine (middle) section, even if you are not up front. The theater is huge and the line moves quickly. Again, I love WDW but truly, truly enjoyed this vacation at DL/DCA. Have a great time in May, weather and crowd wise it should be perfect:)
Lulubelle:)

Oh, I almost forgot - regarding Space Mtn, I read on Laughing Place that it is closed until the 50th celebration in 2005 - they have several CM's who post there and I believe a lot of what I read. Maybe I am naive??? Webmaster Michelle or someone else, have you heard if it is true that it is closed for that long???

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter