Trash will now be taken every day

Seriously, if anyone thinks having a housekeeper snoop around our rooms is going to increase our safety, God help us. Anyone can walk into Disney Springs and wreak havoc. Further, anyone can get on a bus at Disney Springs and walk into the lobby of any of the resorts and go crazy. Yet, to get into EPCOT from monorail resort, my wife has to have her handbag pillaged twice by guards with unsanitized hands because she might be carrying a small knife in her wallet as told to her by one security person. Give me a break!!!

They can, but its harder to take a lot of lives in either of those situations than it is if you have prep time in a hotel room. There is a limit to how many guns/ how big of guns you can carry into a public place without security taking notice (and I'll bet that there are discretely armed security staff at DTD and the hotels) and how many people you will take out before you are taken out. Suicide bombs are horrible, but they don't tend to kill a lot of people when detonated in an open area.

On the other hand, sitting in your hotel room shooting into the crowd at the pool - or into the MK bus stops from the Contemporary - its going to take security a while to figure out which room the shots are coming from and get to you - and that's what happened with Mandalay Bay. Likewise, with a staging area, its much easier to spend time planting explosive to detonate simultaneously throughout a building, which will create a much more severe situation than a single suicide bomber. Taking out a monorail could kill hundreds.

Here is the uncomfortable reality - Disney is a terrorist target - both foreign terrorists and the domestic nutcase find a magical happy crowded place with a corporate brand attractive. Disney has an obligation to do what they can both to protect their guests and their brand. No solution will be perfect, but if they don't check rooms and someone starts sniping guests swimming in SAB out of a Beach Club window, people will ask "why weren't they checking rooms after Mandalay Bay?"

So is this daily "security check" accomplished by housekeeping during your room cleaning or in addition to housekeeping visit?

I'm thinking not only has Vegas raised concerns, but it has insurance companies running scared. Daily "room monitoring" for lack of a better term, is likely going to be required by insurers at every hotel, motel and B&B when the policies roll over.

I'm thinking not only has Vegas raised concerns, but it has insurance companies running scared. Daily "room monitoring" for lack of a better term, is likely going to be required by insurers at every hotel, motel and B&B when the policies roll over.
Very good point.

Anyone else who has been around for several years wondering what happened to all the people who wanted daily housekeeping (but didn't want to pay a la carte for it)? I seem to remember that lots of folks weren't sure DVC was going to work for them because of the housekeeping schedule.

Seems like a good chunk of us have managed to turn the lack of a "perk" into a good thing! How the worm turns, LOL.

:teeth: :teeth:

P.S. Those of you who think a "Do not Disturb" sign means hotel staff doesn't go into your room are fooling yourselves. Talk to those in the business. (All it means is you might get a louder knock before someone enters).

Just put your trash cans outside the door where they will be emptied and go on with your life.

Just put your trash cans outside the door where they will be emptied and go on with your life.

Except it's already been acknowledged this is about security. They will want to enter the room. The trash service is more or less superfluous and they will still want to enter the room.

Add us to the almost daily trip to the room for a nap. But DH will nap and I run in and out doing laundry or some task. Can't use the latch thing then.

I would hope if the "room occupied" sign is hanging, housekeeping would bypass and check back in an hour. Nothing like being alllmmmost asleep and then having knocking at the door. Then it takes 1/2 hr to get back to sleep again.

Except it's already been acknowledged this is about security. They will want to enter the room. The trash service is more or less superfluous and they will still want to enter the room.
I doubt that most housekeeping staff will pay do more than they have to.

I doubt that most housekeeping staff will pay do more than they have to.

It's starting to be reported that it is not housekeeping staff that is doing it. Now maybe that's just to start but so far it's other staff. And that's really what it would need to be if it's about security.

I have been through many of DVC changes and the “hoopla”. When they removed the mugs from studios was a particularly fun one. I even called DVC to complain on that one.

Folks we live in different times now. I personally refuse to let terrorism stop my travel, but I must admit the extra security soothes me. In fact on my 1st trip to DL this summer after I walked right into the park I questioned CM how come my bag was not checked. He questioned where I came from. I didn’t realize leaving GCV the bag check was there into the bigger secure area.:headache:
Just like when all of the cameras were put up on streets. They are not looking for petty stuff. Ie, smoking a joint on corner, stop sign rolls etc. They are looking for big stuff.
So IMO this is totally for security.... and I don’t think this is to enforce occupancy, a cigarette bud on balcony...:duck:
Will Disney maybe make a note somewhere in their files that Dvc member so and so has heroin on there bedside.... yes... will they throw u out No.
So I do think this is totally for security and I’m totally not only OK with it, it makes me feel just a lil safer.
And yes I know anything can happen anywhere I live in New York.
Edit I will have sticky notes and put chain on door when I don’t want to be disturbed and hopefully that will work.
Kerri

No mugs in the studios?

They have my magic band data. They can come while I’m in the parks.

I don’t/won’t answer the door while I’m in the room and now it appears that I’ll be adding a temporary door lock/block while I’m in the room.

I don’t care what they do while I’m not there. I won’t be disturbed while I’m in the room without it being escalated into a big deal.

Unlike most places, WDW has the technology in place to determine if I’m in the room. If they’re serious about this long term, then they need to make use of that tech.

Last edited:

I don’t/won’t answer the door while I’m in the room and now it appears that I’ll be adding a temporary door lock/block while I’m in the room.

I don’t care what they do while I’m not there. I won’t be disturbed while I’m in the room without it being escalated into a big deal.

Unlike most places, WDW has the technology in place to determine if I’m in the room. If they’re serious about this long term, then they need to make use of that tech.
Let's hope that you do not have some type of medical issue while your "temporary door lock/block" is in place. I'd want them to get to me quickly if I have an emergency and cannot help myself.

Don't see how an extra device is really necessary - just use the device provided:

shopping

If you use what is provided, they have the tools to override it more quickly than they might for something extra that you bring.

Of course, it's your choice. Be prepared to accept whatever consequences occur because of your choice. (Perhaps you'll get a personal visit from security and if you continue to use an unauthorized device, you may be asked to leave or have your account frozen. Not saying that will happen, but if this is truly about security, why draw attention to yourself like this?)

Last edited:

But they won't. It means that the check can't be systematic, and if this is really about security, the check needs to be systematic. Every room needs to be checked as they come down the hall. If they start making exceptions, or doing rooms based on who is in the park (the guy putting detonators in C-4 isn't in the park), they might as well not do it at all.

They took them out for a hot second years back, after much complaints they put them back.
Kerri
They were not there this month at SSR. Just paper cups. And not enough for our 6 day stay with just 2 people.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter