Travel agent discounts?

European

Mouseketeer
Does anyone know what discounts/advantages travel agents have at WDW or DLR?

My mom is a TA and she can get a travel agent rate at the Disney hotels and she can get very cheap tickets (just for herself). The travel agent rate varies by season and resort. The deals are not as good as they were when she first started years ago.

TAKitty said:
My mom is a TA and she can get a travel agent rate at the Disney hotels and she can get very cheap tickets (just for herself). The travel agent rate varies by season and resort. The deals are not as good as they were when she first started years ago.

Oh, ok thanks. Do you have an exemple in price? I mean, 10%, 50% off?

It really depends by resort availability and season. It used to be 30-70% off, now it's more in the 20-30% range, again depending on availability and season.

Those rates never qualify for free dining, and are usually in low season.

A friend who is a TA has found that she can often do better using a code and free dining.

Anne

TAs also have to qualify for TA rates, meeting certain industry criteria.

Does anyone know what kind of rates CMs get? I must've met up with a dozen people on the bus, boat, or monorail that was connected w/ a CM in some way and getting a great rate.

MickeyP said:
Does anyone know what kind of rates CMs get? I must've met up with a dozen people on the bus, boat, or monorail that was connected w/ a CM in some way and getting a great rate.
Don't quote me, but I think CMs are not allowed to divulge any info about their perks including the amount of discounts they receive ... doubt they'd be willing to lose their jobs by doing that. :)

The discounts are good! I'm staying at Beach Club next month and its 50% off rack rate. Rack rate w/tax would be $388 and I'm paying $195 a night.

I am considering taking a Travel Agent course. It says I take a test at the end and become a Certified Travel Agent.

Now how do I get the discounts?

Thanks!

:tink:

You need an IATA, CLIA, etc. card. Don't think it's some great deal, because mostly it isn't. I've only used my CLIA card once - for a discount on a Best Western for a night. DL is better, but WDW often isn't very good on discounts (I'd rather get a FL Resident or AP rate - that doesn't have to be booked in travel company, and I get my commission back).

Be a TA because you want to be one - not for deals, because the pickings are pretty slim. I certainly wouldn't "just take a course" for the opportunity to get almost nothing. Buy an AP, the perks are better. The question sounds kind of odd, just trying to be a TA for discounts?

It's been many years since we sold travel, but at that time there were no discounts unless you had your IATA card and were 'on the list.' Just being a travel agent did you no good unless you sold a minimum amount of travel each year. Your agency had to put you on 'the list' and I'm sure any agency you work for would be happy to tell you the current level of sales required.

You do have to be aware of the ramifications of traveling as a travel agent. Flashing the card occasionally got us a complimentary airline upgrade, but one time when we were traveling on a travel-agent fare, the plane developed problems (while on the ground at a midway point) and although the airline put all the passengers up at a hotel and gave them dinner/breakfast, we were traveling on a non-rev (no revenue) ticket and were on our own for the hotel and meals. We were lucky to be able to use the airline's tram to/from the airport. Not such a bargain at that point!

Thanks for the response. That is what I got from the research I did.

I was going to take the course for the discounts and to do on the side. I live in a vey rural area that does not have a travel agency, only AAA, that requires a membership.

From what I have read, it is not something that I would be able to do full time, espically in my area. I was just looking for any added benefits in case I got absolutly no business!

Thank so much!

:tink:

In order to get discounts at Disney you must hold an IATA card or be on an agency's IATA list. In order to get the card once you're on a list, you need to follow these rules...

1. the applicant must be working for either an IATA Accredited Agency location or as a qualified agent working for a non-IATA travel agency which holds a code issued by IATA for TIDS, SSI or NISI.

2. agents must have been working in the travel industry at least six months without interruption prior to their application

3. they must have earned at least $10,000 in the 12-month period preceding the application (this amount may be prorated for those working at least six but not 12 months); and

4. must currently work an average of 20 hours per week on an annual basis in a travel agency, in a remunerated position involved in the administration and/or sale of travel.

So, its not easy, and as others have said, isn't a magical card that will save you thousands of dollars. I use mine occasionally, appreciate the discounts I get, but definitely don't count on it anymore. I'm home-based, so I can appreciate your desire to sell Disney and other products in your spare time, but understand that one course (or ANY course for that matter) is not going to cut it. There is a lot to learn, and a lot that you will become liable and responsible for and after more than 8 years, a lot that I still don't understand! :confused3 There's E&O insurance to consider at at least $350/year to protect yourself from lawsuites, for one. You get one unhappy bride or one flopped vacation and it is you that the travelers are going to blame. I don't want to rain on your parade, but I just want to make sure you understand the scope of things. If you are willing, then GO FOR IT! I LOVE my business, love working from home, love traveling and love selling travel to others. It is the best thing I've done. Its a lot of work, but the rewards are great! BEST of luck with your decision! Email if you have questions...shelli@shellistravel.com. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter