traveling with a port a cath

matthew's mom

Earning My Ears
Hi Everyone,
I was just wondering if anyone has any experience traveling with a port a cath? Any difficulties at the airport?
Thanks

Nope, none for us. We have flown with my daughter (3) who has a port in her chest, and had no problems. We did have a dr's note giving her diagnosis and detailing all the liquid meds she needs to travel with (she also has a g-tube), but no one seemed all that interested in the letter. But it made me feel better having it.

Ann

You should have no trouble a tall. Just be sure that when you get to the secruity check point at the airport that you let the first person you come to know that you have a medical device and that you need to declare medication ( if you have any, wich I assume you do). THey will take care of everythign else and it will be no big deal.

Follow the link in my signature to the disABILITIES FAQs thread.
One of the posts in that thread is about air travel and includes links to the TSA website pages about travel with special needs.

They will have the person with the portacath bypass the metal detector and do a special screening. My DD can't walk, so she needs to bypass the metal detector. The screeners do a pat down check of her, which also usually involves doing some swabs of her shoes for chemicals. I can go into more detail if you need to explain it more to the person with the portacath, but generally be prepared to have the TSA agent use a handheld scanner and also do a pat down.

Actually, my daughter just walked through the metal detector, and her port-a-cath didn't set it off. It probably depends on the type of port-a-cath, but I've heard many people say they didn't set off the metal detectors, and that there was no need for additional screening. But it doesn't hurt to be prepared.

Actually, my daughter just walked through the metal detector, and her port-a-cath didn't set it off. It probably depends on the type of port-a-cath, but I've heard many people say they didn't set off the metal detectors, and that there was no need for additional screening. But it doesn't hurt to be prepared.
Thanks for that - it probably depends on both the brand/type portacath and how sensitive the metal detector settings are set.
I know some portacaths are made of metal and plastic (with more or less metal) and some are entirely plastic.

I have heard of people who did set off the metal detector; they are probably the ones with more metal in theirs.
You may be able to find out from the manufacturer of your particular portacath whether it commonly or uncommonly sets off the metal detector. If you know the brand, they may have an education sheet like this one from a common manufacturer. If you also know the type, you should be able to tell if it has any metal in it.

My daughter has a Power Port inserted in her chest and she travels a lot. She has liters of IV fluids, syringes and lots of medication in her carry on. She has never had any problems. She goes right through security no problems, she does have a card that came with her port,but she has never had to use it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!