• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Trails End Buffet Gone Forever

wonder if a restaurant would do better if it had at a more central location at the Fort near the pool. If you don't have a cart it is a long walk to TE from much of the campground.

I think it works fine the way it is. Especially for the shared kitchens and visitors via boats. I know it’s not much, but the centrally located Meadow’s snack bar helps a little.

One of the issues I noticed last month in the area was lack of space. The playground was moved to the center with many food trucks brought in around it.

If TE had went back to a proper buffet with fried chicken, the food trucks wouldn’t stand a chance.

I also believe TE being open like a cafeteria for QS finally caught someone’s attention. So a brand new concept was born :rolleyes:. Consolidate TE and possibly even P&Js, Crocketts, and the food trucks into a farmer’s market/cafeteria. More city; less fort. Chip away at the ol’ culture.

Idk, maybe it’ll go great with the whole post-apocalyptic aesthetic.

I think it works fine the way it is. Especially for the shared kitchens and visitors via boats. I know it’s not much, but the centrally located Meadow’s snack bar helps a little.

One of the issues I noticed last month in the area was lack of space. The playground was moved to the center with many food trucks brought in around it.

If TE had went back to a proper buffet with fried chicken, the food trucks wouldn’t stand a chance.

I also believe TE being open like a cafeteria for QS finally caught someone’s attention. So a brand new concept was born :rolleyes:. Consolidate TE and possibly even P&Js, Crocketts, and the food trucks into a farmer’s market/cafeteria. More city; less fort. Chip away at the ol’ culture.

Idk, maybe it’ll go great with the whole post-apocalyptic aesthetic.
Last year I had a skillet similar to Whispering Canyon at TE, roast chicken and corn that seemed to have been boiled in oil.

We've been back to the Fort since then but not TE, the food was underwhelming.

I've always loved the slightly spooky vintage vibe at Trail's End. Anyone else know what I mean?

Yes, and have you ever driven around the campground at night when it’s quiet? Spooky vibes.

There’s something special about that place. I wasn’t surprised by what happened next door ;)

The post-covid version was not great. I am sad for the servers at TE. They have been always been good to us. I wish they would have brought the buffet back 😭

I did see Ken working at Trails End when I was there at Thanksgiving. He's a LONG time server there. Many folks have worked there for decades and retired (like Paulette and Josephine of P&J's fame).

And I agree with @Lehuaann that with multiple food trucks down there a few nights a week plus the playground (which in itself was probably a good idea) it does get crowded and loud and too many golf carts around there. My campsite in 100 loop was getting a lot of noise on those nights.

I never ate the skillet/covid meal offering at Trails End.

Bama Ed

Yes, and have you ever driven around the campground at night when it’s quiet? Spooky vibes.

There’s something special about that place. I wasn’t surprised by what happened next door ;)
Yes. I love that vintage WDW vibe, and the Fort is one of the last places that delivers on that. The atmosphere at Trail's End feels like mid-70s camping trip, instantly takes me back to our first visit to HDDR in April, 1974, when I was 8.

But I guess when they build the new DVC eye sore behind Pioneer Hall in a few years, it will have the table service offerings and the Fort will be the low service offering for meal guests.
Is this a definite thing that is happening or something everyone is expecting to happen?

We love the Fort and stay at the cabins. We love the option of Trail’s End, but honestly, quick service suits is better. Being able to order while on the boat back from MK and drive it back to the cabin is just so convenient. Still, we will miss TE.

If only they could have kept P&J’s and TE and opened a marketplace close to the bus stop near check-in. That would have been excellent.

I just talked to one of the bartenders at Crocketts and she said it’s true, they were told officially with no exact dates.

Per the bartender, Crockett’s will stay but will be updated/refubished at the same time as TE. She said they’ve been using outdated equipment and need the update.

Longtime servers were pretty upset as one can understand but other serving jobs will be made available for those that will not have a position when the dust settles. I saw Paulette two days ago at TE but didn’t get to ask her about this situation. I hope to see her again when I have breakfast over there in a few days.

Staff was told TE will be down from “spring” to the “summer” whatever that means.
😭

I'm steaming over this. We have eaten at TE during every annual trip there, both pre- and post- covid. While we prefer the buffet, we still enjoyed our meals. DH and I also love the atmosphere and staff. We even came over on day trips to eat there and brought friends in too.
If they are losing money, they should never have stopped the resort boats or the buffet. That would have brought in other resort guests to enjoy another dining option.
I just feel like they are purposely trying to kill off the old fort that Walt envisioned. It all started with the DVC resort and removing our exercise trail to the Wilderness Lodge.
The new marketplace could have been built over by Meadows to provide more dining options.

We're thinking of going over to eat there one last time and taking a video of the whole interior. I'm afraid all of the great decorations/pieces will be gone. I just hope we can get reservations.

I know I'm rambling, but I need to voice my displeasure over this.

I just talked to one of the bartenders at Crocketts and she said it’s true, they were told officially with no exact dates.

Per the bartender, Crockett’s will stay but will be updated/refubished at the same time as TE. She said they’ve been using outdated equipment and need the update.

Longtime servers were pretty upset as one can understand but other serving jobs will be made available for those that will not have a position when the dust settles. I saw Paulette two days ago at TE but didn’t get to ask her about this situation. I hope to see her again when I have breakfast over there in a few days.

Staff was told TE will be down from “spring” to the “summer” whatever that means.
😭
Glad crocketts it’s staying. It’s my favorite bar on property

😭
Thanks for the intel. PJs is staying open during the refurb right?

Thanks for the intel. PJs is staying open during the refurb right?
I'm hoping the keep the P&J name even if they rename it the P&J Marketplace. Can't see why they wouldn't keep the PJ's take out menu and add to it.

Well, fiddle dee dee! I never ate at TE (buffets = X-contamination) but we did P&Js takeout and it was delicious and 'safe'. It's a shame if that will be gone.

And what we're getting is basically a mall 'food court'? That usually means cheap, chintzy food offerings and probably no or very little food that's safe for allergies.

In fact, if you google 'WDW food court' and click on the various hotel food courts you'll see very little variation. Burger/chicken burger, cold sammies, salads, blah blah blah.

Sigh. It's a sad, sad day.

Last edited:
I'm hoping the keep the P&J name even if they rename it the P&J Marketplace. Can't see why they wouldn't keep the PJ's take out menu and add to it.
I want to make sure it will be open though this summer. I’d imagine it would have to stay open as there aren’t any other options.

Is this a definite thing that is happening or something everyone is expecting to happen?

Oh it's coming.

Disney paused the Reflections project due to covid impact on DVC purchases as they were trying to get Riviera up and going. R was going to be the next project. But they paused it and instead went with a sure-fire small/quick sell and are working on the Tower at the Poly where they tore down the "Spirit of Aloha" dinner show theater.

But Disney paid a lot of money to finally dispose of River Country behind Pioneer Hall, sculpt the land, and lay utilities into the area (they tore up our Exercise Trail from the Fort to Wilderness Lodge to use as a utility right-of-way). They want a return on that investment.

So there is this ugly scrim fence covering behind Pioneer Hallcurrently. Disney never said that R was "cancelled". Work just stopped and any reference to it online just "disappeared".

Now to answer your question.

This past Halloween 2022 I was at the Fort and had an opportunity to talk briefly with the Fort's General Manager (I think the Fort is paired with Wilderness Lodge and one GM covers them both). Anyway, he is the top Fort dog in management. I asked him if we were going to get our Exercise Trail back to Wilderness Lodge (which I enjoyed walking). He said YES in about 3 years. (which I took to mean it should be back after they finish the DVC/resort buildout behind Pioneer Hall and lay fresh blacktop over the right-of-way again where the Trail was). Meaning after they get Poly Tower nearly complete, they'll return to the Fort's back yard (my prediction).

There is (some sort of) logic to make changes at the existing Fort dining area which will fit with a new DVC/resort. For example, if the Fort has HDDR (dinner show) and all Quick/Counter service dining, maybe the new DVC/resort would NOT have to have any and save that expense. It would have Table Service only so we're looking at a "merger" of those common areas like dining, recreation, entertainment to maximize/modify existing service (Fort) and supplement with the new (DVC/resort). That approach (sharing services) is "win-win" on paper for each but we suffer the loss of our beloved Table Service dining option, Trails End.

Disney is going to build on that Bay Lake waterfront property behind Pioneer Hall. The R design was generically pretty but didn't fit the Fort vibe at all. And it encroached terribly onto the Fort down by TE. Hopefully, if we MUST have timeshare folks staying with us at the Fort, that Disney "refreshes" the design to fit the Wilderness vibe.

Hope that answers your question.

Bama Ed

PS - can you imagine:

- DVC/resort folks walking their dogs around our camping loops?
- DVC/resort folks being given the option to rent our golf carts?
- DVC/resort folks gathering on our dock to watch the Electric Light Parade and use our boat transportation to MK?
- DVC/resort folks coming into the Fort to attend the Chip & Dale campfire singalong and movie night?

Great for Disney's bottom line but bad for all of us campers. But hey, I'm just an old cranky guy.

Gonna go hide back in 1500 on the back outside of the loop and take my folding chair over the mound towards the canal where it's nice and quiet and wait for the turkeys to fly over the water for the day then return at night. That's my plan to deal with it. May have to give up my love of 100 loop.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter