Trip Insurance! Tips and Guidance appreciated.

KirbyKlopper

Earning My Ears
Hello all!
My Family (me, wife and 2yo Daughter) will be spending 2 days at WDW and cruising on DCL for 4 nights in January.

We purchased the trip insurance for the cruise through Disney. But wanted to know if more people buy trip insurance from 3rd parties or Disney. Why or why not?

Any experiences or helpful info would be great.

Door-to-door coverage when purchasing through a 3rd party, plus it's usually less expensive -- even when including the additional plans.

Anyone have experience with Zurich insurance? They're Costco's 3rd party (anything Costco I assume is good😆)

We used Disney Cruise insurance for our last scheduled cruise which was May 2022. We had to cancel while in the penalty period. We received a 50% refund from Disney and needed to file a claim with the cruise insurance for the other 50%. The claim process was very easy since we were able to complete all the information online and upload any required documents. I made sure that we followed the instructions to the letter. We received our refund from the insurance company within two weeks along with a thank you for submitting all necessary documents.

I found the insurance company easy to contact with questions also the insurance company told me that they actually can see the reservation and works closely with DCL in regards to the costs of the trip and who should be paying what amount.

I liked how the insurance company was able to work directly with Disney. I believe that helped keep things less complicated. In regards to price I can only say to shop around if price is a major factor. We are DVC members and for an upcoming cruise we split the costs between points and cash. The points are covered by DVC insurance and the cash portion for this particular cruise was not so we needed third party insurance. to cover the 2 travelers paid for in cash. In our case we stayed with Travelex (the DVC insurance provider) because it covered cancelation for COVID which not all travel insurance did. Both the third party insurance for the upcoming cruise and the DCL insurance were for 2 people. In comparison the 3 party (Travelex) was about $25 more but some of the limits on the Travelex third party insurance was higher.

All said I would still use DCL insurance if available. I am not sure but if you use DCL insurance and need to cancel there is also a credit for a future cruise through DCL for any portion of the cruise that is not covered by refund or insurance. I do not know if the cancel for any reason credit through DCL applies if using third party insurance.

I always look on insure my trip and compare policies. In 9 cruises only had to use it once when we were denied boarding this past February. Submitted my claim and they covered extra hotel and food for the days we were stuck in FL.

If I was using flights I'd probably use an "all in one" so flight delays, baggage, etc is all covered. However, we are driving so I've reasoned that I don't need everything in an all in one so I am placing to have two products.

First, I'm looking at medical insurance coverage when out of the country through GeoBlue. My understanding is that it's secondary insurance but that they'd pay a bill and submit a claim to my primary (which would then be denied and GeoBlue would assume responsibility, but this can be a headache for secondary insurance putting more on the patient, and this is one reason primary medical travel insurance is a good idea if all else is equal). My understanding is that this would cover emergency transport like medivac helicopter

Second, I've looked at a cheap no frills insurance to cover travel interruption and travel cancelation due to stuff like, an illness or death in family (elderly parents), lost job, hurricane, etc.

I don't need loss and delay insurance so for me unbundling and separate plans looks cheaper for the coverage I actually want.

Best tip is to figure out what you want covered. Do you need preexisting existing coverage? Pre-existing condition coverage usually begins when making the first trip payment so not necessarily paid in full date so you may or may not be eligible for the pre-existing condition (usually plans say uncovered unless meeting waiver requirements, rather than affirming coverage). Want primary medical or play with secondary? How much medical coverage do you want? (We looked for minimum $100k but some want more or are okay with less). How much medical evacuation insurance do you want? Want "cancel for any reason"? If there a delay how much daily insurance do you want vs. could you stomach and pay yourself?

So after you've thought about what you want, use squaremouth.com and/or insuremytrip.com to compare. Use the filters on the websites and it'll spit out stuff that meets your requirements.

The Costco option will not be in there but you can compare coverages pretty easily.

ETA: mods, apparently one of the websites is blocked out. Sorry about that.

Hello all!
My Family (me, wife and 2yo Daughter) will be spending 2 days at WDW and cruising on DCL for 4 nights in January.

We purchased the trip insurance for the cruise through Disney. But wanted to know if more people buy trip insurance from 3rd parties or Disney. Why or why not?

We only buy medical/evacuation coverage now. But, when we bought full coverage (trip cancellation/delay, lost luggage, etc.). we purchased via a 3rd party.

As noted, it's usually cheaper and covers more than the cruise line insurance.

DCL coverage only covers whatever was purchased through DCL. If you book your own flights, or hotels pre/post cruise, those are not covered.

Whichever kind you get, it’s a good idea to check what kind of coverage you get from your credit card. Some offer trip delay, lost luggage, cancellation, etc coverage. May save some $$ if you don't need some of that on your other insurance.

We purchase Allianz insurance. It’s way cheaper than DCL—I think it’s about 250 for our next Disney cruise and includes travel to and from the port instead of just the cruise portion. The plan we get covers pre-existing medical conditions (as long as it’s purchased within 2 weeks of your first trip payment). We did file a claim on a trip this year and it was very easy to recoup our losses (they weren’t much $$ so I am not sure if a larger $$ claim would be more complicated).

Hello all!

Hello: I bought trip insurance thru Disney especially because it was in September and we were worried about the weather. I CAN TELL YOU FOR A FACT THAT THE DISNEY INSURANCE IS A SCAM!! THEY SHUT DOWN DISNEY DUE TO THE HURRICANE, ON THE WEDNESDAY AND THURSDAY THAT WE HAD ALREADY BOUGHT TICKETS FOR (9/28/2022) AND THEY WILL NOT REIMBURSE US FOR THE TICKETS!!! DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY ON INSURANCE. THEY WILL FIND SOME LOOP HOLE TO GET OUT OF PAYING YOU!!!

We only buy medical/evacuation coverage now. But, when we bought full coverage (trip cancellation/delay, lost luggage, etc.). we purchased via a 3rd party.

As noted, it's usually cheaper and covers more than the cruise line insurance.

DCL coverage only covers whatever was purchased through DCL. If you book your own flights, or hotels pre/post cruise, those are not covered.
DISNEY INSURANCE DOES NOT COVER ANY TICKETS THAT YOU BOUGHT EITHER. NOT WORTH IT!

Due to the number of trips we took this year, I purchased an annual policy. Cost was about the same as purchasing insurance for 2 DCL cruises, but it also covered trips to visit family. I will say that during hurricane Ian, I was totally relaxed knowing we had pre-cruise plans covered. Fortunately, I was able to get refunds for everything and didn’t have to submit a claim.

DISNEY INSURANCE DOES NOT COVER ANY TICKETS THAT YOU BOUGHT EITHER. NOT WORTH IT!
This thread is about insurance for DCL cruises. As I stated, anything that you did not purchase through DCL will not be covered by DCL insurance.

It's a good idea to read through the exemptions when purchasing insurance through any party before buying.

I looked up cruise insurance on google and went to a site that was almost like priceline for cruise insurance. From there I picked a policy from a reputable company that had the coverage I felt was adequate. Was quite impressed with the number of choices and felt being able to shop around made me feel better about finding a policy that suits my budget instead of being shoehorned into whatever Disney charges.

The DCL insurance is Arch insurance.
Arch is the company that my travel agent uses but I can specify how much coverage I want (cost of full trip) + dates of coverage.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter