Transvestite Sues Beauty School over Rejection

olena

<font color=green>Emerald Angel<br><font color=mag
LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - A transvestite sued a Los Angeles beauty school, claiming his application was rejected when school officials realized he was not a woman.

The lawsuit, brought Wednesday by a plaintiff known only as "Sandy," is the first of its kind under a 1979 city ordinance that prohibits businesses from discrimination based on sexual orientation, "Sandy's" attorney, Gloria Allred, told Reuters.

"Sandy is not required to appear as a man because she is a man or has male genitalia," said Allred, a high-profile Los Angeles lawyer.

When he enrolled last month at the Marinello School of Beauty in Los Angeles, Sandy was perceived to be a woman, Allred said.

After passing a test and paying a $100 fee, he was accepted to the school and told to report for classes in August. "Sandy was very happy, but her happiness did not last very long," Allred said, referring to her client as a woman. "It had been her dream to attend beauty school."

Two hours later, after learning from Sandy's passport that she was legally a man, school officials called to say that she would not be permitted to attend classes because of concerns over which restroom he would use at school, Allred said.

Sandy offered to use the restroom of the school's choice or to go off campus to answer nature's call but the school refused the offer, Allred said.

"I have never ever fought for anything in my life but now it is time to fight for my rights," Sandy told reporters at a news conference on Wednesday.

School officials had no comment on the lawsuit.

The Los Angeles ordinance that Allred cited in the lawsuit defines sexual orientation not by physiology, but as "a self image not associated with one's biological maleness or one's biological femaleness."

Sandy, who surprised her friends by coming out as a man, told Reuters that his dream is to open his own salon.

"I want to make people look nice and look good and I want to make people happy," he said.

Hmm, sounds like he was willing to accomidate their concerns. As creepy as drag queens may seem, he must have been pretty good if the beauty school didn't know it was a dude until they got the paper work.

For some reason the song Beauty School Dropout was playing in my head ;)

Even though transvestites weird me out too, I don't see why they won't let him go. Does that mean NO men are allowed to school there? I think he has a good chance at winning this lawsuit.

Well, he is willing to do whatever the school wants him to do..

Don't tell me there are no men at all in this school? No janitors, instructors, business managers, ?

I've been in male dominated places, and there were still ladies rooms (even if they were on another floor/or a converted closet)

Boy is that CREEPY.........oh I don't mean the transvestite part.... I mean AGREEING WITH GLORIA ALLRED! It creeps me out that I do!;) What's the big deal? Let the guy/gal go to school and get an education...... the bathroom excuse is a cop out.

problem is that there are no men in the school - the school was just concerned of "which" restroom Sandy will use. I bet he wins this case.

ps: There is also a difference between a drag queen and a transvestite. ;)

Jason - Flying Monkeys freak me out too. But not drag queens..;) ;)

Tim Curry is not a flying Monkey.. and he doesn't creep me out...

Originally posted by Mermaid02
Boy is that CREEPY.........oh I don't mean the transvestite part.... I mean AGREEING WITH GLORIA ALLRED! It creeps me out that I do!;) What's the big deal? Let the guy/gal go to school and get an education...... the bathroom excuse is a cop out.
LOL! Totally. But as many cases as she takes, there had to be at least one that was agreeable. ;)

Jeff: isn't a drag queen gay and the other is not? Maybe I don't know my definitions all that well. LOL.

I don't see why s/he shouldn't be able to attend that school.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter