Training in the Snow?

WIFriendofFigment

Earning My Ears
This is my first year preparing for a winter half. I've run in the snow before, but it's been more on an "if I feel like it" basis rather than on a training schedule. How do you adjust your training plans for snowy runs? My plan is by miles, but 6.5 on dry pavement is so not the the same as in the icy mess I trudged through this morning. I do have the option to run on a treadmill, but I don't want to train exclusively there. Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks!

I'm no runner but I have been walking 2.5 miles almost every day since April and the past few days have been in the snow and cold.
I have traction things I put on my shoes and it makes it much easier to briskly walk and do a tiny bit of jogging.
Hopefully someone else will be able to help more.
Good luck!

You don't have to exclusively use a treadmill, but on days when it is icy or it has just snowed, I would use it (if you are in an area where you have it daily, then you may just be stuck). I personally don't like running in the cold, so winter months I do a lot of treadmill and then bundle up and head out only on relatively warm days (days above freezing) so it's not a huge deal for me.

I live in Pittsburgh, so we get our fair share of snow and ice. When there is snow and ice on the roads, I try to keep the runs as flat as possible. If you live in an area that has ALOT of snow, check out your local running store. There are items that you can put over your shoes (I believe they are called Yaktrax...or something like that) that you help run in the snow and ice. It has to be totally covered though or else it may be more difficult to run in them when you hit cleared pavement.

I think it depends on what run you're training for. If you're training for a run where race day conditions aren't likely to have heavy snow and ice (such as Disney) then I would say on the long days if you feel safer running on a treadmill to do so. If on the other hand snow and ice is a realistic possibility for the half you're training for I would invest in some Yaktrax which will allow you more ease when running in snow but as mentioned above are not beneficial for running on uncovered surfaces. The goal is to get to the start healthy and as well prepared as you can be. Whatever method you think will get you there is what you should use.

I don't run outside if it's covered in snow/ice & unsafe. If it's not too slippery & there's still plenty of dry spots to move to I will go out but keep it fairly short as I don't want to slip on black ice (looks dry but slick) and get hurt, pull something if about to fall, etc. I don't follow any set plan so I'll just easily change my days up if I can't run outside due to weather, keep it shorter on iffy days and save longer runs for nicer days. But if you have a treadmill and you don't mind running on it I would use it on those not so nice weather days if you're schedule isn't flexible. Some people by yak trax for their shoes or I have heard of putting screws for traction, I've never done any of those though.

This question has been on my mind as well --- so far, I've been able to work around the little bits of snow/ice we've had. A few day I've been out have had some patches of ice on the ground though, or big slush puddles, so I've had to alter my stride/pace to work around that -- so my pace has been slower on several recent runs. But, I've been staying on top of the distances on my training schedule. Not sure how making the distances at a slower pace will ultimately impact my performance at the PHM, but I am generally just wanting to "finish in the upright position" so I think it will be ok.

I am avoiding the treadmill as much as I can -- but if there are conditions where I just feel like I can't run safely, I'll have to hop on (I'd be so, so sad if I ended up getting an ice-related slip injury or something!).

I just ran a 12 miler in 3-6 inches of loose snow on streets that had not been plowed. I don't recommend it unless you are pretty strong. I mean, a few miles might not be a problem, but the 12 miles tired my legs in a way that was worse than the 24 miler that I did the next day.

Like sand, loose snow moves and shifts under your feet. You have to be careful to keep your weight directly over your hips or you risk a fall. And the shifting snow produces countless mini-slips throughout the run. The real risk is in the mini-slips. Even though they are minor and don't cause you to fall, they cause you to use muscles in ways in which they are unaccustomed. This can easily result in all sorts of soft tissue injuries.

A few miles = no big deal, but listen to your body and be prepared to shut it down when your legs get too tired. That's when the injuries happen.

I love winter running. I do normally roll back my miles in the winter because it is when I allow my body to recover but I have training for early spring races in some pretty bad weather. My suggestion is to make sure to dress correctly and that means you are a little cold for the first mile and then warm up. To echo some of what PPs have said make sure not to lean into turns and make sure to land with your weight under your body, not out in front of it. Don't rely only on reflective gear in the winter and get some lights. I really like these or these, both from Nathan, and I like wearing both red and blue on the front and back. There is something about red and blue flashing lights that just make people notice. I also have a headlamp for areas with no or little street lighting.

Lastly, I stay off of sidewalks all year and run in the street but really recommend it in the winter. The streets around me are well plowed and salted and rarely icy while sidewalks are often not tended at all. Good luck.

I LOVE the snow and LOVE winter running, so if it's not actively piling up on the street or not icy, I will go out!

I was surprised to find that I do enjoy running in the snow as long as it's not too deep or icy as well. I do have another brand of shoe spike things. They're not yak trax, but they're basically the same idea. It does take a lot more out of me to run in the snow than just a normal run though, so I feel like it should "count" for more than miles on dry pavement do.

Does anyone run by time rather than distance for winter? The half I'm training for is the Princess, so there obviously shouldn't be snow there, but I want to make sure I don't lose too much of my strength for hill running over the winter by running on just the treadmill all winter. If I avoid snow completely, I'd probably be stuck inside until April in WI. It's been two days since our last snowfall and the city streets are still snow-covered and deep enough to warrant the spike things if I head outside.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter