Transferring with ECV and Luggage During Split Stay

Tink's Pixieduster

DIS Veteran
I’ll be using an ECV for the first time for my trip in a few weeks. I’ll be doing a split stay – POFQ (solo) to BC (will be joined by family that’s arriving later that day).

The day I move is EMH at EP. BC is very convenient to EP and I’d like to take advantage of EMH, so I want to change resorts early. Before it became necessary for me to need an ECV, I had planned to Uber/Lyft/taxi and keep my bags with me, leaving them with bell services while I check in and then visit the park since I don't expect my room to be ready that early. Now, I have to move me, my ECV and my luggage.

I know it would be simple if I used resort transfer services and take a WDW bus from POFQ to EP, but I’d like to keep my bags with me; I could check in early at BC and I’d know my bags would be there and available, plus I’ve read enough stories on The DIS about transfers gone bad to discourage me from using resort transfer services. I’ve been trying to find options that will move me with my ECV plus my luggage.

When I arranged for the ECV from the company I’m renting it from, I asked about transferring and they suggested I contact Mears, saying they have vans that will accommodate the ECV and my luggage, but I can’t find any information anywhere about how or when to do this, or the approximate cost.

I’ve searched not only The DIS for an answer to this, but also the internet.

I know I’m not the first that has had this situation. If anyone else here has done this, how did you handle it?

How much luggage will you have? I have not had an issue using Uber XL with a manual wheelchair and luggage. When you request, you can also write a note stating that you have an ECV and luggage so the driver is prepared.

I would think that could work for you if your ECV can be broken down.

How much luggage will you have? I have not had an issue using Uber XL with a manual wheelchair and luggage. When you request, you can also write a note stating that you have an ECV and luggage so the driver is prepared.

I would think that could work for you if your ECV can be broken down.

Thanks for the suggestion! I'll have one suitcase, one carry-on and a backpack. I *think* the ECV I'm renting can be broken down; I've already made a note to find out when it's delivered.

Min Download Or prearranged with Meats to send an accessible taxi van.

OK, so Mears will pre-arrange a transfer. I looked all over the Mears website, but couldn't find any information there about how far in advance to arrange the transfer or if it can be done the same morning. I still have a few weeks to figure it out.

So sorry, but I don't know what you mean by "Min Download".

What about a minnie van? I'm guessing you'll pay more than other methods, but it sounds like that would be the easiest path.

I've never done this, just throwing an idea out there.

What about a minnie van? I'm guessing you'll pay more than other methods, but it sounds like that would be the easiest path.

I've never done this, just throwing an idea out there.

Thanks! That did occur to me, but I also checked the Disney Minnie Van website and saw nothing there about whether they could transfer a passenger, ECV and luggage, so I'm not sure if they can do that. I have no doubts it would cost more, but if it gets the job done efficiently, it is certainly worth considering.

Well, they have a few vans for ECV. And since it's just you, there will be space for a suitcase or two. I mean what's the difference between you moving a suitcase or us taking a soft sided cooler, several bags and a stroller to the water park?

Well, they have a few vans for ECV. And since it's just you, there will be space for a suitcase or two. I mean what's the difference between you moving a suitcase or us taking a soft sided cooler, several bags and a stroller to the water park?

Good point!

OK, so Mears will pre-arrange a transfer. I looked all over the Mears website, but couldn't find any information there about how far in advance to arrange the transfer or if it can be done the same morning. I still have a few weeks to figure it out.

So sorry, but I don't know what you mean by "Min Download".
I meant (even typed :)) MinnieVan.

Ask Luggage Assistance for help with an accessible Meats taxi.

I meant (even typed :)) MinnieVan.

Ask Luggage Assistance for help with an accessible Meats taxi.

Thanks, katieelder! I might visit them the day before the transfer to see about the timing.

And I knew you meant "Mears" both times. Gotta love autocorrect. :-)

We used one of the Minnie Vans that can accommodate rental ECV's and it was HUGE. You don't need to break down the ECV to be able to get it inside. I can't imagine they couldn't fit you, ECV, and luggage in there for one trip. I've seen people post the number to call them in some of the threads on the Minnie Vans so perhaps give them a call. I think you can reserve one in advance - perhaps - our driver wasn't entirely clear on that.

We used one of the Minnie Vans that can accommodate rental ECV's and it was HUGE. You don't need to break down the ECV to be able to get it inside. I can't imagine they couldn't fit you, ECV, and luggage in there for one trip. I've seen people post the number to call them in some of the threads on the Minnie Vans so perhaps give them a call. I think you can reserve one in advance - perhaps - our driver wasn't entirely clear on that.

Selket, that sounds very convenient. Do you remember the approximate cost for the Minnie Van?

I think an accessible Minnie Van would be the easiest solution. While they can take a little long than a regular Minnie Van to arrive and will be a little more expensive than an accessible taxi, I think it would be the easiest and quickest option for what you would like to do. The phone number to request one is 407-828-3500. It seems like they have really got the call center down now. I heard it wasn't a perfect experience at first, but I used it to book an airport ride on my latest trip, and it was very easy.

I think an accessible Minnie Van would be the easiest solution. While they can take a little long than a regular Minnie Van to arrive and will be a little more expensive than an accessible taxi, I think it would be the easiest and quickest option for what you would like to do. The phone number to request one is 407-828-3500. It seems like they have really got the call center down now. I heard it wasn't a perfect experience at first, but I used it to book an airport ride on my latest trip, and it was very easy.

Thanks, Staren! I'm starting to lean towards the Minnie Van just because it does seem to be the best/simplest option for what I want to do. I recall there were a few wrinkles that needed to be ironed out in general for all Minnie Vans when this service first started, but it sounds as though those have mostly been worked out now. I've saved the phone number you provided and plan to also visit with concierge at POFQ the day before I transfer to BC. I'm glad you had a good experience with it for your airport trip! I know it will probably be more expensive than the Mears shuttle, but the price for both is likely be similar, so Mears would be a good option for Plan B if for some reason the Minnie Van didn't work out. Either way, with all the information I have now, I feel the transfer should go relatively smoothly.

I appreciate everyone's input!

Selket, that sounds very convenient. Do you remember the approximate cost for the Minnie Van?
Looks like someone gave you the cost estimate. Our driver was so incredibly nice and friendly and professional I wouldn't hesitate to use them for what you're looking for.

An accessible Minnie Van would most likely be the ideal solution, you wouldn't even need to break down the ECV, just make sure they know how many people and that there will be luggage.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!