Traveling with very large aunt to Disney world

Amillerberry

Earning My Ears
Hi everyone!

That you for hosting such an awesome site and forum! This has been incredibly useful! My aunt, myself, and my 18 month old are going to Disney world in October for a wedding. My aunt is very large (600 pounds). We have recently gotten her a manual wheelchair to aid with her mobility (she also has COPD and walking most distances is really difficult for her). It is a very large wheelchair but as it is manual we are looking to hire someone to push her for the wedding (I’m in the wedding so I can’t) and for the one day she will be going to the parks (I’ll be mostly wrangling with the 18 month old). Any suggestions of places to hire someone or of places to find higher weight capacity scooter/electronic wheelchairs? Thanks!

Hi everyone!

That you for hosting such an awesome site and forum! This has been incredibly useful! My aunt, myself, and my 18 month old are going to Disney world in October for a wedding. My aunt is very large (600 pounds). We have recently gotten her a manual wheelchair to aid with her mobility (she also has COPD and walking most distances is really difficult for her). It is a very large wheelchair but as it is manual we are looking to hire someone to push her for the wedding (I’m in the wedding so I can’t) and for the one day she will be going to the parks (I’ll be mostly wrangling with the 18 month old). Any suggestions of places to hire someone or of places to find higher weight capacity scooter/electronic wheelchairs? Thanks!

Hi! :welcome:

I checked every vendor I could think of - and Google could find! - and the highest weight limit I found on a scooter was 500 pounds. It would be awesome if she could use a scooter - if only because it would give her freedom to do what she wanted, and go where she wanted.

I'm not really sure where to point you to hire someone to push her - my first thought was a nursing/care service, but I don't know if that is quite appropriate?

For the price you might pay to have someone push her for two days + their park ticket, I might consider something like a handcycle, or a power-assist device as an add on to her chair, which might allow her to get around on her own?

Be warned - Disney does have a size limit on mobility devices (for ride/attraction queues, as well as buses; most everything at WDW is designed with this sized equipment in mind) of 36 wide x 52 long. You may want to measure her chair (opened) to insure that it will fit within those guidelines for the best possible experience.

I think you are in a tough pickle. For the wedding and church I would get in contact with a very physically strong relative that can be your pusher.

For the park I would recruit a relative or two, as well. Pay their park admission and any food they want in return for pushing the wheelchair all day. If you don't have any takers then the Aunt may have to pass going to the park. You may have to pay them for their time, too. If you're concerned about leaving her alone if she doesn't go to the park then you could have someone sit with her. That would be easier than pushing her in a wheelchair. I'm not sure how you would handle a restroom stop without extreme risk in a park. Family rooms would be best, but I wouldn't chance it. There's a handicap rail on one side by the wall but the actual toilet has no support.

The only scooter capable of that weight are two seat scooters; because, they are meant for two people. They are like a huge tricycle. I don't think you will find a place that will rent one. Then, you have the added problem of the length and width of this scooter not fitting through queues and such. I don't think it would be comfortable for one person to sit on it, either. These scooters are really not portable.

You would have an easier time getting someone to help with your child and you can push the wheelchair.

Sorry, but this is a tough one.

Last edited:
It is also a concern that she may not be able to go on most of the rides. That just leaves the shows. She will end up waiting for you as your child and you ride the attractions. I can't imagine that would be a very fun day for her. Not to mention that she will be out in the heat during that time. Good luck to you and I hope everything gets worked out so that you all have a great time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter